is love real or just a figment of our imagination?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
I dunno, it's amazing what the brain can actually do....
Ultimately, love has to be down to the brain, since we create our own realities. We just don't know what love is (please don't burst into a song!)
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
Ultimately, love has to be down to the brain, since we create our own realities. We just don't know what love is (please don't burst into a song!)

Awww rats...
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Awww rats...
Okay, one verse.
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by El_Borish)
theres no denying that love is just a chemical series to make us reproduce, but htat doesnt mater.

its the value we assign to it thats importnant
i read some report done by some academics and infact their research showed that being in love releases chemicals in the brain which gives a very similar effect to being on hard drugs.
lumpycustard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by lushes)
i think no1 nos wat love is they just think they do!
me n my bf no what love is
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Love is a lie...its a deceiver!
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by lumpycustard)
me n my bf no what love is
thats what love tries to make you believe! But you really dont...oh im such a witch!
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
thats what love tries to make you believe! But you really dont...oh im such a witch!
*sobs frantically* nooo1 thats mean! ur mean! booohoo

got a donut?
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
Love definitly exists. I feel it anyway. I know who else definilty feels it... the Prairie vole, it forms a life long bond at its first sexual encounter and 80% remain completly faithful for the rest of their lives.... I wish women were like that, maybe its just cause i'm not so pretty
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
*sobs frantically* nooo1 thats mean! ur mean! booohoo

got a donut?
I got a doughnut, wana trade for an iced bun?
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I also agree that love is a series of chemical reactions. The fact that we think that love is more than that is also part of our brain's functioning.
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by vavavoom)
I also agree that love is a series of chemical reactions. The fact that we think that love is more than that is also part of our brain's functioning.
You can say that about everything. But the thing is, is that Love is something that is special... its individual and sacred, it is not somethig that you can apply a thoery to... in the same way that our soul/spirit makes us who we are.... if we dont have love then what do we have?.... money? pathetic, i would choose true love anyday
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Matt the cat)
I got a doughnut, wana trade for an iced bun?
mmm go on then! since you wont leave me alone about it
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
mmm go on then! since you wont leave me alone about it
OOOoOh thank you everso much

*hoping that there is a cherry on top*
Julia O.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by vavavoom)
even if that's the case, which it probably is, i dont exactly mind. if we're programmed that way, programmed to enjoy it, etc, it works well and we can leave it at that. we cant very well change the way our brain works
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Matt the cat)
OOOoOh thank you everso much

*hoping that there is a cherry on top*
two cherrys!!!!!!! bet u love me now eh?
jealousflesh
Report 17 years ago
Lushes,

It depends on what you define as "real".

For example:
Is the "air" we breathe real or just a figment of our imagination?

The question you've asked is rich in depth and meaning, yet your answer is bland and empty. You strike me as someone in seek of something!
Spc_K
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
well, i think therefor i am... taking the view that we make up everything, i'm happy to counclude it's as real as anything else in the world, which with that view is not at all, or totally, depending on how you accept that argument, (and i see it as both)
Somethings seem very real, and love is as real as any on those seemingly real things. We feel something and we have assigned it a name, although no one feels the same love, all slightly different, we have all defined it as something and therefore it must exist.

I do actually believe in love at first sight, but it's rarely possible, and it's even less often that the situation is such that it can be acknowledged. Fortunatley it's one of those moments that's quite unreal and almost a figmant of your imagination (as much as anything), it's just lust turning suddenly to a feeling that you recognise as love. It's easy to miss it.
I can't stand hearing this whole premeditated idea of when you love some one "ooh no this many days/week/months/years" but if they've defined love as such then that's the way it is for them, untill they realise differently.

Love is also a *******/*****, very close to hate and in my opinion the best reason for not dying. (which is not to say that one should die without it there's always music, friends, tea and cats and bacon, yes bacon, and coffee...)
snow_white
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Interesting.
but love is real and true and is present everywhere we look.
the love of a mother for her child, a young boy for soccer, a friend and a friend, a man and a woman, a grandfather and his granddaughter, a kid and his dog. anyway you put it love is real. not just the invented love to reproduce, but love of everykind, it's everywhere we look, we can see it in the smallest detail. love actually IS all around.(hasn't anyone seen that movie yet?) but seriously i know love is real i cannot describe it or explain it or research it or capture it somehow, love is like the wind you cant see it but you can see it's affect. love is invisible but looking at people you can see thier love. i know that the reason i live, breath, think and feel, the reason i rise everymorning with the sun is because of my love for my partner simon, my love for family and friends, my love for a warm spring shower, my love for apple juice, for pizza, for my crazy cat, my love of going for a walk in the world and seeing all the beautiful and terrifying things it had to offer.
believe me, love is no invention. i love in so many ways and there is no way that that is not real.
Tnacilppa
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Love is something we tell ourselves is real to make ourselves happier. I don't think it is real no. But it takes on a certain reality once we have convinced ourselves we are in love. For example, one cannot deny the reality of the love of two 16 year olds in their first relationship. It isn't love but they think it is so to all extents and purposes it is love.

I think the only kind of love which can really make relationships work is a platonic love. Love based on the entirity of the other person (not some romantic ideal.)

It doesn't matter that love is an illusion because for the people in love the illusion is so good they don't know otherwise. Again though there are huge psychological issues involved. One can be dependant on someone (feels like love) one can admire someone (feels like love) one can be attracted to someone (feels like love).

To be honest I don't believe in love. I thought I was in love but then it gradually dawned on me that I wasn't and I ended a relationship after 16 months and didn't really feel any regret/sadness.

That's my opinion anyway.

Adam
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (62)
19.38%
Virtual accommodation tour (45)
14.06%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (16)
5%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.94%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.44%
Taster lectures or seminars (70)
21.88%
Speak to current students studying my course (69)
21.56%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
4.06%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.75%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.5%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (5)
1.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.88%

Watched Threads