Turn on thread page Beta

Almost one in eight in UK are foreign born watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swimmer)
    This is more to do with British men prefering better looking ladies...because lets admit it...Britain hasnt got many pretty ladies.
    Oh, I don't know. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Well obviously you are. Immigration, like education, like law and order, like health is an extremely important area of public policy. If your immigration system is too strict you prevent valuable and sometimes absolutely necessary skilled foreigners migrating to your country and if your system is too loose you risk an over crowded country that has huge pressures on its public services and infrastructure as a result of uncontrolled immigration.

To discuss immigration does not make one a racist and quite frankly sir, you are a thick as ****.
    You can use ad homenum tactics and litter TSR with profanities all you like. Intellect is self evident in one's ability to form well reasoned, logically valid arguments. On this basis you ostensibly have an IQ below room temperature. The ratio of foreign born people living in Britain is not what's important when considering the size of the population. What is important is the rate people (British born or not) coming in and going out and current birthrate/death rate. If you're genuinely interested purely in the economic and social wellbeing of this country your focus should be solely on numbers, not the origins of people already here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH-Biker)
    Meh, I don't see it as a problem?

I'm 1 in 8.
    It alone is not necessarily a problem, but it's potentially a problem if the one in eight is someone who doesn't hold, or doesn't intend to hold, anything close to British values. An Islamist, for example.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how can be considered an issue to the point where people spare more then a thought to the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    You can use ad homenum tactics and litter TSR with profanities all you like.
    You started it by suggesting that I am a closet racist because I am concerned about immigration. Equally I am concerned about defence, education, health, taxation and every other bloody government department.

You just used the most vile ad hominem you could which was to write off everyone concerned about immigration as a racist.

Intellect is self evident in one's ability to form well reasoned, logically valid arguments.
    Which you haven't shown, you just wrote it off as racism

On this basis you obviously have an IQ below room temperature.
    Even after I gave you a coherent reason... Go troll someone else.

The ratio of foreign born people living in Britain is not what's important when considering the size of the population. What is important is the rate people (British born or not) coming in and going out and current birthrate/death rate. If you're genuinely interested purely in the economic and social wellbeing of this country your focus should be solely on numbers, not the origins of people already here
    Try reading more than just the thread title you dult.
    Go troll someone else.

ReputationRep:
    You just used the most vile ad hominem you could which was to write off everyone concerned about immigration as a racist.
    I didn't. I wrote off everybody concerned with the origins of people already here as racists. If you can't differentiate between the two you are a moron.

Try reading more than just the thread title you dult.
    Go troll someone else.
    Pot, kettle, black (excuse the pun)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titleist)
    It alone is not necessarily a problem, but it's potentially a problem if the one in eight is someone who doesn't hold, or doesn't intend to hold, anything close to British values. An Islamist, for example.
    Yeah a lot of those people are going to be EU citizens we can't do anything about due to treaty obligations, Poles etc. might be distorting the labour market but they're probably not going to explode on public transport.

Then a some are going to be people who are pretty well disposed to western civilisation in the main - ausies, kiwis, yanks etc.

We're growing our own islamists now anyway

ReputationRep:
    so, %89 (down from %92! OH NOES!) of the people here were born here? whats the argument again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    To be honest, so what? My family is originally from Iraq, my grandparents were educated at the likes of LSE and Ivy League schools in the US so most of the family from my parents' generation eventually came to live in the UK or Europe.

They all went on to hold relatively high-powered jobs, including one who is now a don at Oxford, and another - Zaha Hadid - who is one of the most famous architects in the world and designed the London 2012 Aquatic Centre.

My point is, had they not been able to come to such a great country they would not have been able to achieve any of this. Of course immigration needs to be controlled effectively, but many immigrants DO contribute to the economy - or their children will, or their grandchildren.
    I completely agree with you there. People are far too quick to say oh they stole my job blah blah blah but they don't realise how valuable immigration can be to any country

ReputationRep:
    Oh LA DEE DA. Tell me something which isn't a lousy statistic 99% misinterpret and get all too fussed about it....

ReputationRep:
    I think considering the fact that white people have over run the indigenous races of north america and australia there's no need to fear white people being overrun!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goose1990)
    I think considering the fact that white people have over run the indigenous races of north america and australia there's no need to fear white people being overrun!!

and how many native americans and aboriginals are moving to britain exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Almost one in eight people living in the UK are now foreign born after hitting record levels in the wake of the largest wave of immigration in history.

The proportion of the population born overseas almost doubled in two decades to more than 11 per cent, according to data seen by The Daily Telegraph.

The rise was largely down to Labour's "open door" immigration policy, under which three million foreigners were added to the population during the party's 13 years in power.

The figures, which were compiled by the Office for National Statistics, were disclosed amid a renewed debate on immigration.

One in four babies was now born to a foreign mother, another record. In 1998, less than 14 per cent of babies were to a mother who had been born overseas.

Nicholas Soames, the Tory co-chairman of the Cross-Party Group on Balanced Migration, said Labour's "spineless and futile" attempts to control immigration had left a "grave situation".

In 2009, Andrew Neather, a former adviser to Tony Blair, claimed that the sharp increase in migrants over the previous 10 years was partly due to a politically motivated attempt to boost multi-culturalism.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...eign-born.html

So is immigration a huge problem that needs tackling or is this just hype over an issue which isn't really that much of a problem?
    What difference does it make? :dry: Everyone's foreign anyway. Even the Queen isn't fully British so wth?

ReputationRep:
    About 4/5 of the regular starting 11 on the England cricket team are foreign born, including the captain. Its New Labours fault!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aminaubah)
    What difference does it make? :dry: Everyone's foreign anyway. Even the Queen isn't fully British so wth?

the queen is ethnic european. britain is part of the homelands of the european peoples.

your argument is like saying white people have a mandate to colonise africa because of nigerian immigration to kenya.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titleist)
    I've had it with you and your racist and hate filled posts towards Muslims, on this forum! Why don't you grow the hell up and stop generalising because the same could be said about certain jews too. There are many Muslims who have contributed to the general community generously and have integrated very well, even though the media creates such a negative image of us due to the handful of extremists (who I agree, should be deported and imprisoned). So don't go about spreading you filth and hate filled beliefs.

Only last week, I saw a jewish person going mental at his wife and kids in a car and abusing them. In conclusion, your people are not perfect either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    About 4/5 of the regular starting 11 on the England cricket team are foreign born, including the captain. Its New Labours fault!
    lol'd.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.