The Student Room Group

Help me integrate sin^2(2x)cosx

Basically the above question please. I cant figure it out, i dont knwo if its a simple integration or much more complicated.

(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ramin Gorji
Basically the above question please. I cant figure it out, i dont knwo if its a simple integration or much more complicated.

It's simple. Use a substitution of u=sin(2x)u=\sin (2x) if you can't do it by inspection.
Reply 2
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
It's simple. Use a substitution of u=sin(2x)u=\sin (2x) if you can't do it by inspection.

oops sorry i meant sin^2(2x)cosx
Reply 3
if you differntiate sin^3(2x) you get y=3*2sin^2(2x)*cos(2x)=6sin^2(2x)cos(2x)

so when you integrate sin^2(2x)cos(2x), you get (sin^3(2x)/6
Original post by Ramin Gorji
oops sorry i meant sin^2(2x)cosx

That complicates things. There are two ways that jump out at me immediately (although it is late, so forgive me if there is a quicker way):

1) Note that sin2(2x)=12[1cos(4x)]\sin ^2(2x) = \dfrac{1}{2}[1-\cos (4x)] so our integrand is now 12cosx12cos4xcosx\dfrac{1}{2}\cos x - \dfrac{1}{2}\cos 4x \cos x. Then note that cos4xcosx=12[cos(4x+x)+cos(4xx)]\cos 4x \cos x = \frac{1}{2}[\cos (4x + x) +\cos (4x - x)].

2) Note that sin2(2x)cosx=4(1cos2x)cos3x\sin ^2(2x) \cos x = 4(1-\cos ^2x) \cos ^3x and expand everything out. The only "difficulty" then is to integrate cos^5x, but that just involves noting that cos5x=(1sin2x)2cosxcos ^5x = (1-\sin ^2x)^2 \cos x and using a substitution of u=sinxu=\sin x.
Original post by fidan134
if you meant sin^2(2x )cos(x), then use your double angle formula
so you get: 2sin(x)cos^2(x).

That's not right.
Reply 6
That complicates things. There are two ways that jump out at me immediately (although it is late, so forgive me if there is a quicker way):

1) Note that sin2(2x)=12[1cos(4x)]\sin ^2(2x) = \dfrac{1}{2}[1-\cos (4x)] so our integrand is now 12cosx12cos4xcosx\dfrac{1}{2}\cos x - \dfrac{1}{2}\cos 4x \cos x. Then note that cos4xcosx=12[cos(4x+x)+cos(4xx)]\cos 4x \cos x = \frac{1}{2}[\cos (4x + x) +\cos (4x - x)].

2) Note that sin2(2x)cosx=4(1cos2x)cos3x\sin ^2(2x) \cos x = 4(1-\cos ^2x) \cos ^3x and expand everything out. The only "difficulty" then is to integrate cos^5x, but that just involves noting that cos5x=(1sin2x)2cosxcos ^5x = (1-\sin ^2x)^2 \cos x and using a substitution of u=sinxu=\sin x.

Thanks for the help :biggrin: , i preferred your first method seemed a little quicker to do :P
Reply 7
Just realised however much I like my method it was wrong, damn 3am :emo:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by skipp
This is a nice little technique for integrating any equation of the form sin^n(x)cos(x), it can easily be adapted for equations of the form cos^n(x)sin(x):

Using sin^2(x) as our example we can integrate this in the following way:
Unparseable latex formula:

\int sin^2\(x\ cos\(x \ dx

(A)

[br]u=sin(x)[br]u=sin(x) (B)

differentiate:

[br]du/dx=cos(x)[br][br]du/dx = cos(x)[br]
rearrange (bad habit here, but it works for this):
[br]du=cos(x)dx[br]du = cos(x) dx (C)

we can see that this is part of our original equation, so substituting B & C into A gives:
[br][br]u2 du[br][br][br][br]\int u^2\ du[br][br]

which you should be able to do easily :smile: as you can see this method can easily be adapted for any power of sin (x), or for multiple powers of cos(x)with a single sin(x) so it's nice to get a good grip on it, you should also be able to see how to apply this to your own question

His integral isn't of that form, is it? So it doesn't really apply here. :p:

Nonetheless, thumbs up for a good explanation. :wink:
Reply 9
His integral isn't of that form, is it? So it doesn't really apply here. :p:

Nonetheless, thumbs up for a good explanation. :wink:

Quickly went back and got rid of my post :colondollar: but not quickly enough it seems
Original post by skipp
Quickly went back and got rid of my post :colondollar: but not quickly enough it seems

Haha, I suppose it's a bit too late for maths anyway; my bed is definitely calling right now. :yawn:
Reply 11
Haha, I suppose it's a bit too late for maths anyway; my bed is definitely calling right now. :yawn:

Mine too :yawn: night farhan :wavey: hope all this helps OP, despite my tangent
Original post by skipp
Mine too :yawn: night farhan :wavey: hope all this helps OP, despite my tangent

G'night skipp. :smile:
Reply 13

Can you keep going with method #2? I'd love to see it...
Original post by slevydc

Do you seriously expect this user to resurrect their working after a gap of nine years?
Original post by slevydc

Original post by old_engineer
Do you seriously expect this user to resurrect their working after a gap of nine years?

Here's something "in the spirit of" method 2 but slightly shorter:

Motivation: it's "easy" to find sinnxcosxdx\int \sin^n x \cos x \,dx (*) by the substitution u = sin x (or by recognition).

With this in mind, we go:

sin2(2x)cosxdx=4sin2xcos2xcosxdx\int \sin^2 (2x) \cos x \,dx = 4 \int \sin^2 x \cos^2 x \cos x \,dx

=4sin2(1sin2x)cosxdx=4sin2xcosxsin4xcosxdx= 4 \int \sin^2(1-\sin^2 x) \cos x \,dx = 4 \int \sin^2 x \cos x - \sin^4 x \cos x\, dx

Now both terms are of the form (*), so you can either write down the integral if familiar enough with the pattern, or use the substitution u = sin x to finish.

If you really want to complete method 2, it will be a very similar argument.

Quick Reply

Latest