Turn on thread page Beta

Is David Cameron right that mass immigration has damaged communities? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    What is third world culture? What does it involve? And how do you go about practising it?
    It wasn't my favorite use of terminology tbf. I used it to quote Scottish. I'm assuming that when he used the term, he meant things such as the attitudes to women that are said to be part of some cultures, for example. However, my point was that things such as this still happen in more developed countries, and even though things such as the forementioned do happen in third world countries, there are also many parts of the different cultures that should be celebrated.

You can't practice it, because I don't suppose that it is a real term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itzme)
    why is it a a negative thing that Muslims don't go out clubbing? You do know what clubbing is like, it's not something to promote!!! Now even our decision not to go to such a place is badly looked upon! :rolleyes:
    i hate clubbing, but i was making the point that you wouldnt want to be surrounded by muslims in your community solely because you wouldnt want to be surrounded with people who are socially incompatible with you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Well said. You can't judge someone else unless you've walked in their shoes.
    Can you get them to lend me their shoes then?

ReputationRep:
    It has just killed communities it has killed vast parts of England off once a great nation now mainly a nation where non European immigrants take advantage so often very very sad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milk <3)
    i hate clubbing, but i was making the point that you wouldnt want to be surrounded by muslims in your community solely because you wouldnt want to be surrounded with people who are socially incompatible with you
    I'm not Islamic - and not even a follower of any religion, but I don't think I would care very much if I was surrounded by Muslims in the community in which I live. In fact, I once even lived in London as the only non-Muslim in a house with four other Muslims. Why would they be 'socially incompatible' with me? Or are you just talking horse manure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackthevillain)
    It has just killed communities it has killed vast parts of England off once a great nation now mainly a nation where non European immigrants take advantage so often very very sad.
    'Killed communities'? What happened - were they rounded up and taken to concentration camps?

'Killed vast parts of England'? What happened - was a scorched earth policy implemented?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob247)
    I know a couple of people like that.

They're all mothers of fairly wealthy individuals who have brought their elderly parents over so they can experience a better lifestyle. None of them live off the country's resources because their children cover all their costs, directly injecting money into the economy.

Don't believe everything you read.

And even if this specific woman was different, so what? She couldn't just be there with nothing to do. She was obviously contributing to society in someway, even if it was just cleaning the houses of other indian families, families who contribute a lot to the economy - there was obviously a demand for her and she met it.
    exactly. Its hard for old people to learn English. But having said that, I don't think being absolutely fluent in English is necessary - my grandma and mum learnt English when they came to this country from East Africa and they had jobs and contributed to the economy.

And just for the record, I think most immigrants who have to work really hard e.g. I have relatives who were exiled from Uganda by Edi Amin and came to this country without any money at all and have still managed to integrate themselves and make positive contributions to society and the economy.

ReputationRep:
    People people people,

you're foolish if you think immigrants are ''stealing'' from the country. Sure the high unemployment/low vacancies atm is a bit of a sore spot when you see immigrants working over british born BUT...

most immigrants work and pay taxes all legally. ILLEGAL immigrants can **** off though. the clue is in the title, they are illegal and should be put into a dention centre until deported REGARDLESS of the cost. It's the principle of the matter.

So no, the argument they are stealing or a risk is bull****. legal immigrants are usually fine and within a few generations intergrate into the british way (see sikh 3rd gen or any 3rd gen immigrant)

We are a nation of immigrants really, just gotta go back far enough.

Now, a seperate matter is the groups of extremist in certain areas who are not willing to follow the rules britain has..../shrug.

But enough with the crud about immigrants stealing benefits, the stats DO NOT back this claim up. The legal immigrants from outside the EU do not take from us.

The illeagal ones are a differant ball game though....

for what its worth, im really active in my HATE for the scum who sit on benefits all their lives claiming a bad back or depression or drug prevents them from working. oh boy don't get me started on those!

ReputationRep:
    Someone let me know when David Cameron has been right about ANYTHING pls.

/slight troll though not entirely...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    If people from Leicester says they get on fine with immigrants/non white people, what is everyone else's problem?
    I get the impression that Leicester is a more positive example of integration. I don't think you can say: "well, everyone in Leicester seems to get on fine and it's got a reasonably even mixture of Asians and Brits, so everywhere else with a mixture also must be low on conflict."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barrett1987)
    foo.mp3 is an idiot.
    (Original post by barrett1987)
    foo.mp3 is not an idiot
    I'm far from perfect but I'm fairly certain I'm no idiot in the traditional sense :beard:

ReputationRep:
    I would probably care if I believed community actually meant anything in practicality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paranoid Android 64)
    I would probably care if I believed community actually meant anything in practicality.
    perhaps if you left your bedroom, walked out of your house and tried to make friends, maybe in a multicultural society - you might understand the importance of community to some people.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.