Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Almost one in eight in UK are foreign born Watch

ReputationRep:
    Almost one in eight people living in the UK are now foreign born after hitting record levels in the wake of the largest wave of immigration in history.

The proportion of the population born overseas almost doubled in two decades to more than 11 per cent, according to data seen by The Daily Telegraph.

The rise was largely down to Labour's "open door" immigration policy, under which three million foreigners were added to the population during the party's 13 years in power.

The figures, which were compiled by the Office for National Statistics, were disclosed amid a renewed debate on immigration.

One in four babies was now born to a foreign mother, another record. In 1998, less than 14 per cent of babies were to a mother who had been born overseas.

Nicholas Soames, the Tory co-chairman of the Cross-Party Group on Balanced Migration, said Labour's "spineless and futile" attempts to control immigration had left a "grave situation".

In 2009, Andrew Neather, a former adviser to Tony Blair, claimed that the sharp increase in migrants over the previous 10 years was partly due to a politically motivated attempt to boost multi-culturalism.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...eign-born.html

So is immigration a huge problem that needs tackling or is this just hype over an issue which isn't really that much of a problem?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well home born's are naturally in decline. And by the third more likely the second immergrant birth rates will fall inline to.

ReputationRep:
    So 1 in 8 people in Britain fell out of their mother's crotch in a different geographical location...who the **** cares?

ReputationRep:
    IMO I think it has more to do with the declining in home births.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    So 1 in 8 people in Britain fell out of their mother's crotch in a different geographical location...who the **** cares?
    Obviously you don't. Hence why I asked the question whether or not it was a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Almost one in eight people living in the UK are now foreign born after hitting record levels in the wake of the largest wave of immigration in history.

The proportion of the population born overseas almost doubled in two decades to more than 11 per cent, according to data seen by The Daily Telegraph.

The rise was largely down to Labour's "open door" immigration policy, under which three million foreigners were added to the population during the party's 13 years in power.

The figures, which were compiled by the Office for National Statistics, were disclosed amid a renewed debate on immigration.

One in four babies was now born to a foreign mother, another record. In 1998, less than 14 per cent of babies were to a mother who had been born overseas.

Nicholas Soames, the Tory co-chairman of the Cross-Party Group on Balanced Migration, said Labour's "spineless and futile" attempts to control immigration had left a "grave situation".

In 2009, Andrew Neather, a former adviser to Tony Blair, claimed that the sharp increase in migrants over the previous 10 years was partly due to a politically motivated attempt to boost multi-culturalism.

So is immigration a huge problem that needs tackling or is this just hype over an issue which isn't really that much of a problem?

I do not like labour.

Close the floodgates.

Etc etc

ReputationRep:
    white people, why u no procreate more?

ReputationRep:

britains future is balkanisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samrout)
    white people, why u no procreate more?

ReputationRep:
    immigration is not inevitable.

japan proves that. japan has an even lower birth rate than europe. but, being japanese, it means they are more intelligent than europeans and have a better racial and cultural survival instinct.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously you don't. Hence why I asked the question whether or not it was a problem.
    It doesn't matter to anybody else who's not a closet racist either.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, so what? My family is originally from Iraq, my grandparents were educated at the likes of LSE and Ivy League schools in the US so most of the family from my parents' generation eventually came to live in the UK or Europe.

They all went on to hold relatively high-powered jobs, including one who is now a don at Oxford, and another - Zaha Hadid - who is one of the most famous architects in the world and designed the London 2012 Aquatic Centre.

My point is, had they not been able to come to such a great country they would not have been able to achieve any of this. Of course immigration needs to be controlled effectively, but many immigrants DO contribute to the economy - or their children will, or their grandchildren.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    To be honest, so what? My family is originally from Iraq, my grandparents were educated at the likes of LSE and Ivy League schools in the US so most of the family from my parents' generation eventually came to live in the UK or Europe.

They all went on to hold relatively high-powered jobs, including one who is now a don at Oxford, and another - Zaha Hadid - who is one of the most famous architects in the world and designed the London 2012 Aquatic Centre.

My point is, had they not been able to come to such a great country they would not have been able to achieve any of this. Of course immigration needs to be controlled effectively, but many immigrants DO contribute to the economy - or their children will, or their grandchildren.

Can I just make something clear, I haven't made any of my opinions clear on this thread at all. I agree with you that many immigrations contribute to the economy and provide necessary skills so please don't make assumptions.

ReputationRep:
    I was born in Australia. :dontknow:

British though.

ReputationRep:

do you think its acceptable for britain to see its ethnic european indigenous peoples ethnically dispossessed?

fair enough, you are an immigrant. but where is the respect and humility for britain and europeans peoples? they welcome so many immigrants, and all immigrants want to do is replace them.

its NOT ok for white people to become an ethnic minority in europe.

btw, i have an immigrant background too. southern european.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I don't see it as a problem?

I'm 1 in 8.

ReputationRep:

This is more to do with British men prefering better looking ladies...because lets admit it...Britain hasnt got many pretty ladies.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just make something clear, I haven't made any of my opinions clear on this thread at all. I agree with you that many immigrations contribute to the economy and provide necessary skills so please don't make assumptions.
    :confused: What assumptions have I made? I wasn't even replying to anything YOU said, just commenting on the article and Soames' comments. Don't be so sensitive in future when discussing such a contentious issue, nothing I said was targeted against you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    I was born in Australia. :dontknow:

British though.
    Hello Ocassus :cool:

ReputationRep:
    :confused: What assumptions have I made? I wasn't even replying to anything YOU said, just commenting on the article and Soames' comments. Don't be so sensitive in future when discussing such a contentious issue, nothing I said was targeted against you!
    Evidently I am guilty of making assumption, but to me the tone of your comments sounded like it was directed at me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.