Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is David Cameron right that mass immigration has damaged communities? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Like someone already said, it's one of those awkward moments when he says something reasonable and no one knows how to react. I agree with Cameron on pretty much everything he said in this speech, and I say this as an immigrant (well, an international/EU student).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by storna)
    Source.

Is David Cameron right? Has mass immigration damaged communities?

Personally, I would say it depends. Some places demonstrate parallel communities and segregation; whereas, others are more of a melting pot. I think it depends on whether immigration to an area has been rapid or over a number of generations.
    He is looking for a quick fix, because he is one of the most hated people in Britain atm, so if he 'claims' something that will impress the public without a lot of hassle/money wasted etc. then that would be to his advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Osman1993)
    He is looking for a quick fix, because he is one of the most hated people in Britain atm, so if he 'claims' something that will impress the public without a lot of hassle/money wasted etc. then that would be to his advantage.
    yes i agree, thinking he's going to get votes for saying all that rubbish. he needs to stop all these cuts if he wants votes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandraleicester)
    yes i agree, thinking he's going to get votes for saying all that rubbish. he needs to stop all these cuts if he wants votes.
    Well that's not really an option since we don't have any bloody money.

ReputationRep:
    Also forgot to mention him trying to 'get down' with black people/attacking racism and what not. (the oxford thing)

ReputationRep:
    Are you suggesting something does'nt need done about immigration ?

irresepective, that vast majority of Britons want something done about immigration.

ReputationRep:
    How to solve the immigration problem:

1) deport all them illegal immigrants
    2) deport all them people who sit and contribute nothing and refuse to integrate.
    3) and leave them good immigrants alone
    Sorted. It's that fking simple. Nothing to debate about it just common sense really. Anyone who wants to make something racist about it should get a kick in the face.

And White people, you guys aren't having enough babies hence the reason why more foreign people are born and overtaking your birth rates. It's not some sort of hideous plot to kill all White people. Just Keep making babies already for ffs.
    I hate all this statistic crap which 99% misinterpret....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    have you been to london....where it is easy to be able to live your entire life in the city and not have to speak a word of english if you live in certain parts...

there are parts where not only are white people almost a non-entity, but in which almost everything in that area is in a different language to english and most of the people don't even bother/can't speak it....
    yes i understand what you are saying, but if there is no need, then it is up to them isnt it, they are going to learn less and their children wont get anywhere in life if they dont start learning. but there is ignorant people all over the place, whatever culture they originate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperial Darklord)
    How to solve the immigration problem:

2) deport all them people who sit and contribute nothing and refuse to integrate.
    3) and leave them good immigrants alone
    Sorted. It's that fking simple. Nothing to debate about it just common sense really. Anyone who wants to make something racist about it should get a kick in the face.

And White people, you guys aren't having enough babies hence the reason why more foreign people are born and overtaking your birth rates. It's not some sort of hideous plot to kill all White people. Just Keep making babies already for ffs.
    I hate all this statistic crap which 99% misinterpret....
    Imperial Darklord for Prime Minister!!!!!!!!!111

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    yes but he has a choice of where to make the cuts. But seems to hit those that have no voice!

ReputationRep:
    Also forgot to mention him trying to 'get down' with black people/attacking racism and what not. (the oxford thing)
    yes well i smell a rat with this, it's seems like an attempt to cause unrest amongst the people, to me! mentioning colour, the stupid man. we are all the same. melanin in the skin causes skin colour and thats it, if we lived in a hot continent we would all have dark skin.

ReputationRep:
    Whether "mass immigration", not immigration in general, is a good or bad thing, I've yet to decide. I for one am not going to make an ill-informed decision because loads of people are jumping on the bandwagon.

One thing I have noticed about this issue though is that it has been hijacked and fueled by many xenopobic groups, that talk a good talk and sound quite convincing and hence win the support of people that would have otherwise been apathetic towards the issue. As a result they have gained a platform where they feel comfortable to not only slander immigration and immigrants, but go further and just make statements which are outright offensive and bigoted. I have also noticed some really ignorant/misleading and quite frankly wrong reportings of this issue in essentially quite influential media sources, mainly the tabloids. This again is feeding the hysteria that has started among the general population and blowing immigration way out of porportion.

Again I'm not saying we may or may not have a problem with so called "mass immigration" (increased immigration). I am just concerned that people firstly as mentioned before are using this issue of immigration to stealthily express their hatred for other cultures and/or ethnicities and slowly influencing people into agreeing with their views. By saying there is a problem with immigration and slowly turning that argument into there's a problem with immigrants and eventually persuading people that if you are not a 'native' brit you are not welcome. What also worries me is that people are just using immigration as something to pass all their problems onto. We have just came out of a hard recession, we have a huge debt and deficit to deal with and our quality of life has somewhat taken a hit, possibly creating turbulance in our personal lives. Therefore many people, instead of confronting the issues at hand have decided, conciously or unconciously to pass the blame onto something else. And unfortunatly it seems the foreigners as well as other groups and issues have got a huge chunk of the blame. After all it's an easy target. Again let me reiterate the point that yes possibly immigration has caused this to some extent, but i thinks it's hugely unfair to blame the immigrants which a lot of people seem to be doing.

ReputationRep:
    Well to be fair I rather it be Cameron than Griffin.

ReputationRep:
    The national debt is ~77% of our GDP which means we still have ~23% However that's not the problem what is, is the fact that our deficit is ~220b.

ReputationRep:
    I actually agree with him! I think he may be right.

ReputationRep:
    Britain has no money to spend on it's own people, but somehow it does on others:
    http://m.mirror.co.uk/article?a=m4:22808946

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grund)
    The quote is exactly how I feel. When you live in a country, the bare minimum is that you atleast can speak the language- if you live in England, you should be able to speak English, even if you aren't a linguistic master. Some people live in such a closed community of immigrants that they never have the need to speak English, which imo is ruining our culture. If you can't speak the language, then you shouldn't be in that country. I think this applies to anywhere in the world aswell btw, I'm not being racist.

There was even this story a while ago about an elderly Indian woman who couldn't speak a word of English apart from the bare basics such as "Hello", "Thank you" and "Goodbye", and she'd been living here for many years. I just find that disrespectful; that she hasn't even tried to learn our language, yet she's living off of our country's resources.
    I lived in Thailand for four years and didn't learn Thai. Mainly because its a very hard language to learn (and there were a fair few English speakers there as well).
    Me and my family didn't segregate ourselves from the Thai's though. We all had a lot of Thai friends etc.

If they plan on living here for a long period of time then they should learn the language. However, if it is only for a few years then It just seems rather pointless.

Some people are just really bad at picking up new languages.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Of course it depends on where you look but I imagine for the most part the answer is that it has led to segregation particularly in our major cities. The trouble now is that the far-right will use this for their own means, and to spread even more prejudice, when in reality this is merely acknowledging a problem that can be fixed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperial Darklord)
    Has it not occured to you that due to the fact that they're illegal i.e don't have papers, there's no way in hell the government can know who is illegal and who isn't ..?

ReputationRep:
    Well im from leicester and at the moment we are on the verge of being in the minority, it is 50-50 at the moment. but think we are going to be the first city. but you know what there is no problem here, everyone here speaks english and if they cant them im sure they will learn after being here! fair enough if there is no housing or room in the country he should lower the numbers. But he is not being fair when he says that its ruining communities, im working class btw! making issues like this, causes trouble, he should shut his big fat mouth. We get on fine!
    I agree :five:
    Racial tension is pretty rare in leicester & I've never really met anyone who couldn't speak a word of english. I don't really see how immigrants aren't integrating :dontknow:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.