The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants for 2012 entry (& Offers - for when they're given!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
HI,
I'm studying bachelors of architecture (B.Arch) from India. It is a 5 yr course.
I want to do masters M.Arch from UK. My architectural degree is not recognised by RIBA. I would like to know details to go for the prescribed qualification for part 1. As in, my course will complete in May 2012 and would like to join in UK by Sept 2012.
So when should i register for exam, what is the procedure, is it too difficult, how long will it take to get the certificate etc.
Has anyone gone thorugh the process. Any advice will be appreciated.
hi just wanted to know what subject combination people decided to go with ( for A2) i decided with maths, history and art
Reply 102
Original post by luckycharm
hi just wanted to know what subject combination people decided to go with ( for A2) i decided with maths, history and art

biology, chemistry, music, art (maths and physics AS though)
Original post by dhonezz
HI,
I'm studying bachelors of architecture (B.Arch) from India. It is a 5 yr course.
I want to do masters M.Arch from UK. My architectural degree is not recognised by RIBA. I would like to know details to go for the prescribed qualification for part 1. As in, my course will complete in May 2012 and would like to join in UK by Sept 2012.
So when should i register for exam, what is the procedure, is it too difficult, how long will it take to get the certificate etc.

You need to speak to the RIBA, ARB and the universities themselves, they will know more than us, I doubt anyone on here can help you.
Reply 104
Original post by dhonezz
HI,

*IF* you want to become a registered architect in the UK, you'll need to get Part 1 before you get part 2 (which would be an accredited M.Arch. or Dip.Arch.).

To get part 1, you need to submit your work and explain via commentary how proves you have the abilities/knowledge/etc. that they expect from you in order to obtain Part 1.

I'm currently waiting for my exam date. It's expensive, takes a while to put together, very challenging.

If it is something you want to do, read all of the PDFs on this webpage:

http://www.arb.org.uk/registration/how_to_register/overseas_and_non-recognised_uk_qualifications.php
I'm going to apply to Strathclyde and GSA this year to do architecture ! :smile:
Reply 106
Original post by Moody
Did quite bad at AS as I didn't revise as much as I should have done, the only good grade was a B in History.
I was wondering if it would be possible to apply to Architecture this year and be accepted if I get decent predicted grades (aiming for As and Bs).
I'm doing Maths, Chemistry and History btw.

I got ABDD for my AS and was then predicted ABBB for my A2 but only got one offer for Architecture (i did defer though). So i'm not saying it's not possible, but it will be significantly harder to get offers than if you were closer to your predicted grades because a lot of grade requirements are AAA-ABB. Also by not doing art you reduce the number of unis that'll offer you a place as many require a portfolio.
Did quite bad at AS as I didn't revise as much as I should have done, the only good grade was a B in History.
I was wondering if it would be possible to apply to Architecture this year and be accepted if I get decent predicted grades (aiming for As and Bs).

Thanks

A lot of courses require AAA-AAB or in that region. I am hoping to do architecture, and i have not done very well in my AS's at all ( A,B,D,E,U) so I have been advised to take a gap year, and apply for 2013. That way, they can look at your final A2's, not your predicted A2's which they get from your AS's. Which if they aren't very good, your prediction wont be good either. Also, a lot of unis require you to have done art, or at least a creative subject... You will have to have drawing skills and have a portfolio of drawings/sketches/photograph/models maybe, to get it. I would suggest going on a course with a uni. Like the Architectural Drawing course offered by CSM for anyone. This way, you learn how to draw + build up your portfolio at the same time. These sort of courses normally cost in the region of £300-£500.
Reply 108
Original post by Moody

edit: I can draw, I just didn't do Art :\

I did art and at a2 i got ABCD, the D was in music so Im going to be leaving that off, my A and B are being improved to A* A, and theres nothing I can do about the C (in art but I too am an excellent artist), I would suggest that if you cant get your teachers to give you the predicted grades that you need then take a gap year.
Reply 109
Original post by dpasc
*IF* you want to become a registered architect in the UK, you'll need to get Part 1 before you get part 2 (which would be an accredited M.Arch. or Dip.Arch.).

To get part 1, you need to submit your work and explain via commentary how proves you have the abilities/knowledge/etc. that they expect from you in order to obtain Part 1.

I'm currently waiting for my exam date. It's expensive, takes a while to put together, very challenging.

thanks for ur replies... :smile:
As of now.. i don't have any plans to be registered architect in UK. I just want to study for masters there... for the time being..
I understand, that to be a registered architect i have to give the test. I read the Professional Accreditation for M.Arch at the site of Brighton University that
" As Part 1 exemption is not a prerequisite for Part 2, we are able to accept applications for the MArch programme from students who have a degree in architecture, or a closely related subject, but who do not have a Part 1 qualification. "
so now the question is, that is this acceptable at all unis, or is it a decision taken independently by unis?? :confused:
I just want to study for 2 yrs there..
Just passing to note that I'll be applying for architecture this year too! Good luck to everyone :smile:
Original post by singsongballadsmiles
Just passing to note that I'll be applying for architecture this year too! Good luck to everyone :smile:

where are u applying to? have u started ur portfolio?
Reply 112
I am applying for
Sheffield Hallam 300ucas
Kent 340
Portsmouth 280
DMU 280
Nottingham Trent 320
My AS grades are BBCD in Biology, Maths, Art and, Physics.
My predicted grades should be ABB
Do my choices seem achievable??
Reply 113
Original post by luckycharm

Design Tech, Maths, Physics
Reply 114
Original post by dhonezz
thanks for ur replies... :smile:
As of now.. i don't have any plans to be registered architect in UK. I just want to study for masters there... for the time being..
I understand, that to be a registered architect i have to give the test. I read the Professional Accreditation for M.Arch at the site of Brighton University that
" As Part 1 exemption is not a prerequisite for Part 2, we are able to accept applications for the MArch programme from students who have a degree in architecture, or a closely related subject, but who do not have a Part 1 qualification. "
so now the question is, that is this acceptable at all unis, or is it a decision taken independently by unis?? :confused:
I just want to study for 2 yrs there..

Depends on the school.

Some will absolutely not accept without Part 1. Others will let you take the course if you don't, but then you won't get Part 2 when you graduate. Also, the Glasgow school of art will accept you without Part 1, but then if you want Part 2, you need to get Part 1 by the start of the SECOND year of the program. They all do their own thing.

The only universal thing is that you can't get Part 2 without Part 1 (both in regards to education and ARB examinations).

If you're not intending to register as an architect in the UK, I'd say just do a masters degree that has nothing to do with RIBA. The Part 2 courses are designed for people wanting to become architects.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by irina793
where are u applying to? have u started ur portfolio?

I'm applying to UCL, Cambridge, Sheffield, Cardiff and Bath. I guess the fact that I've been doing art means yes! Otherwise, still need to catch up on a few things to include :biggrin:
Original post by singsongballadsmiles
I'm applying to UCL, Cambridge, Sheffield, Cardiff and Bath. I guess the fact that I've been doing art means yes! Otherwise, still need to catch up on a few things to include :biggrin:

hei, cool, I'm applying to ucl too.. when are u sending in your application?
Reply 117
Original post by dpasc
Depends on the school.

Some will absolutely not accept without Part 1. Others will let you take the course if you don't, but then you won't get Part 2 when you graduate. Also, the Glasgow school of art will accept you without Part 1, but then if you want Part 2, you need to get Part 1 by the start of the SECOND year of the program. They all do their own thing.

The only universal thing is that you can't get Part 2 without Part 1 (both in regards to education and ARB examinations).

thank you sooooo much!!! :smile:
Since i have to give the test, I would like to know how is it going to work out.
As in, I'm still studying and will complete my course in May 2012, from India. All the unis want Part 1 to be eligible for applying. I would want to apply to all the unis by May, of course that's not possible since the test is to be given in London, and there's no way I can give test before that. :frown:

You mentioned that you're also preparing for the same. So please tell me how are you doing it?? (Please bear with me, i can't think straight because of soo much tension. I' stressing out. :please: )

also i would want reviews for Nottingham Trent Uni
thank you for your help
(edited 12 years ago)
Anyone thinking of applying to Nottingham?
Original post by Onique
Design Tech, Maths, Physics

that's good i feel a bit weird about carrying on history now cos it seems like not many people applying are taking a humanities subject at A2. Have you decided where you're applying to? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest