Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Since when did it become your right to work? Employers are under no obligation to emply any tom **** and harry. It's their own money they lose if it all goes belly up.

AND as a FYI, there's a lot of jobs going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noobynoo)
    a good excuse for being unemployed is that you get "free money" from the government. With that incentive it's surprising anyone works at all.
    Maybe with a big family, but a single person? I hardly think £50 gets the pulse racing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jason2)
    ...a single person? I hardly think £50 gets the pulse racing.
    ...plus about £150 pounds housing benefits and 90% off council tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth)
    What makes you so sure? When 200 people apply to these jobs, the person with the restaurant or cleaning experience will be chosen over the people without experience or the over qualified graduate.
    Maybe the specifics of getting a job as a cleaner may be untrue but the whole point, which everybody seems to be missing, is that there are jobs out there. As much as the OP is trolling there's some truth in that there are too many people claiming there aren't jobs at all.

As for what makes me so sure, I've had a job working in a top restauraunt in Liverpool whilst not having any experience nor any paid work at all for 5 years during the past year, the time the country has been considered "jobless".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrelevance)
    is that there are jobs out there.
    That maybe true, but it doesn't remove the fact that most have so many people applying that your chances are next to zero.

Plus, it hugely depends on where you live. Nationally there may be vacancies, but locally there may not be.

Also don't forget that the 500,000 vacancies also includes part time work (which will not pay the bills), temporary work (which will mean the person will be back on the dole soon) and posts that will probably be filled by internal candidates.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the specifics of getting a job as a cleaner may be untrue but the whole point, which everybody seems to be missing, is that there are jobs out there. As much as the OP is trolling there's some truth in that there are too many people claiming there aren't jobs at all.

As for what makes me so sure, I've had a job working in a top restauraunt in Liverpool whilst not having any experience nor any paid work at all for 5 years during the past year, the time the country has been considered "jobless".
    Just because there are jobs doesn't mean people are qualified for them, or have the necessary experience... For every job there are a LOT of applicants, so the odds aren't good. It's not as simple as, "there are jobs, people should just get them".
    You have been lucky, but all of the 2.5 million unemployed can't be as lucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lassilsa)
    It is my bleeding business when I paid £600 tax in one month to support JSA.
    Hmmm - can I ask, do you read the Daily Mail often?

To be fair - I'm assuming that guy had been working, and had also contributed to JSA during his working life. JSA is there for those who fall on hard times, and is meant to enable them to pick themselves up. It's also different in different industries to get work.

Surely - if you were made redundant and found it hard to get work, you would like to think there was help when you really needed it? (considering you had already paid into JSA in your working life)

Obviously those who play the system and take advantage of it should have more self-respect and work, that's a no-brainer.

ReputationRep:
    Unemployed scouse gap year student here.

No jobs here in Liverpool, looking for three months now. OP, why don't you come and have a look? I mean since you're telling me there are jobs to be had...I must have printed off a rainforests worth of CV's to jobs, and I'm still on JSA. As are so many people...even cleaning toilets is a job I would (and have) considered. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. But you have a look at the massive queues outside our job centres, and everyones permanent depressed faces, and you tell me there are ****ing jobs out there. Seriously, **** off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keckers)
    How about you form an opinion based on things other than the semi-meme 'DailyFail' and reading a few select articles in the Guardian every now and then.
    I think you've misunderstood my comment. I was implying that the OP must read the daily mail because of his ignoramus opinion. The sort that the daily mail seems to spread.

I hate the daily mail. More than you could ever possibly userstand. And, btw I do read the guardian. Either that or the independent .

And, thank you for introducing me to the term "DailyFail" , I will cherish it forever .

ReputationRep:
    It's hard for some people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Googleplex66)
    Unemployed scouse gap year student here.

No jobs here in Liverpool, looking for three months now.
    I had a job interview in Liverpool on Monday and I don't even live there. :P

I think when most people say "there are no jobs" they're saying it in the same context a woman might say "men suck" after a bad date. They don't seriously mean all men suck or that there are no jobs at all. It boils down to there not being enough jobs or good men and thus they're having a ****ty time in their hunt for one.

Also you got lucky with that job. Almost all other restaurants would have given the job to the guy with the most experience.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.