Scientists and military technology Watch

This discussion is closed.
]{ingnik
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Maybe not, but he alerted the American govt. to the potential of Atomic Energy.
somebody's been watching 'days that changed the world'!
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Blamps)
You can't know for sure whether they actually gave it some serious thought though
Read the book "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes, it covers the whole bomb making process from the experiments discovering the existance of neutrons, to the years after WW2 - theres abit about the calculation about the atmosphere in it.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
Think about it, any virus on mars is going to be similar to ones on this planet, and extremely undeveloped compared to viruses on earth, so its hardly dangerous.
Always a possibility. You cannot discount that.
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
Think about it, any virus on mars is going to be similar to ones on this planet, and extremely undeveloped compared to viruses on earth, so its hardly dangerous.

The calculations regarding the atmosphere blowing up were done on the back of a cigarette packet, it was mentioned by some scientist at the time, and it was something they had never thought about, so they did a quick calculation to see if it would happen, and as soon as they thought about it logically they knew it was a daft idea anyway.
Or a perfect virus that has been uncontaminated by human presence. tsk tsk open your mind.
JSM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Blamps)
Are scientists morally resposnsible for inventing technology knowing full well that it could lead to many deaths? For example, Was Haber really a war criminal for his involvement in chemical weapons during WWI or was the Haber process a gift to humanity, which outweiged this? Discuss
no, look at Maxim, who invented the first machine gun, but also some technology of which the originals still drive some of Blackpool's attractions.
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Or a perfect virus that has been uncontaminated by human presence. tsk tsk open your mind.
It doesnt have the capacity to be a perfect virus, and what lives on mars for the virus to have a purpose? tsk tsk use your head
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
the military is the best source of funding. i would like to work with the military after my degree, perhaps developing nonlethal weapons.
Blamps
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
the military is the best source of funding. i would like to work with the military after my degree, perhaps developing nonlethal weapons.
along the lines of the heckler and koch multidecapitator or the MoD SAjamplus?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads