This discussion is closed.
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I live in a smallish outback town. Population 7,500, surrounding district included would make this 11,000. When I look around me I see problems everywhere. Problems that could be easily rectified. The most prominent of these being the number of unemployed people walking the streets, happy with the life they have. Most of whom have never had any intention of living any other way. These people I talk of get a considerable payment each fortnight deposited into their bank account for doing nothing at all. Who funds this? Who else, but the Government. They continue to do so because of certain flagrant issues. The defining issue at hand is that these people are black. *******, non-reflectives, coons, whatever you choose to call them. Aboriginal people is the correct term if you're curious, the term I choose to use for I'm in no way a racist prick. What if a law was passed to say that at the age of 19, after highschool, all those who aren't working or enrolled in further education for a period of 180 days are given a job within the military? No matter what their racial characteristics are. There is already a work for the dole scheme in place, but ways have been found around this. Ways discovered by those who truly wish to leech of the Government and indeed the humble tax payer, living the easy life. I do choose the word easy carefully, because there are families of 5-6 of whom not one member works. Yet these families manage to take a decent week long holiday/vacation each year and buy a good range of not so cheap Christmas gifts too. Is it not fair then that the tax payers money go toward something a little more constructive than paying for approximately 17% of the population to live life on the often hard earnt money of others? I've given this rather a lot of thought, and believe the military to be one of the better options to choose. Basic training would be provided, so that each and every person would be ready to take their place on the line. But they would also get paid a little more too, because they would indeed be working for their living. They could carry out a lot of the construction, administration and hopefully community work that needs to get done in Australia these days. All this and be fed for free, accomodated for free, paid pretty well, and with a degree of discipline they would maintain to a degree for life. I could go on, and probably will, but what are your thoughts people?
Sire
Rep:
?
Please read this people. I'm looking for serious input, and may even act upon this issue depending on what is said.
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
military and make them earn money
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Please read this people. I'm looking for serious input, and may even act upon this issue depending on what is said.
Could you split it up in to paragraphs?, it is a bit hard to read!
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Anyone who uses the word '******' in a post makes me laugh!
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It depends on their attitude. Some people really do want a job are are having a hard time, others are perfectly happy on the dole. If we're going to make changes we need a reliable system of distinguishing between the two, we can't just say, "Throw them all in the army!"
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
For people who can't read a huge block of text at ten to eight in the evening:

I live in a smallish outback town. Population 7,500, surrounding district included would make this 11,000. When I look around me I see problems everywhere. Problems that could be easily rectified.

The most prominent of these being the number of unemployed people walking the streets, happy with the life they have. Most of whom have never had any intention of living any other way.

These people I talk of get a considerable payment each fortnight deposited into their bank account for doing nothing at all. Who funds this? Who else, but the Government. They continue to do so because of certain flagrant issues.

The defining issue at hand is that these people are black. *******, non-reflectives, coons, whatever you choose to call them. Aboriginal people is the correct term if you're curious, the term I choose to use for I'm in no way a racist prick.

What if a law was passed to say that at the age of 19, after highschool, all those who aren't working or enrolled in further education for a period of 180 days are given a job within the military? No matter what their racial characteristics are.

There is already a work for the dole scheme in place, but ways have been found around this. Ways discovered by those who truly wish to leech of the Government and indeed the humble tax payer, living the easy life. I do choose the word easy carefully, because there are families of 5-6 of whom not one member works.

Yet these families manage to take a decent week long holiday/vacation each year and buy a good range of not so cheap Christmas gifts too. Is it not fair then that the tax payers money go toward something a little more constructive than paying for approximately 17% of the population to live life on the often hard earnt money of others? I've given this rather a lot of thought, and believe the military to be one of the better options to choose.

Basic training would be provided, so that each and every person would be ready to take their place on the line. But they would also get paid a little more too, because they would indeed be working for their living.

They could carry out a lot of the construction, administration and hopefully community work that needs to get done in Australia these days. All this and be fed for free, accomodated for free, paid pretty well, and with a degree of discipline they would maintain to a degree for life.

I could go on, and probably will, but what are your thoughts people?
DevilsDoor
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Agreed in entirety Sire, the situation is much the same in the UK, although its not just the ethnic minorities that flaunt the system its anyone that does not want to work. Im all for bringing in National Service which is basically the same as what you are suggesting, although I do feel there should be exceptions to this, for example those who are caring for sick relatives. It is far to easy to be paid for doing nothing and those that can afford to go on holiday each year whilst claiming state benefits, either scrimp on other things, or honestly dont give a **** about their families (yes I am talking from experience, being disabled myself with a family, I cant afford expensive holidays a year). Introducing some kind of system, whether it be military or some other public service may just be the answer, although I have to point out that the person per job ratio is pretty high and many people have the same qualifications, so its not always people not wanting to work, rather some do want to and have yet to find suitable employment.

Overall Sire you have my support if you wish to take any action regarding this, will be quite happy to put my name to anything you choose to do.
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
It depends on their attitude. Some people really do want a job are are having a hard time, others are perfectly happy on the dole. If we're going to make changes we need a reliable system of distinguishing between the two, we can't just say, "Throw them all in the army!"
But it is a job. Also, if we relax the conditions of entry, and possibly allow a career out of it for those who want it, as opposed to those who are for lack of a better word 'drafted', then it would work out well in both respects. There are quite a few things you can do in the military after all. I was also only intending this to be a 2 year experience, but if after a further 12 months, a person has not found another job, or enrolled for further education, then back they go. The incentive is all there for those who don't like it. Find something better, but get off the dole. For those who do like it, promotion, career etc. Win/win situation is it not? I did like your point though, please expand
Sire
Rep:
?
Sorry about that people. Thanks LH mate, but it is 06:53 in the AM over here and I've still got an hour before I've got to be somewhere and can then sleep Thanks for bearing with me
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by DevilsDoor)
Agreed in entirety Sire, the situation is much the same in the UK, although its not just the ethnic minorities that flaunt the system its anyone that does not want to work. Im all for bringing in National Service which is basically the same as what you are suggesting, although I do feel there should be exceptions to this, for example those who are caring for sick relatives. It is far to easy to be paid for doing nothing and those that can afford to go on holiday each year whilst claiming state benefits, either scrimp on other things, or honestly dont give a **** about their families (yes I am talking from experience, being disabled myself with a family, I cant afford expensive holidays a year). Introducing some kind of system, whether it be military or some other public service may just be the answer, although I have to point out that the person per job ratio is pretty high and many people have the same qualifications, so its not always people not wanting to work, rather some do want to and have yet to find suitable employment.

Overall Sire you have my support if you wish to take any action regarding this, will be quite happy to put my name to anything you choose to do.
Thanks. Though in regard to ethnic minorities, I was merely pointing out the case in my home town. The situation is quite different in other places. Nothing quite so to do with race, more just a general attitude that has circulated around the country through all its citizens.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
maybe there's other contributions to society than joining the military?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
maybe there's other contributions to society than joining the military?
In Germany national service can be done through working with the elderly, anything that promotes the idea of community and citizenship in the individual while contributing to the general society is worth considering, even if it is unpopular.
Ensocopier
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Sire, over here in London we have a similar problem, but mainly concerned with gangs of youths. I think forcing them to work in the military would be a disaster. It would breed resentment, and people would be desperate to avoid it. Instead, I see an alternative. Those unemployed people you speak of, do they have any skills? over here, theres so much focus on 'university education' that we are running out of plummers etc. These youths have no hope, they have been treated badly at school and have no motivation. I suggest each family under a certain income is paid a fixed sum a month in return for their son gaining an apprenticeship or some skill. How about that instead?
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah Sire I agree with you there dude...!
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ensocopier)
Sire, over here in London we have a similar problem, but mainly concerned with gangs of youths. I think forcing them to work in the military would be a disaster. It would breed resentment, and people would be desperate to avoid it. Instead, I see an alternative. Those unemployed people you speak of, do they have any skills? over here, theres so much focus on 'university education' that we are running out of plummers etc. These youths have no hope, they have been treated badly at school and have no motivation. I suggest each family under a certain income is paid a fixed sum a month in return for their son gaining an apprenticeship or some skill. How about that instead?
Brilliant idea, but again, this is something we have in the military over here. I thought it would be standard. I know that in the Australian Army there is training that is similar to an apprenticeship such as carpentry, mechanics etc that is recognised in the civilian world, and even sought after because of the discipline and skills taught within the Army. I love the idea Ensocopier, top stuff. Also, if people wished to escape it, there would be only three possibly avenues with any luck. a)seek further education, apprenticeship. b)find another job of some kind. c) as one member suggested, be paid to look after someone, as this too is an option of work for the dole here. But I think they get a bit more than your average work for the dole registered person.

How would you put forward the idea of paing the families a certain amount to gain an apprenticeship? That is an excellent idea.
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
In Germany national service can be done through working with the elderly, anything that promotes the idea of community and citizenship in the individual while contributing to the general society is worth considering, even if it is unpopular.
I was thinking that too. Community service can be done by the military too. It is the little things that made me think of this. Such things like traffic lights. Ok, we can't get around the fact that one car goes, then another and another and another etc. But in the army, a convoy is formed and the lead vehicle gets on the radio and asks if all are ready. Silence is a yes, otherwise someone speaks up. Then 3...2...1... go. A line of some 50 vehicles moves at once. Just things like that, and community service to the elderly is definitely possible. Perhaps a diploma in that field or something could be given.
]{ingnik
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
I was thinking that too. Community service can be done by the military too. It is the little things that made me think of this. Such things like traffic lights. Ok, we can't get around the fact that one car goes, then another and another and another etc. But in the army, a convoy is formed and the lead vehicle gets on the radio and asks if all are ready. Silence is a yes, otherwise someone speaks up. Then 3...2...1... go. A line of some 50 vehicles moves at once. Just things like that, and community service to the elderly is definitely possible. Perhaps a diploma in that field or something could be given.
any governing body who tries to pass such laws as forcing people to work in the military is going to be strongly rejected. people arent ready for such radical solutions.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I was thinking of some rather easy and menial jobs. Such as wiring up plugs. The prisions in the UK are filled by people who do things like this to supplement their own pocket money at about £3.70 per hour. That is not bad pay, and the job is trivial. Apparetly over 40% of plugs in the UK are passed through the prision system.

Give them a choice and people will choose the better option. ie work with better pay, for similar kind of jobs. More leaned towards vocational type of course.

But in the end, they are voters as well, who control power. However if it advantages these people, then they would want to work.
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by ]{ingnik)
any governing body who tries to pass such laws as forcing people to work in the military is going to be strongly rejected. people arent ready for such radical solutions.
I know *sighs* But it is just so damn perfect. And by putting it to smart people such as yourselves, flaws in the idea are spotted and ironed out. But people just won't accept sadly. Though I'm still going to flood the parliamentary system with it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads