This discussion is closed.
Sire
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
I was thinking of some rather easy and menial jobs. Such as wiring up plugs. The prisions in the UK are filled by people who do things like this to supplement their own pocket money at about £3.70 per hour. That is not bad pay, and the job is trivial. Apparetly over 40% of plugs in the UK are passed through the prision system.

Give them a choice and people will choose the better option. ie work with better pay, for similar kind of jobs. More leaned towards vocational type of course.

But in the end, they are voters as well, who control power. However if it advantages these people, then they would want to work.
Now you're cooking with gas. Ensocopier also suggested something like vocational work. Great stuff.
jammyd
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
If you stick people in the military all you get is a load of young men trained to kill. It costs a lot too.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Now you're cooking with gas. Ensocopier also suggested something like vocational work. Great stuff.
For me personally I find that I would choose wiring plugs, cleaning up rather than endure Army training.

1) You get paid.

2) It is easier.

If you reduce the payment of Social security, just a tad, but allowing the option of work for x amount of hours for themselves. They would be forced into working, to keep up their "cushy" lifestyle.

Put yourself in their shoes. You have no experience, you believe other people are against you, you have no qualifications. What do you do?
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2776)
For me personally I find that I would choose wiring plugs, cleaning up rather than endure Army training.

1) You get paid.

2) It is easier.

If you reduce the payment of Social security, just a tad, but allowing the option of work for x amount of hours for themselves. They would be forced into working, to keep up their "cushy" lifestyle.

Put yourself in their shoes. You have no experience, you believe other people are against you, you have no qualifications. What do you do?
I would thank God I had 3 options to choose from
a)further education or apprenticeship
b)find another job of some kind
c)obvious medical issues, but also caring for someone

If none of those three options are undertaken, congratulations. You're now in the military. You now get to do some basic training, and then choose from almost every profession dreamed up, and we will train you properly. 2 years service. Food free, accomodation free, pay good, and then you may leave. If you are in the civilian world for 12 months and haven't taken a,b,c again, welcome back. You're in the military. You now get to yadda yadda yadda.
curryADD
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Please read this people. I'm looking for serious input, and may even act upon this issue depending on what is said.
i know in some cities in america they give them job training and then give them work, and THEN give them money. BTW sire, how are you?
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by curryADD)
i know in some cities in america they give them job training and then give them work, and THEN give them money. BTW sire, how are you?
I'm quite good thankyou curry, and your fine self?
JSM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
still aborigines were quite ****ed up colonialists - by all those white ex cons who we shipped over there - not saying i wouldnt do it again but . . .

I agree in theory with you
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
I'm quite good thankyou curry, and your fine self?
one second: (im turning into quite the hypochondriac) my temperature is 100.1 and 100.5 (they are in diff. ears that is)
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by curryADD)
one second: (im turning into quite the hypochondriac) my temperature is 100.1 and 100.5 (they are in diff. ears that is)
Ears? God. My mother was adament about precision. Bend over son, this won't hurt a bit. I swear she put the bloody thing in ice water every time. Bloody woman.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
I would thank God I had 3 options to choose from
a)further education or apprenticeship
b)find another job of some kind
c)obvious medical issues, but also caring for someone

If none of those three options are undertaken, congratulations. You're now in the military. You now get to do some basic training, and then choose from almost every profession dreamed up, and we will train you properly. 2 years service. Food free, accomodation free, pay good, and then you may leave. If you are in the civilian world for 12 months and haven't taken a,b,c again, welcome back. You're in the military. You now get to yadda yadda yadda.
Quite a good plan. However try to ease the training and more on discpline.

More like a Emergency combat troops. So you have a sort of good standing army from the new recruits, backed by a demilitarized personnel to be used in emergency times.

So pay more on the American boot camps, where education consists quite a major part of the training.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Ears? God. My mother was adament about precision. Bend over son, this won't hurt a bit. I swear she put the bloody thing in ice water every time. Bloody woman.
we have one of those battery powered ones. you know the kind they have at the nurses that they stick in your ear, press a button, and then a second later they have a temp?
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2776)
Quite a good plan. However try to ease the training and more on discpline.

More like a Emergency combat troops. So you have a sort of good standing army from the new recruits, backed by a demilitarized personnel to be used in emergency times.

So pay more on the American boot camps, where education consists quite a major part of the training.
Thats the idea. Sort of a large extension on what Rome had and the Germany of the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Ensocopier
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Sire, why are these people unemployed in the first place: poor education, low morale, family problems? I think that the family is one of the most important factors in crime, unemployment etc. So many people start of life on the back foot. I know you are against using tax money for this type of thing, but what about a grant given to poor families, not just given away but linked to academic results, perfect criminal record etc. That would provide incentives, and would solve the underlying problem.
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ensocopier)
Sire, why are these people unemployed in the first place: poor education, low morale, family problems? I think that the family is one of the most important factors in crime, unemployment etc. So many people start of life on the back foot. I know you are against using tax money for this type of thing, but what about a grant given to poor families, not just given away but linked to academic results, perfect criminal record etc. That would provide incentives, and would solve the underlying problem.
You are quite right. I put this thread on disk and showed it to a few people. After something like 4 hours almost arguing over it in a smoke filled room, some decent results were agreed upon. The military is simply not the way to go. Basically. The Govt. must promise a job to everyone who applies. There would of course be special allowances depending on circumstances of health etc. However, other than that, there would no longer be dole pay outs. If you want money, the Govt. will give you a job or financial assistance depending on circumstances, otherwise hope that someone else will fund your life. It would have to start at one particular time and roll through from there. That way you don't have 40yr olds who have never worked, suddenly thrown into the workforce. It was agreed that this just wouldn't be fair or right.

Now to your point of a grant. Great idea, everyone should have an equal opportunity, so grants would be possible to poorer families for education and other purposes. A good side effect of this whole concept is that crime rates would be drastically reduced. Considering, that in theory, every citizen after about 20 years would be registered, and unemployment without just cause would almost be wiped out. A lot of crimes would no longer need to be carried out. Win/win situation I tells ya. Could do with a lot of refining and a hell of a lot more input, but this is almost perfect.

As I've always said. When mature people sit down, anything can be resolved for the better.
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ensocopier)
Oh and to answer the original question. I can only speak with confidence of those in my local area. But they are unemployed because that is the social norm. They honestly don't have to work, and families of these people go on a decent holiday every year, are comfortable in spending, and Christmas certainly isn't a problem. Poor education only comes into things around high school age. Roughly about the point where they realise that finishing school isn't going to happen, and the Govt. will fund 'the life'. Academic standards in my town are pretty even right up until about 8th grade. Then you see some huge variances come into focus. Sad really. This is something that really needs to be stopped, and so far the response has been good, as has been the input. I thank you all. It has helped greatly
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
We wish you godspeed in your results Mayor Rainey.
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2776)
Mayor?
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2776)
Prime Minister and nothing less. I promise not to make promises about taxes. Pauline Hanson, shall be sent to England to be locked up in the Tower of London. Vote Rainey. You know you want to.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Mayor?
Sorry. I meant Senator Rainey.

EDIT: Hmm, well it appears that you have beaten me to the spot.
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2776)
Sorry. I meant Senator Rainey.

EDIT: Hmm, well it appears that you have beaten me to the spot.
*chuckles* senator sounds good too Thanks for the vote of confidence mate
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (62)
19.38%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.06%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.44%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.88%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.56%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.06%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.75%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.5%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads