Scientists and military technology Watch

This discussion is closed.
Blamps
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Are scientists morally resposnsible for inventing technology knowing full well that it could lead to many deaths? For example, Was Haber really a war criminal for his involvement in chemical weapons during WWI or was the Haber process a gift to humanity, which outweiged this? Discuss
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Make your own mind up, that way you dont have to keep making threads like this.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Blamps)
Are scientists morally resposnsible for inventing technology knowing full well that it could lead to many deaths? For example, Was Haber really a war criminal for his involvement in chemical weapons during WWI or was the Haber process a gift to humanity, which outweiged this? Discuss
Haber developed his process with the aim of making bombs using nitrogen etc. Because supplies of N2 was running out. Knowing fullwell that he is a contributor to people's deaths.
However it has to be noted that he also got a nobel prize for it as well.
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I suppose it depends on the intention with which the discovery was made. Einstein never intended for the full force of E=mc^2 to be unleashed on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I want to be a physicist, and looking out for possible future jobs I notice quite a few are with the MoD. I could never work for them.
Blamps
Rep:
?
(Original post by imasillynarb)
Make your own mind up, that way you dont have to keep making threads like this.
Piss off..I am just trying to having a discussion about a potentially topical issue...I do know what I think but would like to know of others' opinions....if you don't like it, don't bother reading it
Blamps
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2776)
Haber developed his process with the aim of making bombs using nitrogen etc. Because supplies of N2 was running out. Knowing fullwell that he is a contributor to people's deaths.
However it has to be noted that he also got a nobel prize for it as well.
Yet the manufacture of NH3 arguably helped to save and improve the lives of many people
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Piss off..I am just trying to having a discussion about a potentially topical issue...I do know what I think but would like to know of others' opinions....if you don't like it, don't bother reading it
How can I know if I like it or not if I dont read it? Its so retarded when people say that, as for my original comment, I was only having a little jest, no need to be so defensive.
Blamps
Rep:
?
How can I know if I like it or not if I dont read it? Its so retarded when people say that, as for my original comment, I was only having a little jest, no need to be so defensive.
Well don't read any topical threads i.e ones that you can envisage to be discussing opinions
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No need for the jest either really, but I did not that you forgot to add a smiley. A smiley generally implies jest
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well don't read any topical threads i.e ones that you can envisage to be discussing opinions
I dont have a problem with topical threads.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
I suppose it depends on the intention with which the discovery was made. Einstein never intended for the full force of E=mc^2 to be unleashed on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Maybe not, but he alerted the American govt. to the potential of Atomic Energy.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The RADAR was developed by scientists trying to create a death beam of sorts. Nothing moves technology forward faster than a good old arms race.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I want to be a physicist, and looking out for possible future jobs I notice quite a few are with the MoD. I could never work for them.
Are any of the MoD jobs anything to do with research and development though? I thought the MoD left that up to BAE Systems, Boeing etc.
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Have you actually read that letter Einstein composed to the F.D.R administration? He may not have specifically meant Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but he did mean to blow something rather large up. It is mentioned in the letter that a bomb could be made that could destroy everything within several miles/kilometres. However it would have to be towed into a habour with a time fuse, as it would be too large to carry via aeroplane. As you all know of course, times changed. But the American's did have to wait for the B-29 to be produced, and even then it could only carry one of the big suckers. Of course Einstein meant for destruction of a built up civilian area? What else would you call a port?
Blamps
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sire)
Have you actually read that letter Einstein composed to the F.D.R administration? He may not have specifically meant Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but he did mean to blow something rather large up. It is mentioned in the letter that a bomb could be made that could destroy everything within several miles/kilometres. However it would have to be towed into a habour with a time fuse, as it would be too large to carry via aeroplane. As you all know of course, times changed. But the American's did have to wait for the B-29 to be produced, and even then it could only carry one of the big suckers. Of course Einstein meant for destruction of a built up civilian area? What else would you call a port?
Scientists even wondered whether the first atomic blast would lead to a chain reaction in the atmosphere, eating up all the oxygen...that would have been a scary thought!
GH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Scientists even wondered whether the first atomic blast would lead to a chain reaction in the atmosphere, eating up all the oxygen...that would have been a scary thought!
Yet they carried on with their experiments...
Blamps
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2776)
Yet they carried on with their experiments...
so they gambled on the lives of billions in order to save thousands....
GH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
so they gambled on the lives of billions in order to save thousands....
Is that an acceptable experimental risk?

Similar to bringing specimens etc from outer space, hoping no virus will be there, waiting to dervastate the planet. It has been calculated that there was a 0.000001% chance of that happening. And yet they carried on.
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Is that an acceptable experimental risk?

Similar to bringing specimens etc from outer space, hoping no virus will be there, waiting to dervastate the planet. It has been calculated that there was a 0.000001% chance of that happening. And yet they carried on.
Think about it, any virus on mars is going to be similar to ones on this planet, and extremely undeveloped compared to viruses on earth, so its hardly dangerous.

The calculations regarding the atmosphere blowing up were done on the back of a cigarette packet, it was mentioned by some scientist at the time, and it was something they had never thought about, so they did a quick calculation to see if it would happen, and as soon as they thought about it logically they knew it was a daft idea anyway.
Blamps
Rep:
?
Think about it, any virus on mars is going to be similar to ones on this planet, and extremely undeveloped compared to viruses on earth, so its hardly dangerous.

The calculations regarding the atmosphere blowing up were done on the back of a cigarette packet, it was mentioned by some scientist at the time, and it was something they had never thought about, so they did a quick calculation to see if it would happen, and as soon as they thought about it logically they knew it was a daft idea anyway.
You can't know for sure whether they actually gave it some serious thought though
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.07%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.51%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.22%
It might lead to more bullying (143)
38.86%
There's nothing they could do (108)
29.35%

Watched Threads