Help from those who are doing BTEC ND in IT

Watch
nmr1991
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I didn't want to bump any of my old threads, so I make a new one as I am doing the new course in Information Technology (BTEC Extended Diploma in IT from 2010) or you can check the link in my signature.

To anyone who is doing the same course as me could potentially help me in some parts such as Unit 21 - Data Analysis and Design.

The other unit, 21 is much more daunting as it asks me to explain and create a logical data model, my knowledge of databases is very limited and whether or not you are doing this course, you can still help if you have any knowledge at all about data models and databases.

Hope to get much of Unit 21 as possible done by the end of Easter.
Kenny_uk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nmr1991)
I didn't want to bump any of my old threads, so I make a new one as I am doing the new course in Information Technology (BTEC Extended Diploma in IT from 2010) or you can check the link in my signature.

To anyone who is doing the same course as me could potentially help me in some parts such as Unit 21 - Data Analysis and Design.

The other unit, 21 is much more daunting as it asks me to explain and create a logical data model, my knowledge of databases is very limited and whether or not you are doing this course, you can still help if you have any knowledge at all about data models and databases.

Hope to get much of Unit 21 as possible done by the end of Easter.
Haven't you covered any of this in class? LDM's include Entity Relationship Diagrams and Normalisation tables.
MikeeyMon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I remember being fluent using the MS SQL syntax and structuring SQL DB's, although when it comes to an actual design and creation of a database, using normalisation etc. It all goes a bit confusing for me. But Databases can be fun indeed.

Can you list the specific criteria you need help with?
nmr1991
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
This is the unit I am stuck on and havent completed a single task:
Unit 21 - Data Analysis and Design

Where on Assignment 1 it asks me to complete P1, P2, P3 and M1.

You can scroll down on the pdf and look for the criteria, and you can help me what I must do to achieve these.

All the other units are under control and are much, much easier than this unit. This has got to be the hardest unit ever.

Note: I have very limited knowledge of databases and I have looked everywhere (google, youtube) for help on logical data models and stuff.
MikeeyMon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
P1 - Explain Relational databases, Why do we need them? Also explain Flat File systems. Why are they poor and disadvantaged over Relational databases? Maybe a brief history on there on Flat File Systems. Codd invented the first type of storage database etc.

P2 - Im unsure on what it means by modelling methods? But things like model diagrams such as Entity Relational Diagrams come to mind. The N:N (One to One) M:N (Many to Many) (1:M) 1 to many etc.

P3 - I suppose this is similar to P3. Maybe merge these together?

M1 - Why do people use diagrams for modelling? Explain the benefits of normalisation also, why do we use it? Why shouldn't we use it? etc.

Hope I helped you pal. I'm not much help with the ER diagrams but It's things like, many customers are making many transactions. This can make customers buy multiple things at the same time causing duplication of data. So normalisation is there to make specific ID's for transactions with a Transaction table etc.
LAnre.9
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
does anyone know about unit 21 data analysis and design
LAnre.9
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
unit 21 data analysis and design m1
Naazim J
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by LAnre.9)
does anyone know about unit 21 data analysis and design
yes I do
what task do you need help on?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (39)
17.89%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (62)
28.44%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (83)
38.07%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13.3%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.29%

Watched Threads