This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Just got an email informing me I have a job interview on Monday, the job is for a part time (1 day a week) CSS web programmer for 2 months but the pay is £8 an hour!

I've got to learn CSS over the weekend but I've done it before years ago. The company is also owned by my university (a look in the email head revealed salford.ac.uk) and the building is on campus.

Anyway I just wondered if anybody has any tips for coming across well in the interview. I will wear a formal jacket and tie. I guess I just need to act very confident. I really want this job because it will actualy benifet my studying rather than hinder it.

The only thing I am worrying about is all them computer science, people from my course and Manchester students applying.

I guess I just need to believe I am the best and show them the interview why need to employ without being cocky.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Just got an email informing me I have a job interview on Monday, the job is for a part time (1 day a week) CSS web programmer for 2 months but the pay is £8 an hour!

I've got to learn CSS over the weekend but I've done it before years ago. The company is also owned by my university (a look in the email head revealed salford.ac.uk) and the building is on campus.

Anyway I just wondered if anybody has any tips for coming across well in the interview. I will wear a formal jacket and tie. I guess I just need to act very confident. I really want this job because it will actualy benifet my studying rather than hinder it.

The only thing I am worrying about is all them computer science, people from my course and Manchester students applying.

I guess I just need to believe I am the best and show them the interview why need to employ without being cocky.
Think about interview questions before you go in
why you want the job
what you can offer etc etc
Make a list of your achievements and memorise them so you are not stuck for words when you get in there
Dress smart but make sure its something you feel confident and comfortable in at the same time it always helps me
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Sit straight. Be confident. Shake hands. Smile. Try and get away from any geeky nerd programmer persona which the rest of the candidates will probably bring along. I dunno if it counts for such a job, but read newspapers etc so you can sound intelligent and informed. Don't go in there with lots of things, have empty pockets, and just have a leather or nice plastic wallet or something with you, with some of your important things in, have a pen with you, have a question ready to ask them. I suppose they'd like to see somebody with a genuine interest in what they're doing as opposed to someone with an enthusiasm for web development.

The most important thing I was taught about interviewing is linkage. That is, taking what is given to you, and producing an excellent, considered and effective response which gives alot of opportunity for discussion, which is of interest to them.
loftx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I just got turned down for a simliar part time job 20 hours a month, £7 an hour for ASP and javascript programming.

After careful consideration, we feel your skills do not suit our needs at this time.

:mad:
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by loftx)
I just got turned down for a simliar part time job 20 hours a month, £7 an hour for ASP and javascript programming.

After careful consideration, we feel your skills do not suit our needs at this time.

:mad:
Thats cheered me up thanks! :mad: But realisticaly I doubt I get this job, your ASP skills are as good as anybody's so if you couldn't get the job not many can. I guess it was just bad luck. Maybe the interview was a fake as they already had a person for the job.
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Thats cheered me up thanks! :mad: But realisticaly I doubt I get this job, your ASP skills are as good as anybody's so if you couldn't get the job not many can. I guess it was just bad luck. Maybe the interview was a fake as they already had a person for the job.
I'm not sure where I went wrong, the job description sounded ideal to me. I had to submit a CV and cover letter, which I've never done before so maybe that let me down.
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
I'm not sure where I went wrong, the job description sounded ideal to me. I had to submit a CV and cover letter, which I've never done before so maybe that let me down.
Oh and I suppose i also have no formal qualifications - Its all experiance which may not look so good.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
good on ya! that'll show stupid Maplin
AT82
Rep:
?
Loftx - Yeah that might have been why, this job I am applying for just said you need A level computing or somthing at a similar level.

(Original post by Tinykates)
good on ya! that'll show stupid Maplin
Hehe well I tried to get back at maplin running my own electronics company but the profit I am making from that equates to about 90p a week so I am packing that in! This job is only for a month but its still £200 extra in my bank and some very good experience.
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
hooray, i knwo been looknig. athe best advice i can offer, shoudl you want it, would be to be aware of your body language, it can often make all the difference. be open and semi-relaxed, but not slobbish. talk with a moderate tone, and modulate your voice (it'll maek ti more enticing) meh!

good luck to you, let us know how you egt on!
Vienna
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
so many people apply that the chances of you getting the job are slim before you even do the interview.
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by vienna95)
so many people apply that the chances of you getting the job are slim before you even do the interview.
How is anybody supposed to get a job then these days? :rolleyes:
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
How is anybody supposed to get a job then these days? :rolleyes:
The answer is probably, with difficulty.

Good luck amazingtrade, personally I wouldn't regard CSS as 'web programming', but 'web design'. CSS is actually fairly trivial anyhow, I'm sure you can relearn it in an hour or so.

Alaric.
Moog
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Now that you've all written him off i'll give him a few words of encouragement. Think about the kind of questions they'll ask you and how you'll answer them. Dress smartly and try to relax. If you don't get it just look on the plus side, at least you have some more interview experience and will be better prepared for interviews in the future.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads