This discussion is closed.
Sophie
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi, i am doing a piece of investigative courswork, on T-Totals in Maths. You have to use a 9x9 gird, and draw a T shape, consisting of 3x2 squares. Then you have to find a T-number, which is the number at the bottom of the T and then a T-total, which is all of the numbers inside of the T, example,

Blue T-Shape: 6+7+8+16+25=62
The T-Number is: 25
The T-Total is: 62

Then you have to find a connection between the T-Number, and the T-Total. this is the part i am having trouble with.

If anyone is doing the same piece of courswork, or anyone could give me any tips then i would be very grateful.

Thank you, Love Sophie
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hi yeah it took me a while, try 5t-7g. g being the width of the grid and t being the t-number.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi Sophie,
I wonder if you have solved your problem. The answer is Given a T number, the Total will be 5T-63.

Working: Take any T. The SUM in Vertical Row of the T is 3xMiddle Number. The Middle Number is always T-9.

The SUM of the Horizontal Row is 3xMiddle Number. This Middle number is always T-18. But the Middle number in the Horizontal is already counted when ones does the Vertical addition.

So we have SUM inside a T = (T-9)x3 + (T-18)x2
Simplify this and you get SUM = 5T-63

Hope this helps.
Regards / Bala Uncle from Singapore
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
this is easier:

if you look at the t-shape for example:

1 2 3

This is the same as:

20-19 20-18 20-17
20-9
20-0

or...

n-19 n-18 n-17
n-9
n-0

n is the t-number

if you add up all of those, e.g,

(n-19)+(n-18)+(n-17)+(n-9)+(n-0)

you get:

5n - 63

That is the method most people use, i don't know whether you would understand how i put it cos im not that good at explaining myself, but i found the method quite easy. you can use that method in other calculations aswell, for example when you have to find the t-total from the grid size and t-number (you change the 63 into something like 5g - thats not the answer i just made it up)

i hate the courswork at the moment i am REALLY stuck on part 3- where you have to do rotation (which ive done) reflection, enlargement, transformation (which i think ive done) .

can anyone help?
Shoaibi
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
this is easier:

if you look at the t-shape for example:

1 2 3

This is the same as:

20-19 20-18 20-17
20-9
20-0

or...

n-19 n-18 n-17
n-9
n-0

n is the t-number

if you add up all of those, e.g,

(n-19)+(n-18)+(n-17)+(n-9)+(n-0)

you get:

5n - 63

That is the method most people use, i don't know whether you would understand how i put it cos im not that good at explaining myself, but i found the method quite easy. you can use that method in other calculations aswell, for example when you have to find the t-total from the grid size and t-number (you change the 63 into something like 5g - thats not the answer i just made it up)

i hate the courswork at the moment i am REALLY stuck on part 3- where you have to do rotation (which ive done) reflection, enlargement, transformation (which i think ive done) .

can anyone help?
I might be able to help you with the rotation cuz ive already done it. I can't seem to get the enlargement formula so maybe we could help each other? Could you send me the formula and ill give you the rotoation formula.Thanx
mondaymg
Report 15 years ago
5t-63 only work with the 9 by 9 grid size. If you change the size to 8 by 8, the formula will be 5t-56, and if it was 7 by 7, the formula will change to 5t-49.
That's why the general formula (work with every grid sizes) is 5t-7G. G is the grid size i.e. on 9by9 table, G=9. On 7 by 7, G=7. 6 by 6, G=6...

That what the part 1 is, and the second formula for part 2 is 5(T+a-bG)-7G. I'm still thinking 'bout the 3rd part
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (264)
34.02%
No (512)
65.98%

Watched Threads