Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people have online "relationships?" watch

I had an online relationship when i was 15, but then i realised how retarded it was as he lived in the middle east and I lived in london. Even though i go to that country all the time, i thought naaah, Anyway, after we 'broke up', well stop talking, i went to the country and tried to meet up with, to just stay as friends, but that didn't happen. Now he's friends with one of my bestfriends there and they meet for coffee lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becilouise)
    meh, if theyre happy leave them...
    (Original post by Ich Dien)
    Yes. The relationship is between the two people and nobody else. It can be what they want it to be?
    Congratulations on posting ambiguous liberal **** that could be applied to paedophilia.
    They are dating someone they have never met and will never meet. They are doing it because they are desperate and lonely, and most likely because they are socially inept. Stop beating around the bush kids and wake up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Congratulations on posting ambiguous liberal **** that could be applied to paedophilia.
    They are dating someone they have never met and will never meet. They are doing it because they are desperate and lonely, and most likely because they are socially inept. Stop beating around the bush kids and wake up.
    Yeah? Your point is? They might be desperate & lonely, who knows? But if doing what they do makes them happy, who are you to complain!? Maybe they just started chatting and realised they like each other... There's nothing wrong with them 'going out' even if they haven't met each other. Yeah, it's weird, but they're happy so stop hating and get over it.

ReputationRep:
    Because they enjoy each other's personalities.

ReputationRep:
    meeting via the internet is fine, but keeping the relationship strictly online is just ridiculous lol you're gonna need to meet them for it to develop properly

ReputationRep:
    Yeah? Your point is? They might be desperate & lonely, who knows? But if doing what they do makes them happy, who are you to complain!? Maybe they just started chatting and realised they like each other... There's nothing wrong with them 'going out' even if they haven't met each other. Yeah, it's weird, but they're happy so stop hating and get over it.
    Nice bull**** rant there deary.
    I'm not complaining about it though, am I? I'm not hating over it, I'm pointing out how absurd it is and how the only people that do it are deluded, meaning it is ridiculous.
    Plus here is something to think about: what would make them happier - having a nonsensical relationship or growing up and dealing with their social ineptitude allowing them to have real relationships later on?

ReputationRep:
    i think long distance relationships are a load of bull... if your in a relationship over the internet, how are you supposed to truly get to know someone? i mean when im with my bf i wanna be able to hold his hand.. kiss him etc.. i cant show my love and affection over skype :confused: so i think its pointless really... its like on fb how people have endless amounts of strangers as their 'friends' when they dont know em at all internet relationships are a load of rubbish...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Nice bull**** rant there deary.
    I'm not complaining about it though, am I? I'm not hating over it, I'm pointing out how absurd it is and how the only people that do it are deluded, meaning it is ridiculous.
    Plus here is something to think about: what would make them happier - having a nonsensical relationship or growing up and dealing with their social ineptitude allowing them to have real relationships later on?
    My rant? Ha, look at yours. Jeez. Do you think they care what you think? Obviously not. You can't help who you fall for, leave them to it... If they would be happier 'growing up' don't you think they would've done it by now? They're happy, and you seem to be miserable... find yourself an internet woman. Might make you more sensitive

ReputationRep:
    Because they can't get a real boy or girl...

Just a 50 year old paedophile.

ReputationRep:
    My rant? Ha, look at yours. Jeez. Do you think they care what you think? Obviously not. You can't help who you fall for, leave them to it... If they would be happier 'growing up' don't you think they would've done it by now? They're happy, and you seem to be miserable... find yourself an internet woman. Might make you more sensitive
    Their caring has nothing to do with the truth of what I said though, does it?
    Which is easier - growing up, which takes time and confidence, or pretending everything is okay?
    They are only deluding themselves of reality. I can't see how talking to a chick I'm never going to meet is going to change any of what I say...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Respect? You haven't earned it. All you've done is make strawmen and post immature replies. The only child here is you.
    I presume the reason is you are in an online relationship and would rather pretend everything is fine instead of dealing with reality, which is exactly what I said. So thanks for proving my point?
    I agree with you Mazty. Sure these people are free to enjoy these things but its not a proper adult relationship and it is pretty sad that they don't ever meet up.

Fine meet people on the internet. But never to meet them in person? That's just a glorified pen friend isn't it. How does that teach you about intimacy, bonding and working as a unit? Jack ****, thats it.

ReputationRep:
    freaks...thats what I think.

I started chatting to this guy on TSR a while ago. We were getting to know each other as well as being very flirty. We both fancied each other as well. Oh how perfect it would have been if we lived anywhere near each other (I like in UK he lives in Spain ). If we didn't have that distance barrier then we would have met up and decided on a relationship. But I'd never say we were actually in a relationship without meeting up first. Yes, I make internet buddies, but internet lovers is a bit sad. Anyway, I doubt anything will happen now because he's been permabanned for some reason and I have no other means of contacting him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gorillaz ftw! =D)
    i think long distance relationships are a load of bull... if your in a relationship over the internet, how are you supposed to truly get to know someone? i mean when im with my bf i wanna be able to hold his hand.. kiss him etc.. i cant show my love and affection over skype :confused: so i think its pointless really... its like on fb how people have endless amounts of strangers as their 'friends' when they dont know em at all internet relationships are a load of rubbish...
    Does holding hands and kissing someone entail getting to know them? Yeah...bet you love getting to "know" people...wink wink.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    3D :holmes:
    Holy [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who always has online things, in fact his gone up to Norfolk this weekend to see her even though his only known her for a week and shes only 16 and his 21, yes its very very weird I know.

I know that he does it because people around here know who he is and what he is like and so he cant get a lass here but online he can just pretend to be someone he isnt and he keeps it up when he meets them. He is very much a sexual predator.........

ReputationRep:
    I love people bending over backwards not to judge people...

...come on though guys, you've got to admit, its a bit weird though right?

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who has an 'online girlfriend', and I would disagree completely that he is unattractive / socially awkward / desperate - in fact, totally the contrary. As for his girlfriend, she lives on the other side of the world. I don't know her personally, but she struck me as quite pretty and didn't look like she was either of these negative qualities either.

They are planning to see each other in Summer (he is saving up to travel to the other side of the world to spend the Summer with her), so there you go, online relationships are not the fruit of desesperation. In fact, I would daresay many aren't at all - for if they fall in love it is for their personality and not because they are desperately searching for someone. That said, he isn't the only person I know with very LDR relationships that have started over Internet, and in none of the cases have the people been desperate.

Of course, there are also people who are put off by the idea of not being able to see the person everyday or don't want to get into LDR relationships - they can be quite exhausting and you do need a certain mindset to be able to live through them so they aren't for everyone, and presumably not to most of the people in this thread who are just deeming them as "desperate, ugly and socially awkward people". You'd be surprised.

ReputationRep:
    I had an online "relationship" when i was 15, but my parents found out and forbade me from ever meeting him so that fizzeled out. I was depressed and lonely and found it easier to talk to someone on the net that seek help from the real world.

Still i learnt my lesson as i went to meet a guy i'd talked to on the net and he sexually assaulted me That kind of put me off getting to know people on the net.

I'm still coming to terms with what happened and this happened nearly 10 years ago.

Be careful people.

ReputationRep:
    You can't fall for someone over the internet.

/thread.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.