Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thread has been answered & thanks for your help.

Forum staff ---> Could you please close & delete this thread as I feel it doesn't help me nor anyone else using the search box.

ReputationRep:
    I find it's PhD more often than not, because.. well.. it stands for a Doctor of Philosophy, so the two words have a capital ;D

ReputationRep:
    If the parenthesis is in the sentence inside the brackets, add the fullstop outside of the brackets.
    If the parenthesis are a separate sentence inside a paragraph then the fullstop goes inside the brackets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangoh)
    confused
    (if you have a full sentence inside a pair of brackets, you put the full stop inside the brackets too.)

if the bit inside the brackets is not a full sentence, but the preceding bit is a full sentence, but the full stop after the brackets. e.g. Today was awful (it tipped it down with rain).

ReputationRep:
    so the example in my first post (#1), is with the fullstop outside the bracket?
    The sentence doesn't make a lot of sense (I wouldn't really call tennis a team sport), but yes the full stop would be at the end, outside of the bracket.

ReputationRep:
    -rep, it clearly does make sense :rolleyes:
    Oy you've changed it! And yes it does make much more sense now

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your help

can you answer my other question (see first post)
    PhD, I'm pretty sure

ReputationRep:
    PhD

ReputationRep:
    trust wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Philosophy

ReputationRep:
    why 2 caps?

To anyone: Can you correct any grammar/spelling mistakes here?

Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't think it is fair that we *people doing BTECs* should be quiet and let others undervalue BTECs. If they can speak out, so can we. If moderators close this thread, ask yourself, why is it fair that someone could discriminate against someone else for enhancing their knowledge on their interests? Many BTECs are optional so we should not discriminate but instead we should RESPECT someone trying to plan a better future for themselves through a BTEC. It shouldn't be classed as 'worse' nor 'better' but instead EQUAL to a levels and certain other qualifications. How is it right for someone to criticise another person's career path? What effect does this have on them? It doesn't, it shouldn't!

ask yourself - why is it fair...? (rather than a comma)
    A levels would be better (with a capital)
    words written in capital letters aren't great in formal writing as a rule.
    hope this helps!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.