The Student Room Group

Edexcel Drama and Theatre Unit 4

Scroll to see replies

Hi I am studying Lysistrata, does anybody know a way they would stage the entrance of the magistrate, I have one way but I had a practice question asking for two and I am struggling for ideas.

Thanks
Original post by csea
Do you mean they have to be taken up? Like they'll be taken to examiners or something?
And thank you so much, it's hard to find anyone who knows what's going on! haha :smile:

Yeah they take the notes up at the end and then if the examiners want to check them then they do but they might not. :smile:
Hows everyone finding section A?
I really wanna get full marks in this section but I feel this exam is so ambiguous.
What type of rehearsal techniques have people talked about?
All I keep saying is emotional memory, hightened reality, method of physical action and off text improvisation.
Does anybody have any other ideas? Because to get high marks you need a confident grasp of drama and theatre terms
Original post by Wanttobeasucess
Hows everyone finding section A?
I really wanna get full marks in this section but I feel this exam is so ambiguous.
What type of rehearsal techniques have people talked about?
All I keep saying is emotional memory, hightened reality, method of physical action and off text improvisation.
Does anybody have any other ideas? Because to get high marks you need a confident grasp of drama and theatre terms

I know what you mean ! It is quite ambigous. What is heightened reality?

Other rehearsal techniques I have would be focusing on the voice only/movement only. Also, character transfer, Brechtian ones like gest, magic if, Stanislvaski's subtext, levels, mime... it depends on the extract they give us too :smile:
I don't seem to have the best of teachers, just wondering if anyone could just briefly outline how to structure a section B answer.

We were taught before to use the simple structure of, 1) What 2) How 3) Why.

Is this a good way of going about writing the essay?
Reply 45
Hi all :smile:

I'm doing Woyzeck then Shakespeare (Hamlet), and my teacher told me I need 50/80 to secure an overall A.

Good luck everyone!
Reply 46
Original post by magicalyoghurt
Yeah they take the notes up at the end and then if the examiners want to check them then they do but they might not. :smile:

Absolute lol - my notes have got "I <3 ..." written all over them from fellow students getting bored and drawing all over my script etc.

Good luck anyhow.
Original post by ojpearson

I'm doing Woyzeck then Shakespeare (Hamlet), and my teacher told me I need 50/80 to secure an overall A.

Good luck everyone!

What did you get last year? And so far this year?

I can;t figure out what I need :frown:
Reply 48
Original post by JeffMcSheff
What did you get last year? And so far this year?

I can;t figure out what I need :frown:

Well last year I got about 90% in coursework then failed at practical, despite getting full-marks at GCSE :frown:

SO I came out with a B at AS.

This year I have 98% in all coursework (SWED, devised piece etc) so I need 60% (or thereabouts) for an A.

Do you know what you got last year + so fair this year because it's an overall 80% for an A I think :smile:
Yeah I just found out what I got last year off the school records.

I got about 98% too!

Thanks for your help. Good luck! :smile:
What rehearsal techniques have people got for section A?

And what sounds are anyone using if your doing 'Woyzeck'?

Also what quotes have people got for B + C (If your doing Woyzeck or Romeo and Juliet)
I know what you mean ! It is quite ambigous. What is heightened reality?

Other rehearsal techniques I have would be focusing on the voice only/movement only. Also, character transfer, Brechtian ones like gest, magic if, Stanislvaski's subtext, levels, mime... it depends on the extract they give us too :smile:

Hightened reality physical theatre - Like completely embodying an emotion physically - completely the opposite from being naturalistic.

So what kind of stuff can you say for voice/movement (Sorry, our teacher has pretty much told us nothing)

and what's character transfer?
:smile:
Original post by JoshCampell
What rehearsal techniques have people got for section A?

And what sounds are anyone using if your doing 'Woyzeck'?

Also what quotes have people got for B + C (If your doing Woyzeck or Romeo and Juliet)

I said some rehearsal techniques above :smile:

And what do you mean by sounds??
Why do you need to learn quotes for Romeo and Juliet?
For Woyzeck, we've got the extract in the exam?
Also, sorry to hog this thread, but how are meant to find a rehearsal techique for designers?! :/

e.g. For your actors and designer outline two possible ways of staging the enterience of Woyzeck in order to achieve maximum impact in your performance space?
Reply 54

Oooh ok, I had no idea! So like if you had a previous essay in there or something they might check and disqualify you? Would it be ok to have the marking criteria in there? Thanks for all the help, again :smile:
Hightened reality physical theatre - Like completely embodying an emotion physically - completely the opposite from being naturalistic.

So what kind of stuff can you say for voice/movement (Sorry, our teacher has pretty much told us nothing)

and what's character transfer?
:smile:

Hm for movement you could say that you would have the actors work through the scene without the script so they become more aware of how they use gestures or how their posture/gait is. So you're focusing on non verbal communication and when you return to the script they will have a renewed awareness of their movement. Obvs you need to be specific and say how they will move e.g. he will take purposeful strides or he will stay still and shrink into himself whilst the other character circles him.

Character transfer is where you would take the actors to a modern setting (or get them to imagine they are there) like a hairdressers or a shopping centre or a nightclub and get them to act as they think their characters might. I'm not sure how useful this one could be. It depends on the scene I suppose! :smile:
Original post by csea
Oooh ok, I had no idea! So like if you had a previous essay in there or something they might check and disqualify you? Would it be ok to have the marking criteria in there? Thanks for all the help, again :smile:

Aw yeah you can't have any essays in it!! We were told we could put in anything but essays cos if they find them you would be disqualified lols. Not sure about the mark scheme in? I suppose you could actually put that in :smile:
I said some rehearsal techniques above :smile:

And what do you mean by sounds??
Why do you need to learn quotes for Romeo and Juliet?
For Woyzeck, we've got the extract in the exam?

Thanks for the rehearsal techniques =)

By sounds, i got told that for the concept (B) you have to cover:
lighting
sound
costume
set

I don't know what sounds to use =/

and i meant quotes as in like what a practioner said (for woyzeck, ignore romeo and juliet) - then saying how that quote relates to your concept. That what i have seen some people made in a practice paper and my teacher said it would be good to use quotes.
Also, sorry to hog this thread, but how are meant to find a rehearsal techique for designers?! :/

e.g. For your actors and designer outline two possible ways of staging the enterience of Woyzeck in order to achieve maximum impact in your performance space?

I'm hogging it too lol :tongue: I think for designers you could talk about how the set would work. Like I don't know it could revolve or Woyzeck could enter through the audience? (I don't know if that is design though lol) Maybe you could say I would have Woyzeck enter in such a way and this would be added to by the costume, creating maximum impact :s-smilie:
But then it is rehearsal... Hmm that is a hard one. I never know how the answer that (a) question. Thankfully it is just 4 marks :tongue:
Reply 59
Original post by ojpearson

Good luck everyone!

im doing exactly the same :smile: have you annotated your script, im having trouble, any advice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending