Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people have online "relationships?" Watch

ReputationRep:
    I mean the kind where they have never met the person, and probably never will. My friend is now apparently in a "relationship" with someone who lives in new zealand.......he counts himself as "taken" and says hes "going out with her" and they have dates on skype.

Why do people do this?

ReputationRep:
    They like each other.

ReputationRep:
    They can't get any in real life so they resort to online "relationships". I get it if you meet online and plan to actually meet in reality at some point, but being classed as "in a relationship" when you've not met is a bit silly IMO.

People are very different online to real life also.

ReputationRep:
    they have really good cyber sex?

ReputationRep:
    HD laptops

ReputationRep:
    Because they are unattractive, socially awkward, insecure, lack confidence, and so on.

ReputationRep:
    meh, if theyre happy leave them...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I really dont know to be honest. My sister is dating a guy in my homecountry, they met online and knwo what each other looks like. Hmmm, my sister is not the most outgoing person in the world. She doesn't like going out and spends most of her time in front of the lappy screen.I don't really know how it can work out to be honest. But if that's what they want then its good. It is probably better than spending those time taking drugs. It's not going to be a long relationship, I would rather class it as internet close friend, than boyfriend/girlfriend.

(Original post by iCrackMyselfUp)
    Because they are unattractive and socially awkward, and the internet is their only way these people can meet each other, as they're are compatible.
    Yeah, but the point is not all of them are unattractive. My sister has lots of friends at school btu she just have way too much privacy and prefer to keep herself to herself. She likes being in her room and want people to leave her alone. I agree that these people usually don't have very good social skills, though. It's a shame since there are many men at school fancying her.

ReputationRep:
    If you think that is weird, you should check out the sex doll forums.

That **** gave me the heebiest of jeebies

ReputationRep:
    Watch Catfish... it's such a relevant film to this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you ask your friend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becilouise)
    Yes. The relationship is between the two people and nobody else. It can be what they want it to be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ich Dien)
    Yes. The relationship is between the two people and nobody else. It can be what they want it to be?
    Exactly!

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot more people would have them if they werent generally looked upon with distaste.

After all, they only have to see you when you look good, when typing you can think before you speak, they never see you at your worst, and you don't have all the problems intimacy and mutual friends can pose...

Online relationships are like fake boobs... theyre brilliant, but real ones are better even though theyre much harder to get.

ReputationRep:
    Forever alone.

ReputationRep:
    It's called desperation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becilouise)
    Ding. This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dreaming*)
    I mean the kind where they have never met the person, and probably never will. My friend is now apparently in a "relationship" with someone who lives in new zealand.......he counts himself as "taken" and says hes "going out with her" and they have dates on skype.

Why do people do this?
    Why not? It's a way of meeting people like any other. I agree it's pretty pointless if they'll never meet and confine it to the internet, but if you find someone on there that you hope to meet and be together I don't really see what the issue is.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's retarded. You can't have a REAL relationship online anyway, and it's probably a good sign that you should leave your bedroom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackB123)
    HD laptops
    3D :holmes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.