Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creak)
    >2.5 million unemployed.

~400,000 jobs.

Do you need it explained in further detail?
    and what is stopping people saving up or getting a business loan to set up a business themselves as I have done? A bit of self motivation doesn't hurt anyone. I have paid over £25,000 in tax in the last 3 years from setting up my own business and I have PsA. I see people claiming incapacity benefit for depression.

It's not hard at all if you put your mind to it. People in today's world just expect the perfect job straight away, a good starting wage without decent qualifications and lack ambition and self motivation.

Anyone can put together a business plan to start a business to make money. I started at 17 during college so it's not hard at all. You'll only get out of life what you put in.

I know of 5 people in my family who don't work and they're lazy as fook or moan about the jobs they get and quit within a couple of weeks. Fook em, I don't care for them. If they're too lazy to look after themselves then why should I care for them? they can get fooked the lazy *******s!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    and what is stopping people saving up or getting a business loan to set up a business themselves as I have done? A bit of self motivation doesn't hurt anyone. I have paid over £25,000 in tax in the last 3 years from setting up my own business and I have PsA. I see people claiming incapacity benefit for depression.

It's not hard at all if you put your mind to it. People in today's world just expect the perfect job straight away, a good starting wage without decent qualifications and lack ambition and self motivation.

Anyone can put together a business plan to start a business to make money. I started at 17 during college so it's not hard at all. You'll only get out of life what you put in.

I know of 5 people in my family who don't work and they're lazy as fook or moan about the jobs they get and quit within a couple of weeks. Fook em, I don't care for them. If they're too lazy to look after themselves then why should I care for them? they can get fooked the lazy *******s!
    Some people are lazy, but some people are seriously stuck.
    Not everyone has the knowledge to set up their own business, or the money to do so in the first place (if you're unemployed, you clearly can't "save up" for it). There's that, and you're assuming they have a skill to sell to people, and then assuming that there is currently a decent demand for that skill?
    It's not as simple for EVERYONE to simply start a business, although I agree some should make more of an effort.

ReputationRep:
    Don't most businesses fail at startup?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
    Don't most businesses fail at startup?
    The vast majority, as far as I'm aware. Once you get past that you have much better chances but it's still shakey. Capitalism, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)

So the 2.1 million people that are unemployed without a job to fill should.. start their own business? :confused: What a silly idea.

Not to mention the bit in bold which is laughable. Banks loaning to even profitable businesses is getting rare, let alone startups

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spyka)
    So the 2.1 million people that are unemployed without a job to fill should.. start their own business? :confused: What a silly idea.

Not to mention the bit in bold which is laughable. Banks loaning to even profitable businesses is getting rare, let alone startups
    A business can employ multiple people meaning that no where near 2.1m businesses would need to be made.

ReputationRep:
    I do feel some people in this thread are talking having never applied for the so called "****ty" jobs such as cleaners or fast food workers.

With so many people unemployed employees can take full advantage. Nowadays even a bog standard cleaner job needs a few years experience in cleaning, knowledge of industry machines (depending on the job), etc. Same with fast food jobs. Employees have a huge selection and so can increase the requirements to get better works, leaving out those who are younger and lack experience.

The other problem with such jobs is the hours. Cleaners certainly. My local public transport system is non-existant before 8AM and pretty much stops at 6PM, it'd be impossible to actually GET to work even if you managed to have a job. Running a car is getting more and more expensive which just adds to the limitations on jobs can accept.

It's utlimately a catch-22 situation. The jobs that are open require years of experience, whether it be a £100k a year job or even a minimum wage cleaners job. However in order to get experience you need a job!

The only way its going to be resolved is by waiting

ReputationRep:
    I suppose working in a brothel is classed as a 'job'

ReputationRep:
    Some people on benefits clearly have no intention to work. Ever.

However, for some people, getting a job is damn hard work! My OH lost his job a couple of months ago and applied for jobs left right and centre - jobs he was overqualified for, jobs he would have hated but would still have done if that was all he'd got, jobs which paid significantly less than he'd been on before being made redundant - everything. He got rejections from every single one he applied for. He even went around all the local carpenters, joiners and builders asking if they had any jobs going. We resorted to both getting evening jobs at the local pub - me as a waitress and him as a pot washer just so we could afford the mortgage (who only employed us because they're friends and they knew how desperate we were - they already have more staff than they can give shifts to on their books). He eventually managed to get another job, thank gawd, but it took one hell of a lot of effort. One employer we spoke to said they'd had over 200 applications for the job they'd advertised, and there was nothing special/highly paid about that job. A lot of people are having the same problem as my OH did - too many people are competing for a limited number of jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously - so the solution for you is for all unemployed people to start a business? No offence but it seems like you are incredibly naive and have never had to live in the real world and have had everything handed to you on a plate in your life. So it's going good for you now, and you were very lucky (the vast majority of businesses fail. Period). Congratulations. But it doesn't work that way for most people in society and so you should probably get off your moral high horse and take a reality check.
    I'm 27 - have a fair amount of experience in all sorts of jobs, industrial, cleaning, administration etc etc . I also have A-levels and a national diploma from one uni and i'm currently transferring universities to start a 5 year masters degree in city planning and need to raise the first years tuition fees by myself (no funding for transfer students for the first year).
    I have applied for EVERY single job I could possible do for the past 3 weeks, and I have heard nothing back. Zippo. I have experience in most the positions I am applying for and I am overqualified for most to be honest. I phoned for one job and the guy said he'd get back to me, then I heard nothing. So phoned back 12 times at various times of the day and got no answer. I left two messages, again nothing...That's just rude and it's pretty demoralising.
    I desperately need money for my tuition fees, so it's not as if i'm just being lazy because basically if I don't find work I can't study. Period. Time is running out.

Now I don't have a clue how to start a business and even if I did then I don't have the capital. Secondly, not everyone in society should be looking to start businesses, some of us are destined to do other things - like in my case architecture and city planning (pretty essential services to society) both because I enjoy it and I feel I am fulfilling my potential and rendering a service to my community and society as a whole, rather than just working solely to make money and profit. I think I can offer the world something better than that.

ReputationRep:
    Does voluntary work count?

I do some car-boot sales and write reviews online for money too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloboshoka)
    Does voluntary work count?

I do some car-boot sales and write reviews online for money too.
    What site do you use? Dooyoo? I used it ages ago, but forgot about it and so just donated all the money I made to charity, as I couldn't convert it to cash...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keckers)
    The 'excuse' for being unemployed is often that they are worse off (after travelling to the job etc) working than if they were benefits.

While I don't agree with the welfare state I have absolutely no qualms with people who are financially better off on the dole than not working; it's about self preservation.

That said, there is work there if you are looking for it and it is a viable option. As much as I hate to use anecdotal evidence in my experience there is almost always a vacancy at a fast food restaurant that needs to be filled. The turnover of employees at places like McDonalds is incredibly high.
    Obviously there are going to be people who need what the state provides, and for those that TRULY need it, then I have no qualms. But to say it's ok for someone to stay on the dole for self-preservation? Maybe if they required the benefits just to survive. But other than that, I think the laws should be changed so that if you are an able-bodied adult with no excuse then you should only be provided for by the society somewhere near the bare minimum to survive. There is no excuse for such a person to leech off of the rest of us, even if they are "better off".

I wasn't sure what your view on this was based on your post, so I thought I'd elaborate on it with my views.

Like you said, there are almost always vacancies at fast-food places, so a lot of the problem is that people think they are too good for certain jobs, IMO :/.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's unfair to generalise and say "there's no excuse" - we have a large number of natives who can't find jobs due to large-scale immigration....having said that, on the flip-side, there are plenty of Brits who simply want to use immigration as an excuse to not bother trying to find a job....benefits are more appealing than having to work long hours for little pay like many immigrants have to.

2 obvious sides here....but generalising in either case is unfair. Yes we have a problem with jobs at the moment...but no, we cannot simply blame all of the immigrants that come here to work.

If we recognise the economic and social arrangements generated through capitalism are inequitable by some degree or other then the issue of what attitude people should have towards their unemployment and welfare opportunities is surely trumped.

To abstract the issue; it's reasonable to expect us to play by the rules of a game which we have had some hand in agreeing to and which treat us all equitably, but if those rules have been established by some groups for their own benefit to the disbenefits of others and if such rules thus treat some groups inequitably, what responsibility do the inequitably treated thus have to play by them?

I say good luck to anyone who can make best use of a system which is more or less organised to either exploit or alienate them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    If we recognise the economic and social arrangements generated through capitalism are inequitable by some degree or other then the issue of what attitude people should have towards their unemployment and welfare opportunities is surely trumped.

To abstract the issue; it's reasonable to expect us to play by the rules of a game which we have had some hand in agreeing to and which treat us all equitably, but if those rules have been established by some groups for their own benefit to the disbenefits of others and if such rules thus treat some groups inequitably, what responsibility do the inequitably treated thus have to play by them?

I say good luck to anyone who can make best use of a system which is more or less organised to either exploit or alienate them.
    That is a very interesting opinion, and it lets me understand your point of view much better indeed.

So basically what you are trying to say is that they should be angry at the system because it is against them from the get go. I would argue otherwise, but hey, different thread.

P.S. The first sentence could use a comma or two, it took a few tries to figure out what you were saying Also, I look forward to when you and Darkademic face off...

(Original post by mjeezy)
    That is a very interesting opinion, and it lets me understand your point of view much better indeed.

So basically what you are trying to say is that they should be angry at the system because it is against them from the get go. I would argue otherwise, but hey, different thread.

P.S. The first sentence could use a comma or two, it took a few tries to figure out what you were saying Also, I look forward to when you and Darkademic face off...
    Sorry, I have a habit, if I'm not concentrating, of long sentences and inconsistently applied punctuation.

Ideally I'd start out cautioning people against slipping into an unwitting functionalism when thinking about what an individual's 'duties' or 'responsibilities' are, either in relation to the state or wider society.

I'm not so much saying that people should be angry at the system because the system doesn't really operate in their interests (though they probably should get angry). I'm saying that if you're forced to play a game where the rules are not really arranged equitably, but are arranged to favour some groups over others, and in fact operate to your general, or specific, disadvantage, then you shouldn't feel compelled to obey those rules.

ReputationRep:
    I graduated last summer with a 1st from Bristol. I applied for over 60 jobs every single week for 6 months including minimum wage jobs, and I didn't get a single interview!!!

And before you ask, I have a brilliant academic record in terms of A levels and GCSE's, i worked 2 voluntary jobs during my time at uni, and i have 3 years full time work experience on my CV as well.

With all that i still couldn't get a single interview in 6 months of trying! In the end, i took out another loan and enrolled on a master degree course, but it wasn't what i wanted to do.

So for all those people who put down the long term unemployed.....shut your stupid, ugly & retarded faces. I am coming round your house to shag your mum and take a dump in your dads mouth.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. So tell me why I can't seem to get a job when I've got almost 4 years experience working reception/admin supervisor?

There's barely any jobs to apply for, and even then you're lucky to hear back at all let alone to be told you aren't getting it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by el scampio)
    I graduated last summer with a 1st from Bristol. I applied for over 60 jobs every single week for 6 months including minimum wage jobs, and I didn't get a single interview!!!

And before you ask, I have a brilliant academic record in terms of A levels and GCSE's, i worked 2 voluntary jobs during my time at uni, and i have 3 years full time work experience on my CV as well.

With all that i still couldn't get a single interview in 6 months of trying! In the end, i took out another loan and enrolled on a master degree ourse, but it wasn't what i wanted to do.

So for all those people who put down the long term unemployed.....shut your stupid, ugly & retarded faces. I am coming round your house to shag your mum and take a dump in your dads mouth.
    60 jobs a week for 6months and you couldnt get a job? FYL your doing something wrong
    in the last year alone ive started 3 jobs 1 was full time, then quit that when i got into uni and got 2 part time jobs 1 for at home 1 at uni and had offers from all 5 places ive applied
    they are retail jobs but thats better than none

3 of my mates have got decent paying full time jobs since xmas, if you dont get a deent job within a few months, take up one of the many retail vacancies that seem to be available rather than moaning

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.