Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So my Enlish IGCSE is in roughly 1 month and its probably the subject I find most boring to revise. In the exam we must do: Journeys End, Songs of Ourselves (poetry) and Stories of Ourselves (short stories). Its closed books btw.

I personally think that I have covered the poetry section well; I remember quotes and can analyse at a good level 7 poems (depending a bit on probability of the poems that will come in the exam though)

However, I find extremely boring reading over notes of short stories and Journeys End. So does anyone have any tips on the best way of revising these? Should I remember some key quotes? Should I rely my luck on the passage based question that will come? Meh I hate literature and my english teacher, but I still want to get the A/A* :rolleyes:

Btw in the mocks I got: Short Stories "B", Journeys End "B" and Poetry "A" by only revising for the poetry exam.

ReputationRep:
    would like to know the same thing

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you know the texts inside out. Literally, so you can quote a line perfectly and know pretty much where abouts in the text it is from. Then you need to revise all the key themes and the significance of certain characters etc. Finally find old exam questions and do these. Do the hardest ones first and try and answer them as well as you can. Cover as many questions as you can, that way you will be in a good position to answer the real exam questions.

Also it might be worth buying something like York Notes for each of the texts. These normally contain a detailed break down of each theme. x

ReputationRep:
    As has been said, make sure you know the texts. Try to read the books 3 - 4 times if you can.
    It is hard to revise for Lit, I'd say the best way to revise is to discuss different ideas with friends.

ReputationRep:
    Ok Im re-reading the short stories and re-reading the essays which I have written in class, I think that I will end up doing the passage based question on this section unless the question is about the 2 short stories which I don't feel so confident for.
    I do have the York Notes for Journeys End and I must say that they're excellent. I also have them for Romeo and Juliet, but anyways, thats my last exam and I will have 4 free days to prepare for it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.