This discussion is closed.
stu_uk_aussie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
My ambition is too go into the Police Force as it is always what I wanted to do, the most obvious thing to do at Uni is Criminology but is there any point to this degree, as personally I cant see what jobs it serves. An increase of 30% uni's have seen this degree being applied for they put it mainly down to programmes such as CSI but what does the degree actually serve and what career paths
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by stu_uk_aussie)
My ambition is too go into the Police Force as it is always what I wanted to do, the most obvious thing to do at Uni is Criminology but is there any point to this degree, as personally I cant see what jobs it serves. An increase of 30% uni's have seen this degree being applied for they put it mainly down to programmes such as CSI but what does the degree actually serve and what career paths
You could do it then go fast track into the Police Force.

Having said that it is of little practical value as very few people are employed in this field in the U.K.

Getting two good A-Levels and applying to the Police would have pretty much the same effect - if you are "fast track" material they will flag you up easily.
researcher
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
If you want to go to uni before joining the police, criminology is as good a subject as any other and you'll do modules on relevant subjects. Fast-tracking is a tricky one though - it's not popular amongst many police officers but that could be jealousy. ;-) I used to work as a police civilian so have heard much talk!
My daughter's studying criminology and finding it really interesting. She has taken modules in subjects such as social policy, psychology, research methods, criminology, criminal justice system. Obvious career paths are police, probation service, prison service, social services but it would be a pretty good foundation for many careers involving working with other people. If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll see if I can get some answers.

A common misconception is that a degree in criminology will equip you to become a forensic scientist and I think this is where a lot of the recent interest has sprung from. I read an article recently that said unis are now offering such subject combinations as forensics and film studies!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads