Turn on thread page Beta

Not letting yourself fall for someone?? watch

A few months ago I had my heartbroken by a guy, and have literally (within the last 2 or 3 weeks) only just got over him. I decided I wanted to stay single for a while, but I was open to dating. But instead of dating a couple of guys, I ended up dating just one. We had an amazing weekend together and another amazing day and I can definitely feel that there is potential for something, but it scares me. He says he really likes me and would never hurt me etc etc...and it's not that I think he would ever hurt me, I just *know* that this 'always ends in tears' and that at some point, one person is going to feel differently about the other, and one person is going to hurt the other. Maybe I'm being a big cynic but I feel like I'm being realistic right now. I even contemplated trying to find peace with the idea of never marrying and having children, because it might never happen for me.
    In my heart I desperately want to carry on seeing this guy because he's absolutely lovely and we have the best times...but in my head I just keep thinking that it's not worth the risk of the heartache that follows. I'm not interested in having a casual relationship with anyone, I'm at a point where it's either be in a relationship or be single, full stop. I know this guy wants to be in a relationship with me.
    Is it even possible to keep seeing him and not fall for him, when even today I was sad to see him leave? Is there any possible way I can avoid getting hurt, or hurting him?

ReputationRep:
    That's why I have crutches!

ReputationRep:
    OP, I feel like that too. It's like you know you're gonna get hurt but you don't want to stop seeing the guy because you like him a lot.

I say give it a shot. Grab it while it's there. In relationships, you can't avoid getting hurt. You will always get hurt, but on the side of that you'll also be happy while in a relationship because of the connection/bonding/feelings you have with the person. It's like when you're happy, sadness will come pretty soon. If you know what I mean. When there is good news, there will always be bad news.
    So, either you take the risk of getting hurt and go out with the man you like and be happy with him or you could forget about it and feel regret that he could be the guy who may stay with you for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    love always hurts

ReputationRep:
    Just get over it and date him; if you don't and end up alone for the rest of your life you're going to regret it and wish you had.

Yes, people get hurt, it's just a part of life. It's a part of relationships that, hopefully, make the individuals better in their next one.

How old are you by the way?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.