The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by Northumbrianursing
im not going to uni until march so wanted to do a little background reading before starting. any good books that can be recommended?

Have you tried contacting your university to see what they recommend or if they have a reading list?

I phoned the university and left my details, receiving an email from a tutor a day later with a list of some relevant books for the start of year one.

She made a strong point about not wishing to provide an 'everything you'll need for three years' list because it could be a little overwhelming as well as expensive to procure.
Reply 2
im not going to uni until march so wanted to do a little background reading before starting. any good books that can be recommended?

Guessing by your user name your going to Northumbria :smile:
If so....

Go to this page : http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/?view=CourseDetail&code=UUFNSA1&page=modules

Click on each modular and it tells you what books and resources they use under 'INDICATIVE READING LIST OR OTHER LEARNING RESOURCES'
Original post by anon2010
Guessing by your user name your going to Northumbria :smile:
If so....

Go to this page : http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/?view=CourseDetail&code=UUFNSA1&page=modules

Click on each modular and it tells you what books and resources they use under 'INDICATIVE READING LIST OR OTHER LEARNING RESOURCES'

Reply 5

I would recommend some of the following text books Northumbrianursing some books will be more expensive costwise than others,so u need to look on websites such as amazon and especialy e-bay for seconded hand nursing books but are some of my recommendations:-
The Royal Marsden Hospital Manual of Clinical Nursing Procedures Sixth Edition (Royal Marsden Nhs Trust)
Nursing Practice: Hospital and Home -- The Adult [Paperback]
Foundations of Nursing Practice: Fundamentals of Holistic Care [Paperback]
Common Foundation Studies in Nursing [Paperback]
no student nurse cant do without this quite essential book which is

The Student Nurse Handbook: A Survival Guide [Paperback]

The rest of the books i have recommened Northumbriannursing can be quite expensive at between 20-30 pounds thats why it maybe worth you while if you could get them second hand.
If you going to be doing adult nursing i think rather the Royal Marsden book or Nursing Practive Hospital and Home will come into its own.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by wizardtop
I would recommend some of the following text books Northumbrianursing some books will be more expensive costwise than others,so u need to look on websites such as amazon and especialy e-bay for seconded hand nursing books but are some of my recommendations:-
The Royal Marsden Hospital Manual of Clinical Nursing Procedures Sixth Edition (Royal Marsden Nhs Trust)
Nursing Practice: Hospital and Home -- The Adult [Paperback]
Foundations of Nursing Practice: Fundamentals of Holistic Care [Paperback]
Common Foundation Studies in Nursing [Paperback]
no student nurse cant do without this quite essential book which is

The Student Nurse Handbook: A Survival Guide [Paperback]

The rest of the books i have recommened Northumbriannursing can be quite expensive at between 20-30 pounds thats why it maybe worth you while if you could get them second hand.
If you going to be doing adult nursing i think rather the Royal Marsden book or Nursing Practive Hospital and Home will come into its own.

thanks :smile: are you doing nursing atm, or are you a nurse?
Reply 7
thanks :smile: are you doing nursing atm, or are you a nurse?

nope i am not a nurse atm Northumbriannursing,i have friends who are nurses hence i know what types of nursing books u need as that whats they used when they were doing their training.I am looking into Mental health Nursing at the mo but i would need to do a Access to He and get a few GCSEs first before i did apply.
Reply 8
Some universities have a book allowance so don't buy everything without checking this out first
Original post by Powell24
Some universities have a book allowance so don't buy everything without checking this out first

It's likely most people posting about books in this thread will have graduated by now, it's from 2011 :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending