This discussion is closed.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Are they? Big Brother - European. Changing Rooms - British. The office - British. These are usually cited as the most successful shows in the world. The only top notch show the US lays claims to is Friends. Everybody knows what a generic template for crap friends is, and this is the downfall of american broadcasting.
How about The Simpsons or South Park, perhaps the X-Files or ER aswell?
Dickie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Are they? Big Brother - European. Changing Rooms - British. The office - British. These are usually cited as the most successful shows in the world. The only top notch show the US lays claims to is Friends. Everybody knows what a generic template for crap friends is, and this is the downfall of american broadcasting.
There are some good american shows - eg 24 and Band of Brothers, but there are more equally good british shows.

You've got to remember, any American shows shown in Britain have previously been successful in america, and so we only see the cream of the crop, because bad shows would have been unpopular in America and so would not be exported.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Agreed, she does like it but she aint and never has been part of the game. For that reason she shouldnt present it.

The camera angles are pitifal. Skys coverage of Superleague is light years apart from BBC's atempt in the Challenge cup. Its dreadful.
The BBC head of sport tonight announced in an interview on Radio Mersey that he was planning "major changes" in the way that the BBC presented Rugby League. He said that there would be an announcement some time soon but did not elaborate on his points.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
How about The Simpsons or South Park, perhaps the X-Files or ER aswell?
These don't quite make it to those big name shows though. I can see they have created alot of popular viewing. But I still maintain that for every Simpsons, there's a 1000 "The PJs" and for every X Files, there's a million Montel Williams.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You contradict yourself with style.
Cheers!
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The BBC head of sport tonight announced in an interview on Radio Mersey that he was planning "major changes" in the way that the BBC presented Rugby League. He said that there would be an announcement some time soon but did not elaborate on his points.
Only about 6 years to late....

I bet they copy off sky. Typical.

I'm intrigued to what they will do...
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
WTF? And changing rooms is quality entertainment? Lol
Changing rooms / changing rooms spin off = change the channel!
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You may not like it, I hate it, but it's one of the most popular shows in the world. Was considered to be one of the most successful shows ever.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Changing rooms / changing rooms spin off = change the channel!
Thats why they are ''innovative''.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
That highlights a good example. The BBC invent some quality programming like changing rooms, and the competitive sky channels make a million spin offs, all piss poor.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
That highlights a good example. The BBC invent some quality programming like changing rooms, and the competitive sky channels make a million spin offs, all piss poor.
Er, the only spin offs I've seen have been produced by the BBC. They are repeated many times on the BBC's many crap digital channels like ''Uk Style''.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Quality is not the right word.

Addictive to girls maybe, not to boys though.
jammyd
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I propose that the licence fee be scrapped or dramatically reduced for the following reasons:

It is archaic, when it was introduced the BBC was the only broadcaster and thus anyone who was watching T.V. had to be watching the BBC.

Now we have hundreds of possible channels to watch offered by many different providers, many people dont watch the BBC at all and thus are paying for something that they do not require.

In light of the above many people would be happy to adjust their sets so they could not recieve the BBC if it were legal / possible.

There is institutional bias in the BBC, look at some of the recent political scandal, also look at the way some communities or sections of society are either belittled or totally ignored, one example of this is their shoody treatment of the working class backgrounds from various parts of Yorkshire and Lancashire.

The BBC is not accountable to anyone thus most of the time can do what it wants with no or little conseuqnce.

The amount of money spent on various programmes is disproportionate to the amount of people watching / listening to them. Many of the digital channels have been a complete waste of time and in one programme that revolved around competitors playing video games through their tv remote it would have been cheaper to send each viewer their own console. They also seem to spend most money per viewer on the Six Nations Rugby Union where they payed something like £86 million for the tv rights - totally stupid if you ask me and not in the interests of the licence fee payer.

Anyone else think of any good reasons that this needs restructuring?
Who would pay for the BBC then?
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
Who would pay for the BBC then?
Not me.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Not me.
If the fee went, how would it be paid for?
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Er, the only spin offs I've seen have been produced by the BBC. They are repeated many times on the BBC's many crap digital channels like ''Uk Style''.
No, it was repeated by every major television broadcaster in every country in the world. Alot like big brother.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Quality is not the right word.

Addictive to girls maybe, not to boys though.
Ah yes, so sorry, I forgot that quality meant "in the taste of Joey_Johns" now.
Dickie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
UK Style isnt the BBC's channel.

Amazingly, all the channels with "BBC" in the name are theirs, eg "BBC 3", "BBC News 24" etc
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
If the fee went, how would it be paid for?
I'd rather it was just scrapped. Problem solved. Its shithouse.

All the quality programming can move to other channels. The rest like the news can be totally scrapped, there are enough FREE news channels already.
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'd rather it was just scrapped. Problem solved. Its shithouse.

All the quality programming can move to other channels. The rest like the news can be totally scrapped, there are enough FREE news channels already.
What do you want to be scrapped?

What channels can programmes move to?

There are no free news channels.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.92%
Uncertainty around my education (379)
14.8%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (283)
11.05%
Lack of purpose or motivation (361)
14.1%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (119)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.05%
Loneliness (218)
8.51%
Financial worries (94)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (224)
8.75%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.41%

Watched Threads