Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone tried melatonin for insomnia? watch

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been prescribed melatonin to help them sleep, and if so did it work for you?

I am particularly interested to hear from people with a history of mental illness, I want to try it to see if it helps me sleep however my psychiatrist is worried that whilst it may indeed help me sleep there is a risk it could worsen my depression and psychosis as has occurred previously in some people who've taken this medication.

So yeah, have you tried melatonin? Did you take it short term or long term? How bad was your insomnia? Did it work and help you get some sleep? And most importantly did you have any negative side effects?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I've tried it, but it didn't work for me.

ReputationRep:
    I have a history of bad anxiety and recently depression, I started melatonin a year a go on 5mg dosage, and progressively I feel like I need more for the same amount of sleep, I'm now up to 20mg and feel worried constantly about dependancy on it, I haven't really had any side effects to be honest, just that I think I'm becoming resistant to it? As I need more each time.

The only other way to get similar levels of sleep are from drinking.. and that's obviously not a good idea.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Yeah wasn't prescribed though - I bought some OTC in the USA.

IMO it's about as good effective as Nytol but I didn't get the nytol side effects of dry mouth and still feeling tired after sleeping.

short term - 3 or 4 nights til I'd established a proper pattern again, didn't seem to have any effect on depression.

ReputationRep:
    My Mother is quite mad and swears she get a good sleep with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Yeah wasn't prescribed though - I bought some OTC in the USA.

IMO it's about as good effective as Nytol but I didn't get the nytol side effects of dry mouth and still feeling tired after sleeping.

short term - 3 or 4 nights til I'd established a proper pattern again, didn't seem to have any effect on depression.
    Hmm I have tried Diphenhydramine (the active ingredient in Nytol) before and it did nothing to help me sleep. So hear that it's as effective as that makes me slightly concerned it's not going to do much. Guess I wont know until I try it but thanks for your reply

ReputationRep:
    I'm on 2mg so I can regulate my sleep a bit better, works great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazelsaurus)
    I have a history of bad anxiety and recently depression, I started melatonin a year a go on 5mg dosage, and progressively I feel like I need more for the same amount of sleep, I'm now up to 20mg and feel worried constantly about dependancy on it, I haven't really had any side effects to be honest, just that I think I'm becoming resistant to it? As I need more each time.

The only other way to get similar levels of sleep are from drinking.. and that's obviously not a good idea.

Hope this helps
    Thanks for your reply. I worry about this that it requires more for you to get the same amount of sleep. I've previously been on zopiclone and promethazine to help me sleep, and in both cases I was eventually exceeding the maximum dosages just to get a few hours of sleep. Not good at all.

And no drinking is not a good idea. When I consume alcohol it makes my psychosis worse thus I've had to give it up completely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Hmm I have tried Diphenhydramine (the active ingredient in Nytol) before and it did nothing to help me sleep. So hear that it's as effective as that makes me slightly concerned it's not going to do much. Guess I wont know until I try it but thanks for your reply
    Oh it's a different effect but I found it about as useful.

you know those adverts for heat pads that say they're as effective as 6 ibuprofen... even though a heat pad is obv very different to ibuprofen

that the sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    Someone close to me is on it. It definitely worked for him, he sleeps much more soundly and quickly than before.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.