Turn on thread page Beta

I know this belongs in careers and employment thread, but I wanted to remain anon. Iknow how all you TSRers can be with your anti-benefit rants and quite frankly, I've already had it up to my eyes, and I don't need any more of it.

I lost my last job due to ill health, after a year of hospitalness etc i'm trying to get back on my feet again.

After getting a million interviews, i've been asked to do a job trial where the job will be 17.5 hours per week. I reeeally want it!

The problem is, due to my long term health condition / disability I can't work full time so the 17 hours is good for that, but I know that if I take this job I will be a lot less well off each month as I won't be within the threshold for benefits.
    I will actually lose over £150pm plus rent due to housing benefit too.

I'm struggling to see what I can do, take the job and have a sense of fulfillment but struggle to pay my rent, with the prospect of possibly getting more hours when I can,
    Or to decline the job altogether and stay on benefits while volunteering as well?

I've got 2 weeks til my job trial to decide and I just can't.

ReputationRep:
    Can you explain your situation to whoever has hired you and request you be put on a 16 hour a week (or however many hours makes you just in the threshold) instead?

To be honest you have to sit and work it out before taking it. I don't know a lot about benefits but if your going to be a lot worse off then surely it would be better to wait for a job that has less hours? Unless could you claim working tax credits?

(I'm going to make a lot of assumptions here), 17.5 hours a week at minimum wage, is going to no where near touch the money you need for bills, a one bed flat, council tax, etc. So surely there would be some extra help you may be able to get if you can't get your sickness benefit?

ReputationRep:
    Ouch, that's such a tough call.

Could you survive financially on the wage you would earn? Because if the answer is no, then surely that's your decision made?

If you could but would be struggling to make ends meet, then you'll have to make the call as to whether the job or the money is more important to you... Personally I think I'd rather have a job, but I couldn't fault someone who decided otherwise, the stress of financial worries and the effect that could have on your health might not be worth it, over a part-time job...

Good luck either way!

I've been told that they can't reconsider the hours, so it'e 17 or nothing.
    I'm applying for DLA at the time being, but it'll take 14 weeks or so til i know if i;ve been accepted or declined, to be honest I doubt v much that i'll get it coz i'm not physically impaired as in eyesight /hearing etc. I have balance problems, and can't walk some days but I don't know if it'll be enough to qualify.
    I've been to the council today to speak to them about it, they flatly said to 'not take the job'.
    I'm so upset, this job would be perfect for me too, but realistically, how am i supposed to live? You're right snufkin, I won't be able to afford bills and rent on that wage.
    If i was over 25 or had a kid, i'd qualify for tax credits :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Why would that affect your benefit? I am no expert in it at all but I thought 16 hrs is the mark for JSA, and I am almost certain with Housing Benefit, the number of hours you work has nothing to do anything, it's the income that count. And to be honest, if you are still ill, can't you try to get DLA, which might be of some help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been told that they can't reconsider the hours, so it'e 17 or nothing.
    I'm applying for DLA at the time being, but it'll take 14 weeks or so til i know if i;ve been accepted or declined, to be honest I doubt v much that i'll get it coz i'm not physically impaired as in eyesight /hearing etc. I have balance problems, and can't walk some days but I don't know if it'll be enough to qualify.
    I've been to the council today to speak to them about it, they flatly said to 'not take the job'.
    I'm so upset, this job would be perfect for me too, but realistically, how am i supposed to live? You're right snufkin, I won't be able to afford bills and rent on that wage.
    If i was over 25 or had a kid, i'd qualify for tax credits :rolleyes:
    DLA is not about your condition, it's about your care needs. By the sound of it, you should get something from it at least. Would you need help walking outside? Are you at risk of falling because of your balance problem? Would you need someone to keep an eye on you or you might injury yourself? If yes to these questions then I am pretty sure you would get some money from it. And it doesn't take 14 weeks to get the DLA assessed, that's what they said, but not really and even if it did, you would get a lump sum from them starting from the date they receive your form.

I am not very keen on discussing this publically, but if you wanna PM me or something, maybe I can tell you more in details if you like.

ReputationRep:
    You may be entitled to the disability component of Working Tax credits.

You should definitely apply for DLA. Get help from the CAB and/or an organisation that supports your specific condition to make sure you put in a strong application. Also discuss your application with your GP as they will contact your GP. People tend to discuss symptoms rather than support needs with their GP so you need to make sure your GP is fully aware of all your difficulties so they can support your application.

Yeah, i'm going to go to my GP and discuss options, I saw my cardiologist today and he said I should be ok to work but they are gona start me on stronger tablets and there's talk of a pacemaker being fitted to make me more stable.
    I don't want to throw this opportunity away, I really want this job!
    I'm going to the CAB as well to discuss DLA options, coz apparantly they work on care needs not a diagnosis as such.
    Thanks for your help guys, hopefully i'll be able to start this job at the end of the month

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.