Turn on thread page Beta

british man beaten to death by dubai police: why do brits even visit dubai? watch

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't he arrested because he tried to sexually assault a female staff working at the hotel where he was staying? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    What things? Care to expand?
    The way they treat the underclass (the servants/slaves, construction workers etc..) There are a lot of unreported deaths/suicides, from the workers who have their passports confiscated and work for next to nothing in poor conditions when most of them want to go home to their home country.

One of my friends works out there and he has about 4 servants to do everything for him, when i questioned him about it, he made it sound like he was doing them the favour (paying for them to eat), that because he is British, he is upper class and gets more respect out there. I've met dozens of Brits who work out there and this attitude is the same amongst all of them, it's the culture. I should mention that these people aren't rich or educated or qualified in any particular way yet have servants, it really brings the worst out in people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Victor-PP)
    I don't get it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_o...les_de_Menezes

ReputationRep:
    Workers seeking out the lowest tax rates in the world should head to Dubai, Russia or Hong Kong, according to a league table of the world’s most attractive personal tax hot spots.

Residents in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) receive the highest net income at 95 per cent of their gross salary, while expatriates in Russia and Hong Kong pay 13 per cent and 14.2 per cent in tax respectively, according to Mercer, the business consultancy behind the survey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by latslikeabat)
    Wasn't he arrested because he tried to sexually assault a female staff working at the hotel where he was staying? :confused:
    He was under the influence and verbally abused a female staff then pulled her hair and then tried to push her off the 6th floor balcony before being restrained by the other staff members. I think it is being regarded as a 'sexual' assault because he made unwanted physical contact with the woman which is classified as sexual assault in the UAE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B-Man.)
    :facepalm: Hopefully they pin it on you.
    Oh no did I say something politically incorrect. You wont like what you see when you research which year Saudi Arabia outlawed slavery either then.

Naughty me, spoiling the view of history you got from watching children's television.

I bet you do wish someone would make reality go away so you can go back to being an idiot.

You poor little fool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humanrights)
    whats the point of visiting dubai? its what is called a compound holiday-- the tourist literally holidays in a compound surrounded by no go zones. south africa is another compound destination much loved by naive brits.

why do brits go on these kind of holidays?

metro.co.uk/news/860855-british-tourist-beaten-to-death-in-dubai-police-custody

Dubai was voted by Interpol as safest city 2 years running, this tragic death this is a rare example of what happens and everyone is here by choice. People can make money quickly (including the construction workers) and better themselves or send money to family overseas. Have you ever seen the poverty in India or Phillipines? Life over here is a better standard for everyone. Outside of the UK many families have maids or servants, it's fairly standard and they are part of the family and treated as such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humanrights)
    a british man has been beaten to death by one of the worlds most brutal, barbaric and repressive police forces and you play the white card!!!!!!!!

what planet are you people on.
    Cause the odd occasional incident like this does not happen in New York, London, Hong Kong etc. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    South Africa isn't that bad if you go to the right places. I used to live in Cape Town in the late 80's early 90's when Aparteid was winding down and where I lived was a suburban area. It was peacefull, I rarely heard of or saw incidents of violence, even though they probably went on in other parts of Cape Town.

Why do people go to the rough and dangerous area's of certain countires? I suppose to see the real side of that country instead of just the touristy side.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.