How late should a 16 year old be allowed to stay out? Watch

LydiaClare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi everyone, sorry if this is in the wrong place or something, I'm new so I don't really have any idea how this works

I'm 16 and in year 11, my parents will let me stay out untill 11:30 the latest and then only about once a month, also whenever I ask to go somewhere it's a huge deal that it has to be discussed with both my parents which takes up to an hour, then they need to 'consider' it which usually take up to a week, and it's like they never want me to go out, I'm always having to fight to be able to go, which is really annoying. My friends are all, without exception, allowed to stay out a lot later, most can be back around 1/2.

I'm usually going to house parties.

I do well in school and I don't ask to go out more than once a week during term time, and usually not even every week. I think that my parents trust me not to do anything too bad, but that don't act like they it.

But I do usually come home a bit later than my curfew, by maybe half an hour or something. I know that my parents worry about me a lot, like coming home at night (being a girl), and they'll always stay up untill I'm home.

Another thing that really irritates me is that they never let me sleepover at my friends' houses, and I hate having to miss out.

Erm if anyone has any suggestions on how I can help the situation, or if I'm just being silly, please let me know
daisydaffodil
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was allowed out til half 9 on a school night, and 10 at the weekend until I left home at 18 - so you aren't doing too bad The sleepover part I'm not so sure about, have you ever asked why?

If you're always coming home later than your curfew that's not going to help at all with trust issues!
Rory :)
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't know about the week days but about 11 at weekends.
Ahhh good times.
Pterodactyl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Parents are generally more protective over girls than they are with boys (if your friends are boys). I personally think that occasionally 1/2 would be fine, but generally 12 is reasonable. The amount of time they take is a little bit ridiculous, try sitting down with them and telling them that you're nearly an adult and you want to be treated as such etc. Just try not to get angry with them during that conversation.
trollman
Report 7 years ago
At 16 I went on holiday to Belgum with my mates...

But for most kids at 16 probs 1/2? Possibly later.

Best thing to do in your situation is stay at a mates house so you can stay out as late as you want.
Tesphena
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My parents didn't care as long as I told them where I would be and called them before they went to bed to let them know I wasn't dead in a ditch.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I moved out when I was 16.

It very much depends on the 16 year old though. If they have their own key, and are not stupid/likely to get themselves into ****, then whenever they want.

I was allowed to do pretty much whatever I wanted from 13/14.
.Ali.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LydiaClare)
Hi everyone, sorry if this is in the wrong place or something, I'm new so I don't really have any idea how this works

I'm 16 and in year 11, my parents will let me stay out untill 11:30 the latest and then only about once a month, also whenever I ask to go somewhere it's a huge deal that it has to be discussed with both my parents which takes up to an hour, then they need to 'consider' it which usually take up to a week, and it's like they never want me to go out, I'm always having to fight to be able to go, which is really annoying. My friends are all, without exception, allowed to stay out a lot later, most can be back around 1/2.

I do well in school and I don't ask to go out more than once a week during term time, and usually not even every week. I think that my parents trust me not to do anything too bad, but that don't act like they it.

But I do usually come home a bit later than my curfew, by maybe half an hour or something. I know that my parents worry about me a lot, like coming home at night (being a girl), and they'll always stay up untill I'm home.

Another thing that really irritates me is that they never let me sleepover at my friends' houses, and I hate having to miss out.

Erm if anyone has any suggestions on how I can help the situation, or if I'm just being silly, please let me know
Mine don't mind as long as they know where I am. Why can't you sleep at someone's house :unsure:
Arianto
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LydiaClare)

Yeah, I can maybe see why their so worried, since your a girl, though I have the same problem, except I'm a boy :|

Probably should just live with it just now, (11.30's not that bad) ask them if they've changed their minds when your 17 maybe? Definitely within your rights to do anything you want when your 18 though :headbang:
boba
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
when I was 16 I think it was half 11 unless I was going somewhere in particular which they knew about like a party or something. I dunno about weekdays because I came home earlier then without actually having to be told
penguin-
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mine were like this but I was a rebel and started coming home later than I was supposed to In the end, after much persuasion on my part they became a lot more lenient. But then again, I'm almost 18 now so they don't have much choice I suppose.
tieyourmotherdown
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
NO LATER THAN 5:30.

(My parents don't really monitor what time I get back and never have done. To be honest I think it's the best style of parenting because it gives the child responsibility, and they're not going to purposefully rebel and come back too late.)
Manitude
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When I was your age I wasn't allowed out much later than 11:30 too.

I've been making up for it at uni though
CB91
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
By coming back later than what you're allowed, you're hardly earning their trust are you? :facepalm2:
surina_xxx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm 16 and only on weekdays I can stay out till 1am and on weekends it dosn't matter!
Barden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm a boy, and so was allowed to do pretty much as I pleased.
Vitamin D
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've only just turned 17 and to be honest, my parents don't mind as long as they know where I am and that I'm not home ridiculously late (idk, 3am onwards). Even then they'll be asleep so they don't know what time I come in at anyway.
imperial maniac
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lol I don't have a curfew, my parents know they could never ever make me stick to it anyway.

Then again, I'm a muscular 6ft6 bloke, so I'm not going to get raped, unless I'm pounced on by a bunch of midgets.
Sakura-Chan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just do as you're told. If you come back on time, prove you can be trusted, then when there's a time where you want to stay out longer they might think ''yeah, well she's always made sure she's back in time in the past so we can trust her to stay out longer this time'' etc.

If you want to be able to stay over at your friend's houses, just talk to your parents about it in a rational way, and don't come out with the typical line ''you're being so unfair, everyone else gets to'' because at the end of the day, they are your parents and they are just worried about you and like to know you're safe.
kitts!
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Although my mum worried/worrys about me when I go out, she's always let me have pretty much free reign on when I come in, where I go etc. I was going to pubs and clubs from 15 so 11:30 wouldn't have worked. I think this worked better for me and her than other friends of mine whose parents were more strict, as I didn't have to be sneaky and she always knew where I was.
If I was you i'd definatley sit your parents down and try and speak to them about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (50)
15.11%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (28)
8.46%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (63)
19.03%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (51)
15.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (39)
11.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (100)
30.21%

Watched Threads