This discussion is closed.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Prime Minister and nothing less. I promise not to make promises about taxes. Pauline Hanson, shall be sent to England to be locked up in the Tower of London. Vote Rainey. You know you want to.
You will remember your mate Phil when you get elected. You know a bit of small favours and the like.
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
You will remember your mate Phil when you get elected. You know a bit of small favours and the like.
Of course. How does ownership of Palm Island sound? You'll have to kick out a few loiterers, but nobody will miss them if you make a dump in the sea. Then you will have yourself a beautiful island. It even has native horses.
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
But it is a job. Also, if we relax the conditions of entry, and possibly allow a career out of it for those who want it, as opposed to those who are for lack of a better word 'drafted', then it would work out well in both respects. There are quite a few things you can do in the military after all. I was also only intending this to be a 2 year experience, but if after a further 12 months, a person has not found another job, or enrolled for further education, then back they go. The incentive is all there for those who don't like it. Find something better, but get off the dole. For those who do like it, promotion, career etc. Win/win situation is it not? I did like your point though, please expand
I do take your point. Some people are blatantly work shy and could do with a good kick up the arse.
But could you please explain some points further (you may not have thought these through and that's fair enough). Would there be a decent amount of time you are allowed to be out of work before being drafted, say 3 months, maybe more? And you say this should be a 2 year thing, would they be able to look for another job while in the army, and if they find one, could they leave? What if there was a war, could we force people into it then?

(P.S. Please forget about minor spat. I am known to be rather argumentative.)
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
I do take your point. Some people are blatantly work shy and could do with a good kick up the arse.
But could you please explain some points further (you may not have thought these through and that's fair enough). Would there be a decent amount of time you are allowed to be out of work before being drafted, say 3 months, maybe more? And you say this should be a 2 year thing, would they be able to look for another job while in the army, and if they find one, could they leave? What if there was a war, could we force people into it then?

(P.S. Please forget about minor spat. I am known to be rather argumentative.)
Minor spat forgotten, I'm sure I was just as much at fault Uhmm read my last few posts in reply to Ensocopier by the way. The drafting to the military idea was put to a few people, and it doesn't seem to be the right answer. Read those two posts though, they tell it all. A very good alternative and it virtually eliminates unemployment, frees up Govt. funding, cuts crime rate. And it is a long term solution that is perfectly viable
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sire)
Minor spat forgotten, I'm sure I was just as much at fault
Think it may be partly due to the fact that I don't really understand this whole Bono/maskall thing. I wan't around when it ( whatever that is) as happened.

Anyway, this is quite a interesting thread, thanks!
Sire
Rep:
?
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
Think it may be partly due to the fact that I don't really understand this whole Bono/maskall thing. I wan't around when it ( whatever that is) as happened.

Anyway, this is quite a interesting thread, thanks!
Don't worry about the maskall thing. It is long dead. Thanks for the compliment on the thread. Please do read the whole thing through, and I welcome any contributions
Ensocopier
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Sire)

Now to your point of a grant. Great idea, everyone should have an equal opportunity, so grants would be possible to poorer families for education and other purposes. A good side effect of this whole concept is that crime rates would be drastically reduced. Considering, that in theory, every citizen after about 20 years would be registered, and unemployment without just cause would almost be wiped out. A lot of crimes would no longer need to be carried out. Win/win situation I tells ya. Could do with a lot of refining and a hell of a lot more input, but this is almost perfect.

As I've always said. When mature people sit down, anything can be resolved for the better.
Just thought I would bring back this thread. Would the grant be linked to achievements, because if not then it would just be like social security. So, if not, what would it be linked to? Education - is that fair, some people are not naturally intellegant. Improvement over time? - wouldn't that just lead to people undertrying before the grant to try and obtain more money? Not committing a crime - you are effectively paying people to do nothing. Without sounding to communist, shouldn't the government identify areas where there are skills shortages and then give grants to people to train in these basic skills. What about this?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (58)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (19)
21.84%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.49%

Watched Threads