This discussion is closed.
fishpaste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Sky also has CNN and many other news channels not run by Murdoch.
And these have their own ties. Are you aware that every major news broadcaster in the US has ties to a political party?
jammyd
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yeah. I wonder who'd win that.
You wouldn't.
Dickie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
With respect, BBC cant do sport to save their lives. Sky on the other hand...

A lot of the documentaries on BBC are aired on Discovery and the History channel first. Seen as I guess you dont have sjy due to you hating it so much, you wouldnt know that.
I do actually have Sky, and think that it is good. I just think that the license fee for the BBC shouldnt be scrapped, because I also think the BBC is good, because of the value for money (radio, TV and internet). They complement each other well.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
It's more about what they don't say than what they do say. Sky news is much tamer than fox news, comparatively.
And? When was the last time fox news was on BBC? Its probably on sky though, so i'll take your advice next time so I can hear some really graphic details on how an election campaign is going.

Tame you say? Grrr.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Dickie)
I do actually have Sky, and think that it is good. I just think that the license fee for the BBC shouldnt be scrapped, because I also think the BBC is good. They complement each other well.
You're right, they do, I like having my unique BBC channels, and I like having 900 other channels devoted to running something which I've seen before but do enjoy anyway. It's a good balance we have.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
And? When was the last time fox news was on BBC? Its probably on sky though, so i'll take your advice next time so I can hear some really graphic details on how an election campaign is going.

Tame you say? Grrr.
Fox news is what we'd have if the BBC wasn't funded and upheld to strict criteria of public good provision.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Tame you say? Grrr.
when did you change sides? at the beginning of this thread you were anti-BBC, now your pro?
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I do actually have Sky, and think that it is good. I just think that the license fee for the BBC shouldnt be scrapped, because I also think the BBC is good, because of the value for money (radio, TV and internet). They complement each other well.
Yes they do but thats why everything should be pay per view. You pay for what you want to watch, not DIY shagging at prime time.
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You're right, they do, I like having my unique BBC channels, and I like having 900 other channels devoted to running something which I've seen before but do enjoy anyway. It's a good balance we have.
are you being sarcastic?

I have to admit, although there are some good channels (UKTV, sky one, discovery etc), there are loads of **** channels on there too (eg the shopping channels)
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
when did you change sides? at the beginning of this thread you were anti-BBC, now your pro?

I didnt. I was taking the piss.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Fox news is what we'd have if the BBC wasn't funded and upheld to strict criteria of public good provision.
I'm ok a bout that. Its free.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
are you being sarcastic?

I have to admit, although there are some good channels (UKTV, sky one, discovery etc), there are loads of **** channels on there too (eg the shopping channels)
No I'm being genuine. That's a problem I have alot, people are never convinced I'm capable of agreeing.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I didnt. I was taking the piss.
taking the piss now or then?

its just i haven;t read this thread for a while and you had changed your views.
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yes they do but thats why everything should be pay per view. You pay for what you want to watch, not DIY shagging at prime time.
NO! the BBC should NOT be ppv, because you get far more than TV for your money. Like i've said, they dont have to return a profit, and so can do riskier things in new mediums like the internet. As a quick proof, compare the sky site (http://www.sky.com/) with the BBC site (http://www.bbc.co.uk/). The BBC site has more on it, because it can afford to take risks expanding.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I'm ok a bout that. Its free.
I don't mind fox news AND bbc news. I just don't want to lose BBC news.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
are you being sarcastic?

I'm not debating there are **** channels on sky. There are but most of them like the shopping channels are free so its no skin off my nose.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
NO! the BBC should NOT be ppv, because you get far more than TV for your money. Like i've said, they dont have to return a profit, and so can do riskier things in new mediums like the internet. As a quick proof, compare the sky site (http://www.sky.com/) with the BBC site (http://www.bbc.co.uk/). The BBC site has more on it, because it can afford to take risks expanding.
Er, there are a million and one websites out there. I'd rather not pay for one good one when there are many other good ones which are free.
Dickie
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Er, there are a million and one websites out there. I'd rather not pay for one good one when there are many other good ones which are free.
but the BBC site is one *really* good one. In fact, it is better than any other website I have seen.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
taking the piss now or then?

its just i haven;t read this thread for a while and you had changed your views.
Trust me I havent changed my view at any point. I was taking the piss now. It should be scrapped and made pay per view or made like ITV.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Trust me I havent changed my view at any point. I was taking the piss now. It should be scrapped and made pay per view or made like ITV.
hey, i trust you, i wasn;t trying to argue with you, i was just asking because i have come back to this thread after an hour and it has grown ia few pages, so i couldnt be bothered reading through it all
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (66)
19.13%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.78%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.93%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.87%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.19%
Taster lectures or seminars (72)
20.87%
Speak to current students studying my course (80)
23.19%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
3.77%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.48%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.32%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.74%

Watched Threads