The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants for 2012 entry (& Offers - for when they're given!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by Meodien
Well, I won't be graduated until 2014 and actually I'm studying Interior Architecture. To be honest, maybe I'm the main cause here. I wasn't satisfied with what I was taught. Lecturers are not sure with what they know.
I studied interior and they had me design exterior and landscape for my whole 3rd year. :confused:

In my uni, each project I'll have a different mentor. As a student I made mistakes on my project all the time. They're responsible for pointing that out (but they never explain why) and helping me correct those. One time, I decided to keep their corrections, not added anything else into it in order to check if they're really sure of what they're teaching us. After having a look at my project, they just insulted me. :eek: Stuff like: "What's on your head? How could you make such a stupid mistake like this? How could you be accepted to this school?" and then I said: "Well, that is your correction. That is your hand drawing. I did nothing but keeping it." They kept silence and I got bad mark. :confused: Some of them didn't know what to adjust in my projects. I asked them: "Does it look good? Is there anything need to change?".
They just said my model or my design is well-done, nothing else needed and I still got bad marks.:confused::confused::confused:
It's just ridiculous.:rolleyes:

:eek: That's... Feel sorry for you to have sort of 'wasted' three years studying there. But I guess there are still some skills that may be applicable in the future! And I have to say I really appreciate your persistence in Architecture even after this bizarre teaching.

And well played to that correction thing :colone: Haha, maybe you should keep those projects and seek for advices from mentors in OB later? You can also upload to the TSR forum, there are LOTS of excellent architectural students here! (If you're brace enough...)

Once again, really feel very sorry for your experience. Hope you can soar in OB and enjoy the education there! :smile:

PS. guys, why neg again when she was just sharing her experience? :s-smilie:
Reply 1981
Which university is better in Architecture? Newcastle or Kent? Why?
Reply 1982
Original post by winniey
:eek: That's... Feel sorry for you to have sort of 'wasted' three years studying there. But I guess there are still some skills that may be applicable in the future! And I have to say I really appreciate your persistence in Architecture even after this bizarre teaching.

And well played to that correction thing :colone: Haha, maybe you should keep those projects and seek for advices from mentors in OB later? You can also upload to the TSR forum, there are LOTS of excellent architectural students here! (If you're brace enough...)

Once again, really feel very sorry for your experience. Hope you can soar in OB and enjoy the education there! :smile:

PS. guys, why neg again when she was just sharing her experience? :s-smilie:

Architecture is all I can think of when it comes to my career. I couldn't stand sitting in office for hours and hours taking care of customers or answering phone or whatever like that.
Yeah, I do hope that I can do things I've never tried before when I come to OB.

PS. Is that neg rate for my awkward writing? :colone:
Reply 1983
Original post by Meodien
Architecture is all I can think of when it comes to my career. I couldn't stand sitting in office for hours and hours taking care of customers or answering phone or whatever like that.
Yeah, I do hope that I can do things I've never tried before when I come to OB.

PS. Is that neg rate for my awkward writing? :colone:

Hi, I think i can understand ur nickname crazy cat, if thats so we r from the same country :cool:
Feel so sorry for the experience u got with the tutor in ur uni tho. Which uni r u in right now?
Reply 1985

Check out the 2012 aj100 ranking instead, it has just been published recently. Definitely a lot more authoritative than the guardian one imo.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Meh_
Check out the 2012 aj100 ranking instead, it has just been published recently. Definitely a lot more authoritative than the guardian one imo.

Could you please give me the link? Or PM me the list.
Interesting article on Guardian Architecture League Table
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1987
Original post by Winchester
Could you please give me the link? Or PM me the list.
Interesting article on Guardian Architecture League Table

Sorry I couldn't find it anywhere online. But here is the list anyway (I'm a subscriber of the AJ and this was published in last week's issue)...

The top 100 British firms were asked to give their opinion on UK's best architecture school and only the top 3 have been revealed.

1. Bartlett
2. Sheffield/Mackintosh (Glasgow)
3. AA/ London Met

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Meh_
Sorry I couldn't find it anywhere online. But here is the list anyway (I'm a subscriber of the AJ and this was published in last week's issue)...

The top 100 British firms were asked to give their opinion on UK's best architecture school and only the top 3 have been revealed.

1. Bartlett
2. Sheffield/Mackintosh (Glasgow)
3. AA/ London Met

Hope this helps :smile:

London Met at 3 :eek: whaaat! That's surprising
Reply 1989
London Met at 3 :eek: whaaat! That's surprising

Apparently the Bartlett received nearly a third of the total votes, Sheffield/Glasgow about 7% each and AA/London Met 5% each. So yeah it seems like the Bartlett holds an even stronger position at the top this year...and London Met, yeah I agree with you it's quite a surprise! Well, good on 'em. :wink:
was shocked to see sheffield dropped to 7th on the guardian rankings! :redface: but kinda makes up for it that it's 2nd on the aj rankings, guess they mean the most really :smile: shocked at london met just like everyone else though!
Reply 1991
Hello, i have a quiestion about the architecture field; i am interested in the whole architect career but i am more interested in the part of designing and drawing them out on CAD on computer, rather then being the person creating them from scratch
could u tell me which field this is and what a good course would be to study at uni?
Thanks!
Reply 1992
Original post by aran09
Hello, i have a quiestion about the architecture field; i am interested in the whole architect career but i am more interested in the part of designing and drawing them out on CAD on computer, rather then being the person creating them from scratch
could u tell me which field this is and what a good course would be to study at uni?
Thanks!

That sounds like a draughtsman.. or an architect....
Reply 1993
Original post by iahnyh
Hi, I think i can understand ur nickname crazy cat, if thats so we r from the same country :cool:
Feel so sorry for the experience u got with the tutor in ur uni tho. Which uni r u in right now?

You got it right. :biggrin: I'm in HCMC University of Architecture. And you?
Original post by aran09
Thanks!

I would say that sounds kind of like architectural technology, they seem to do more cad work and less designing so maybe do some research on that. That can lead to being a technician (using computers, CAD and generally the technical specialization stuff) or a draftsman, which is transferring architects work to digital forms.
Reply 1995
Anyone is curently in the university of Bath or already graduated from there doing Architecture course???

I have seen the ranking of Architecture on the leagle table, Bath is even the top one which really impresses me, but I heard a pupil from my school that his friend chose Manchester School of Architecture rather than Bath( not because of location or money).

What do you think of Bath then???
What makes it to stand on the top of the ranking?

Anyone have any little idea will be really apprecited!!:smile:
Reply 1996
Hey guys was just wondering what univeristies everyones applied at :biggrin: and if anyone goes to or has heard anything about architecture at Kent or Kingston, if its good or not?
Any help is much appreciated!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
Congratulations to all of you! I really hope all of you make your offers, I will be applying this year, possibly to sheffield, ucl, cambridge, cardiff and edinburgh, I need some help with my portfolio, it would be extremely helpful if you could post a link to your portfolio, or outline pieces, thank you so much :smile:
When someone will start a thread for 2013 entry?
When someone will start a thread for 2013 entry?

not intended in a b*tchy way at all but you could start one yourself? :smile: idk really :smile: not sure when this one was started but given that you guys are just starting looking at universities I'd say now's as good a time as any :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending