Turn on thread page Beta

Gorillaz or Blur? watch

ReputationRep:
    Don't really like Gorrilaz. Blur, however, are very good.

Parklife and The Great Escape are fantastic albums, people. Go 'acquire' them.

ReputationRep:
    Blur

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spocckka)
    Heaven forbid it sounds similar to something else. All music sounds similar to something else in the same genre, and Gorillaz cross over so many genres that that argument is irrelevent.
    You're not likely to argue me into liking it tbh... we'll just have to agree to differ on this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    You're not likely to argue me into liking it tbh... we'll just have to agree to differ on this one.
    hmm... ok

ReputationRep:
    you guys only need to look at my name to see what my response is
    and anyway, Gorillaz are so much more than just music, its a movement! A beautiful cacophony of quirky art brought to life by rich animation blended with the beautiful sounds of 2D and the musical genius of Murdoc's mind

went a bit overboard didnt i?

ReputationRep:
    I was at that Gorillaz set, it was alright, too much of the new stuff and not enough of the classics (i like the new stuff, but at a festival you need to play the popular stuff, gigs are for fans who will know all your new songs!) the crowd wasn't going too much and it was a tad boring.

The line up this year is immense, looking forward to it

ReputationRep:
    lol at everyone spelling Gorillaz wrong... I always do that!
    Gorillaz are the best; On melancholy hill, Sound check, Feel good inc, Fire coming out of the monkey's head. They're just too good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)
    I was at that Gorillaz set, it was alright, too much of the new stuff and not enough of the classics (i like the new stuff, but at a festival you need to play the popular stuff, gigs are for fans who will know all your new songs!) the crowd wasn't going too much and it was a tad boring.

The line up this year is immense, looking forward to it
    I was hoping for a complete mix of all three albums, but yeh it did end up a Plastic Beach dominated set, and you're right not many of the songs on that album are Festival material.

But i think what you've got to remember is that their set was never going to be like Blurs or Muse, it was never going to be jumpy and energetic. More of a sit back and be amazed.

ReputationRep:
    Blur. But Song 2 is way too overrated.

ReputationRep:
    Blur for Think Tank, but Gorillaz for the rest - particularly Plastic Beach...

ReputationRep:
    I like Blur, but I've grown up listening to Gorillaz. So I'll stick with the Gorillaz.

ReputationRep:
    Demon Days sold more copies than all of blur's albums put together (actual fact I've checked).

Having seen them both I can confirm however that blur are better in every possible way.

ReputationRep:
    Blur. After listening to both Gorillaz and Graham Coxon's solo stuff, I've come to the conclusion that Coxon was actually the driving creative force behind Blur. Happiness In Magazines is very Blur-like.

I still really like Gorillaz, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyRowena)
    Blur. After listening to both Gorillaz and Graham Coxon's solo stuff, I've come to the conclusion that Coxon was actually the driving creative force behind Blur. Happiness In Magazines is very Blur-like.

I still really like Gorillaz, though.
    Its the reason why Blur split up, pre think tank Coxon and Albarn had almost all the creative control, then in think tank, fat boy slim was brought in as an additional producer. He pretty much cut out the guitar, I think one track of particular contention was Crazy Beat. This made Coxon mad, and he quit, then Albarn finished the album without him and Blur split up.

Damon Albarn is a musical genius the man is a flooping god, but I think sometimes he has a lot of rubbish running round in his brain and you need to see a bit of that before you get the gold, Graham Coxon kept blur into their guitar roots, insured they stayed at least in part Britpop Blur, while Albarn came up with crazy ideas around it, this is why I think 13 is the best blur album, its the perfect mix.

For me britpop can be summarised as:
    Radiohead : Can write some of the best music on the planet, but giving Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood the chance to let their creativity go a bit mad resulting in some bonkers output.
    Blur : Can write some of the best music on the planet, and having Graham Coxon means they never go too crazy (except on think tank where they did, and it was rubbish)
    Oasis : Could have gone the way of Blur, but lacked any driving creative force (i.e. didn't have a Yorke or an Albarn) and just repeated the same thing and got boring.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer Gorillaz, but love listening to a bit of Blur too.
    Has anyone heard Gorillaz' contribution to Snoop Dogg's new album? They use the same synth sounds as Doncamatic

ReputationRep:
    Blur!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ollymo)
    The good the bad and the queen
    LOL! I never thought of that one, I love that album, hopefully they will make another one sometime.

ReputationRep:
    Since I only know 2 songs by each band, I prefer Gorillaz, because Blur is way to overrated (in my opinion). But both are quite interesting bands, for the simple reason that they have no "mainstream-styles" and do their own thing.

ReputationRep:
    Blur

ReputationRep:
    Gorillaz. The only Blur albums I like are Think Tank and 13. Plus Rowntree is clearly a ****.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 20, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.