Statistics for number of people taking Latin/Greek A-Level?

Watch this thread
Olivette
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hello there,

I'm new here so please excuse me if this is in the wrong place!

I'm writing an Extended Project Qualification on the status of Latin and Greek as languages and as school subjects, and I wondered if anyone knew where to find statistics on the number of GCSE and/or A-Level entries for Latin and Greek.

I've used A-level statistics from the Guardian, but they have blanketed all Classical subjects together, which is fine for comparing Classics with other A-level subjects, but I preferably need to compare Latin and Greek individually.

I know these statistics exist because on the Info board in our Latin classroom there is a breakdown of how many people took GCSE, AS, A2 and AEA Latin from 2007 to 2011. I don't remember the numbers though, and I don't know where they're from.

I doubt there's a statistic out there, but out of interest, in what combination do you study Latin and Greek? I'm guessing the majority will be studying Latin alone.

My numerous attempts to search for this on Google have mainly yielded totally irrelevant statistics about Latin America. If anyone can do better than me, I would be extremely grateful!
Aeschylus
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 years ago
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2241711.ece

statistics are from 2006-7 though they are the earliest I can find
LeSacMagique
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
I did both at GCSE and just Latin at A-Level. There are two people in my year who do both at A-Level.
Olivette
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Thank you very much!
Scholar1996
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aeschylus)
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2241711.ece

statistics are from 2006-7 though they are the earliest I can find
The link does't work. Is it possible to see this statistics elsewhere ?
LuxVeritatis
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/142194-...-june-2013.pdf

Page 11-12 of this has GCSE statistics from this year
Ron Forrest
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I took A level Latin in 1952 - the last time anybody did that at my London grammar school. The Latin teacher left shortly afterwards.
Like you I have searched high and low for the results this year but without success. Nil desperandum.

Ron Forrest
Classics_Teacher
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
If I remember rightly, the exam boards used to publish total number of entries in their 'examiner reports', but I don't think they do so any longer.

Your best bet may be to get in touch via your school with the exam boards that offer Classical subjects (OCR and WJEC, SQA in Scotland and CCEA in Northern Ireland) and see if you can get the information directly from the horse's mouth as it were!Hope this helps... it sounds a very interesting project!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (221)
42.18%
The paper was reasonable (225)
42.94%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
9.16%
It was TERRIBLE (30)
5.73%

Watched Threads