Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Would work experience as a teaching assistant be beneficial in applying for a PGCE?

I want to go into teaching after my degree, and with teaching getting more and more competitive, I thought it may give me an edge to have classroom experience.

Yay or nay?

And if yay, how to get it?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, definitely. Experience is an absolute plus.

Getting into it depends on what age group you want to teach. Either way it would be best to volunteer first, and hope they offer you a paid position. There is also, if you're hoping to do primary, some good recruitment websites for TAs. Secondary is harder because they tend to recruit school-by-school so you would need to volunteer first.

But yeah, very very few people get on a PGCE without having substantial experience so the sooner you can start getting it the better. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    Would work experience as a teaching assistant be beneficial in applying for a PGCE?

I want to go into teaching after my degree, and with teaching getting more and more competitive, I thought it may give me an edge to have classroom experience.

Yay or nay?

A lot of people on my course were TAs last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)

Yay or nay?

Not only is it beneficial but it's pretty much essential. PGCEs, especially for primary school, are very competitive and you probably won't get onto one without classroom experience. Ring around local schools to see if they need anyone, or maybe your uni will have a Students In Schools scheme set up which you could get involved in.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    It would help, but it's not essential to get paid experience in schools. I got a job as a TA - the best places to look are the local Council job website - they normally have a schools section. However, some positions (primary at least) ask for an NVQ - annoying if you have a degree!

ReputationRep:
    yes definitely will be beneficial, join education agencies and check local council websites for jobs, i got a temp postion through an agency then a permanent position through a local council website

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma t)
    yes definitely will be beneficial, join education agencies and check local council websites for jobs, i got a temp postion through an agency then a permanent position through a local council website
    (Original post by xKTx)
    It would help, but it's not essential to get paid experience in schools. I got a job as a TA - the best places to look are the local Council job website - they normally have a schools section. However, some positions (primary at least) ask for an NVQ - annoying if you have a degree!
    (Original post by areonite)
    Not only is it beneficial but it's pretty much essential. PGCEs, especially for primary school, are very competitive and you probably won't get onto one without classroom experience. Ring around local schools to see if they need anyone, or maybe your uni will have a Students In Schools scheme set up which you could get involved in.
    (Original post by *River)
    A lot of people on my course were TAs last year.
    (Original post by Suzanathema)
    Yes, definitely. Experience is an absolute plus.

Getting into it depends on what age group you want to teach. Either way it would be best to volunteer first, and hope they offer you a paid position. There is also, if you're hoping to do primary, some good recruitment websites for TAs. Secondary is harder because they tend to recruit school-by-school so you would need to volunteer first.

But yeah, very very few people get on a PGCE without having substantial experience so the sooner you can start getting it the better. Good luck
    Thanks folks, very much appreciated!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.