Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. This is my first post. Just discovered this great site full of useful info. Anyway, I've been offered places at Nottingham and Manchester to study Law (plus Newcastle, Birmingham and waiting for Durham). I really like the city of Manchester and quite a few of my friends might be going there too. Overall, I would prefer to go to Manchester but I've noticed that Nottingham guarantees a place on the Barristers' training course after the degree whereas Manchester doesn't - it just says it has strong links with the law schools. Nottingham seems to have a slightly better reputation than Manc as well. Has anyone got any thoughts?? How much do these differences matter?

Cheers,

Joe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMutantGerbil)
    Hi everyone. This is my first post. Just discovered this great site full of useful info. Anyway, I've been offered places at Nottingham and Manchester to study Law (plus Newcastle, Birmingham and waiting for Durham). I really like the city of Manchester and quite a few of my friends might be going there too. Overall, I would prefer to go to Manchester but I've noticed that Nottingham guarantees a place on the Barristers' training course after the degree whereas Manchester doesn't - it just says it has strong links with the law schools. Nottingham seems to have a slightly better reputation than Manc as well. Has anyone got any thoughts?? How much do these differences matter?

Cheers,

Joe
    Can't offer any particularly specific advice. But I presume if you get a good class of degree from a traditional university like Manchester then you will find your way onto a Barristers' training course pretty easily?

For what it's worth, being a student here is awesome and I couldn't recommend it enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Can't offer any particularly specific advice. But I presume if you get a good class of degree from a traditional university like Manchester then you will find your way onto a Barristers' training course pretty easily?

For what it's worth, being a student here is awesome and I couldn't recommend it enough.
    Yeh, the city looks wicked despite it's apparently high crime rate. What do you find so good about being a student at Manchester? Also, what accommodation are you in (or were you in in your first year)? Have you got any advice for which halls/flats to apply for? Oak House looks nice at first glance. Cheers for your advice,

Joe

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, the city looks wicked despite it's apparently high crime rate. What do you find so good about being a student at Manchester? Also, what accommodation are you in (or were you in in your first year)? Have you got any advice for which halls/flats to apply for? Oak House looks nice at first glance. Cheers for your advice,

Joe
    Nottingham for Law is better than Manchester for Law - in terms of degree prestige etc.

being honest.

ReputationRep:
    notts has probably got a better reputation and if it garentees you a place on a barristers training course then thats a really good thing because it will take a lot of preassure of you. The campus is lovely up there as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emom100)
    notts has probably got a better reputation and if it garentees you a place on a barristers training course then thats a really good thing because it will take a lot of preassure of you. The campus is lovely up there as well.
    ditto - notts is better for law - higher standard required.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd go to Notts but everywhere you've applied is pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Personally I'd go to Notts but everywhere you've applied is pretty good.
    Its harder to get into Notts and the standard is higher, grades needed etc.

however, if u got offers from both, then u shud defo go to Notts.

ReputationRep:
    You are all saying nottingham is better for law but in an attempt to justify wanting to go to Manchester, I found that the Guardian website ranks Manchester as 8th for law but Nottingham as only 11th. Surely this is a good reflection of the teaching standards at the uni. I seem to remember that nottingham actually placed higher the last time I looked (sometime last year). This must have been updated recently and Manchester must have improved. Well, that gives me hope at least. Anyone who goes to Manchester - what are your thoughts? What makes it such a good place?

Joe

ReputationRep:
    You are all saying nottingham is better for law but in an attempt to justify wanting to go to Manchester, I found that the Guardian website ranks Manchester as 8th for law but Nottingham as only 11th. Surely this is a good reflection of the teaching standards at the uni. I seem to remember that nottingham actually placed higher the last time I looked (sometime last year). This must have been updated recently and Manchester must have improved. Well, that gives me hope at least. Anyone who goes to Manchester - what are your thoughts? What makes it such a good place?

Joe
    Sorry, but I believe that The Guardian's law rankins are crap. Cambridge is 4th (behind Oxford, Warwick, UCL) and Northumbria is 15th. Quite bizarre.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.