This discussion is closed.
Northumbrianursing
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
im not going to uni until march so wanted to do a little background reading before starting. any good books that can be recommended?

thanks
James1977
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Northumbrianursing)
im not going to uni until march so wanted to do a little background reading before starting. any good books that can be recommended?

thanks
Have you tried contacting your university to see what they recommend or if they have a reading list?

I phoned the university and left my details, receiving an email from a tutor a day later with a list of some relevant books for the start of year one.

She made a strong point about not wishing to provide an 'everything you'll need for three years' list because it could be a little overwhelming as well as expensive to procure.
anon2010
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

thanks
Guessing by your user name your going to Northumbria
If so....

Go to this page : http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/?view=C...1&page=modules

Click on each modular and it tells you what books and resources they use under 'INDICATIVE READING LIST OR OTHER LEARNING RESOURCES'
Northumbrianursing
Rep:
?
(Original post by anon2010)
Guessing by your user name your going to Northumbria
If so....

Go to this page : http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/?view=C...1&page=modules

Click on each modular and it tells you what books and resources they use under 'INDICATIVE READING LIST OR OTHER LEARNING RESOURCES'
thanks
Annie72
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I can recommend the following:

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...=9780702029462

and

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...=9781444335101

Hope this helps
wizardtop
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

thanks
I would recommend some of the following text books Northumbrianursing some books will be more expensive costwise than others,so u need to look on websites such as amazon and especialy e-bay for seconded hand nursing books but are some of my recommendations:-
The Royal Marsden Hospital Manual of Clinical Nursing Procedures Sixth Edition (Royal Marsden Nhs Trust)
Nursing Practice: Hospital and Home -- The Adult [Paperback]
Foundations of Nursing Practice: Fundamentals of Holistic Care [Paperback]
Common Foundation Studies in Nursing [Paperback]
no student nurse cant do without this quite essential book which is

The Student Nurse Handbook: A Survival Guide [Paperback]

The rest of the books i have recommened Northumbriannursing can be quite expensive at between 20-30 pounds thats why it maybe worth you while if you could get them second hand.
If you going to be doing adult nursing i think rather the Royal Marsden book or Nursing Practive Hospital and Home will come into its own.
Northumbrianursing
Rep:
?
(Original post by wizardtop)
I would recommend some of the following text books Northumbrianursing some books will be more expensive costwise than others,so u need to look on websites such as amazon and especialy e-bay for seconded hand nursing books but are some of my recommendations:-
The Royal Marsden Hospital Manual of Clinical Nursing Procedures Sixth Edition (Royal Marsden Nhs Trust)
Nursing Practice: Hospital and Home -- The Adult [Paperback]
Foundations of Nursing Practice: Fundamentals of Holistic Care [Paperback]
Common Foundation Studies in Nursing [Paperback]
no student nurse cant do without this quite essential book which is

The Student Nurse Handbook: A Survival Guide [Paperback]

The rest of the books i have recommened Northumbriannursing can be quite expensive at between 20-30 pounds thats why it maybe worth you while if you could get them second hand.
If you going to be doing adult nursing i think rather the Royal Marsden book or Nursing Practive Hospital and Home will come into its own.

thanks are you doing nursing atm, or are you a nurse?
wizardtop
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
thanks are you doing nursing atm, or are you a nurse?
nope i am not a nurse atm Northumbriannursing,i have friends who are nurses hence i know what types of nursing books u need as that whats they used when they were doing their training.I am looking into Mental health Nursing at the mo but i would need to do a Access to He and get a few GCSEs first before i did apply.
Powell24
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Some universities have a book allowance so don't buy everything without checking this out first
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Powell24)
Some universities have a book allowance so don't buy everything without checking this out first
It's likely most people posting about books in this thread will have graduated by now, it's from 2011
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (284)
56.69%
I don't have everything I need (217)
43.31%

Watched Threads