The Student Room Group

How important is reputation?

I'm trying to decide what university to go to in septmember, I have an offer from a fairly highly ranked uni (UEA) but I think I like Chester more (not very well known). Will my choice of uni really make a difference in my future?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Only if your planning to go for the top jobs, things like the top law firms, banking etc etc.Top 5-10% paying jobs will care, in general, however it's not exactly the biggest factor by any means.
The further down the pay scale you go the less they care.

People will comment and say that all top firms care, with no actual proof, they just assume.
But take it from me, i have talked to course leaders at several universities and management at several law and accountacy firms. Who have all told me the same thing.. firms don't care nearly as much as people think.
I'd say it makes a big difference
Reply 3
Original post by rocket0612

Yeah,I guess.

Really,I'd go to UEA,but at the end of the day it's your choice.
Reply 4
Original post by rocket0612

No point telling OP this when it's just your opinion based on nothing .. people have a misguided view about what employers want.
Reply 5
loads of people seem to think its really important at the end of a day a degree is a degree no matter where it came from . if they think your more suitable then some one from oxford then not gonna pick the oxford graduate
I'd say it matters less the smaller the gap with the unis, as you'd expect. I applied to unis with mostly similarish reputations - Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham etc. and in the end picked between them based on the one I liked best and felt the most comfortable at. So I reckon a bit of both is the best approach.
Reply 7
Original post by Chole
I'm trying to decide what university to go to in septmember, I have an offer from a fairly highly ranked uni (UEA) but I think I like Chester more (not very well known). Will my choice of uni really make a difference in my future?

I am in the same situation right now and after doing a lot of research i think it doesnt really matter. Unless its Oxbridge most of the employers dont really care about the reputation.
Depends on the course.

For medicine, going to oxbridge can be a hinderance due to how the course differs. (For those who don't know, they're more academic based. So *supposedly* aren't as good at actually communicating... which is well... kinda key to being a doctor and all <.<)

Probably more likely to help if you were going abroad to get a job TBH. I would presume people abroad would know of Oxbridge far more than say... King's?

*shrugs*
Reply 9
Original post by Tommyjw
Only if your planning to go for the top jobs, things like the top law firms, banking etc etc.Top 5-10% paying jobs will care, in general, however it's not exactly the biggest factor by any means.
The further down the pay scale you go the less they care.

People will comment and say that all top firms care, with no actual proof, they just assume.
But take it from me, i have talked to course leaders at several universities and management at several law and accountacy firms. Who have all told me the same thing.. firms don't care nearly as much as people think.

This pretty much sums it up. I don't think most employers make much distinction between universities, unless they're fairly major companies.

All the same, it would be handy to know what kind of job you're aiming for, OP.
A law firm my boyfriend worked at didn't care where you got your degree from as long as you had at least a 2:1 and a really good reference and people skills.

Obviously in really huge top firms they could take this into account but a lot of the time other things matter more than where you were educated.
Reply 11
Original post by Chole

UEA :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jack-
You have an offer from the United Arab Emirates? :eek:

UEA (University of East Anglia), not UAE lol.
It's as important as the thumbs up/down system on TSR tbh.
Reply 14
i think it matters alot, personally if i was an employer, and for example had two candidates one from uni of leeds and one from leeds met, both with the same grade in lets say a law degree, both had similar CVs i would most definately choose the person from uni of leeds simply because they have had to work harder to get into that course in the first place. i think reputation is very important, and UEA is a quality uni, recommend anyone to go there!
Reply 15
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
UEA (University of East Anglia), not UAE lol.

Haha oh my goodness, so it is! I'm going blind! :frown:
Original post by Jack-
Haha oh my goodness, so it is! I'm going blind! :frown:

Easy mistake to make your eyes are fine! :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by loafer
We'll take it from you then, after all you are obviously the authority on this because you have 'talked to course leaders and management at several law and accountancy firms', and overlook the fact that you are just a first year on a fairly crap degree course at a fairly crap university.

Despite being at a good university and having already been through graduate recruitment and landed offers at quite a few (very) prestigious firms - you obviously know more about it than anyone else here, I would 'just assume with no actual proof'.:rolleyes:

We will leave it to the experts like you...

You try to mock me.. yet post no evidence against?
Wow.. you really do deserve those places don't you? Bless. Not got much common sense i guess.

It is a fact employers do not care about it as much as people think, if it wasn't so late i'd show you the bbc article that proved it.. it has been posted on this forum many, many times.

Somehow in your ignorant little mind, just because you went to a prestigious university and all that followed, it means i am wrong?

Seriously, your logic is flawless.. i mean.. wow.. amazing.
It depends what course you're studying, and what jobs you plan to do in future.
For example, if you're doing something like Dentistry, the reputation of your university probably makes a lot less of a difference than if you plan to become a Lawyer.
Not very. UEA isn't a bad university but it isn't going to particularly impress employers. What will look better is a First from either and you are more likely to get one doing something you enjoy somewhere you enjoy - as well as being more likely to have other decent things to put on your CV.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending