This discussion is closed.
rutera
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Which unis do headhunters go to and which courses are they most likely to poach students from?
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by rutera)
Which unis do headhunters go to and which courses are they most likely to poach students from?

the usual lot for sure........oxbridge, nottingham, bristol, warwick, lse, ucl, imperial......etc etc
which course? depends what they're looking for.....i mean, i'm sure economists will be very highly sought for.......
emma_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
They go to most universities. I'm sure they even go to what one might call 'bad' unis.
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emma_)
They go to most universities. I'm sure they even go to what one might call 'bad' unis.

yeah they claim they go to the 'bad' unis.......but i'm sure its still nothing compared to the top unis?! hmmm.......
rutera
Rep:
?
I see where you're going... I'm sure headhunters go to so-called bad unis, but then they'll only look at students getting first honors, and lots of work experience whereas with 'better unis' lower degrees and so on are accepted... let's put it like this... how would you go about choosing the right uni and course to make damn sure a headhunter will offer you a job by the end of it?
Vitriol
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yeah, just what I was thinking. They don't headhunt undergrads at uni, except in very rare circumstances.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
yes gone are those days uni degrees are very common now.
Vitriol
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
yes gone are those days uni degrees are very common now.
Blame Maggie.
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by rutera)
PriceWaterhouseCoopers were at a recruitment event at Nottingham Trent, not necessarily a "bad" Uni, its thought to be one of the better improving former Polys. Entrance grades are going up year by year. (so ive read). Even the top companies realise its not always the Uni that makes the degree superior, some top people just choose to stay nearer to home.

A friend of mine who got 4 A's at A level last yr didn't even look at "Russell Group" Unis / redbricks. She wanted to be near to the top ability wise for her subject, not just one of the norm at a Uni with more stringent entrance grades. I personally don't think its the way to go, if anything indicating an inferiority complex but hey, i digress!
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Ladyluck)
PriceWaterhouseCoopers were at a recruitment event at Nottingham Trent, not necessarily a "bad" Uni, its thought to be one of the better improving former Polys. Entrance grades are going up year by year. (so ive read). Even the top companies realise its not always the Uni that makes the degree superior, some top people just choose to stay nearer to home.

A friend of mine who got 4 A's at A level last yr didn't even look at "Russell Group" Unis / redbricks. She wanted to be near to the top ability wise for her subject, not just one of the norm at a Uni with more stringent entrance grades. I personally don't think its the way to go, if anything indicating an inferiority complex but hey, i digress!

All sounds nice, but it's not really true. If you look the Times top 100 employers, theytend to visit about 20 odd universities a year, aside from exceptions they're all looking at the same/similar 20 odd places. This is actually in the book itself, unless they've changed it now.

As for your friend, big mistake, unless she's not too bothered about her education or isn't to keen on a challenge. If people want to be close to home, they can attend the local university rather than the local ex poly.
Petrozzi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
All sounds nice, but it's not really true. If you look the Times top 100 employers, theytend to visit about 20 odd universities a year, aside from exceptions they're all looking at the same/similar 20 odd places. This is actually in the book itself, unless they've changed it now.

As for your friend, big mistake, unless she's not too bothered about her education or isn't to keen on a challenge. If people want to be close to home, they can attend the local university rather than the local ex poly.
Have to agree with J.S. on this one, the research I've done for myself about graduate schemes at the top employers seems to correlate with his. The University choice issue is a nobrainer.
rutera
Rep:
?
Thanks y'all, really appreciate it. Of course I didn't expect that simply getting into a good course and a good uni would mean a good job would just fall on your lap, but any experience about this sorta thing is useful. you see i really want to be able to stay in the UK, or at least in europe after i study coz my country's in a bit of mess right now and job prospects aren't looking good. The whole headhunter thing is just coz it's usually headhunters who sort out people's papers, if a foreigner applies to many job posts and the employer finds out they are non-EU then sometimes they won't bother with that person coz doing his/her papers is a bit bothersome. Do you know any overseas student who was able to stay legally in the UK when applying for jobs after uni?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads