Turn on thread page Beta

The best intro to a song ever? watch

ReputationRep:
    Broken wings- Mr Mister

ReputationRep:
    Hysteria - Muse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyBeautiful)
    Anyone agree with me that Baba O'Riley is a bit.....boring? If you're going for a long intro, being purely repetitive does not an epic intro make

I'd go for something by Yes
    Oh, Yes indeed. For me though, Pink Floyd are the masters of the intro - prime cases being Shine On You Crazy Diamond and Echoes:

Either that, or the live intro to Supper's Ready by Genesis:

ReputationRep:
    Muse- Bliss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH-Biker)
    In my opinion, its Voodoo Child's by Jimmy Hendrix.

:cool:

Two Jimmy Hendrix Haters, huh? :rolleyes:
    Plug In Baby - MUSE
    Knights of Cydonia - MUSE
    Baba O'Riley - The Who

Way too many.

AND OF COURSE, DIRRTY - CHRISTINA.

ReputationRep:
    A few that came to mind:
    Town Called Malice-The Jam
    This Charming Man-The Smiths
    Dog Days are Over-Florence and the Machine
    Don't Look Back into the Sun-The Libertines
    Norgaard-The Vaccines
    Cousins-Vampire Weekend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entangled)
    Oh, Yes indeed. For me though, Pink Floyd are the masters of the intro - prime cases being Shine On You Crazy Diamond and Echoes:

Either that, or the live intro to Supper's Ready by Genesis:

Yep, good call on Pink Floyd. I suppose the main issue with bands like these are distinguishing what counts as an intro, or what is really just the song. I didn't include Heart of the Sunrise (Yes) because I thought it was a bit long to be an intro specfically :lol: though if we are counting SOYCD, I'll include HotS

Actually, though I do love SOYCD but I think the opening instrumental is just a nice intermin until the good stuff starts, ie, the singing. So I'm still going for Yes

Funnily enough, another of my favourite intros- in comparison to the 5 minute jobs by Pink Floyd or Yes- is Cecilia by Simon and Garfunkel; it lasts all of 10 seconds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobilina0)
    I've always loved Roundabout
    What good taste you have!

ReputationRep:

Entrancing; when I first heard it, I played just the part before the vocals start over and over again. Was a few days before I listened to the whole song, and it changed my life when I did.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyBeautiful)
    Yep, good call on Pink Floyd. I suppose the main issue with bands like these are distinguishing what counts as an intro, or what is really just the song. I didn't include Heart of the Sunrise (Yes) because I thought it was a bit long to be an intro specfically :lol: though if we are counting SOYCD, I'll include HotS

<>

Actually, though I do love SOYCD but I think the opening instrumental is just a nice intermin until the good stuff starts, ie, the singing. So I'm still going for Yes

Funnily enough, another of my favourite intros- in comparison to the 5 minute jobs by Pink Floyd or Yes- is Cecilia by Simon and Garfunkel; it lasts all of 10 seconds

<>
    In which case, I see your Heart of the Sunrise and Cecilia, and raise you one America (the intro is immense and it kinda ties in the points nicely) and one Scarborough Fair (like Cecilia, it's only 10 seconds long, but it invites you to sit down and listen).

And I'm not sure I could overlook a bit of funky piano in there:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entangled)
    In which case, I see your Heart of the Sunrise and Cecilia, and raise you one America (the intro is immense and it kinda ties in the points nicely) and one Scarborough Fair (like Cecilia, it's only 10 seconds long, but it invites you to sit down and listen).

Scarborough Fair is one of my favourite songs :love: I agree about the intro. In a similar vein, I've always loved REM's Half A World Away:

Good pick with America, though I prefer the original song- and the gentle 'mms' in the intro- overall (can't beat a bit of S&G in any circumstance, for me )

Hadn't heard the Jethro Tull one- very nice! Thanks

I suppose I need to raise you with something else so I'll go with another Yes, but from a bit later. This is actually the end of Gates of Delirium, but I'm sure it was made into a single on its own so I'll count it. Very serene:

In fact, Gates of Delirium itself has a great intro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by academic eric)
    This and...

These Colours Don't Run - Iron Maiden
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - Metalllica
    Halo - Machine Head
    Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple
    Sweet Soul Sister - The Cult

not to everyone's taste.. but meh XD

ReputationRep:
    The Smiths - This Charming Man
    Wanna Be Starting Something - Michael Jackson

Also Do It Twice - Bob Marley. That intro has been my ring tone for years. I really don't like the song itself though.

ReputationRep:

mmmmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student777)
    Muse- Bliss
    I've got to agree with this. There is an unholy amount of awesomeness in the intro to Bliss. That said I'm a huge muse fan so obviously my favourite intro had to be a muse song.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh that's a hard one! Here's a few...

...and there's a load more tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Not the greatest , but yo with some great headphones get ready for an ear orgasm (or a couple)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvsfG...quv5g&index=10

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.