is love real or just a figment of our imagination?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
JFN
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well, Sigmund Freud was greatly skeptical about love between man and woman. As you probably know, the Austrian quack believed that 'love' was just a term to mask the "hidden sexual desires" that two people indulge in without having to face recrimination from society. A load of crap, if you ask me.

He nevertheless does mention that love between mother and child is possible, but ruins it when he expounds on the Oedipal fantasies of the child. Charlatan.
jealousflesh
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
Spc K’s thoughts make interesting reading indeed, however I was satisfyingly taken aback by Snow White's reasoning behind her answer as this typically demonstrates the richness in depth and meaning I was referring to. The most complete answer yet. Fantastic!
suspicious_fish
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
"Love is something we tell ourselves is real to make ourselves happier. I don't think it is real no. But it takes on a certain reality once we have convinced ourselves we are in love. For example, one cannot deny the reality of the love of two 16 year olds in their first relationship. It isn't love but they think it is so to all extents and purposes it is love."
I absolutely and totally disagree. No-one can say that the love of 2 16 years olds isn't love - what does age have to do with it? Emotional maturity is all that limits our capacity to love. Through a long series of events I matured emotionally at a rather young age (and I don't mean for that to sound like a brag, it's not something I'm proud of or grateful for) and I fell in love with my best friend when I was only 13. Our love lasted for almost 3 years (though our relationship lasted a year and 8 months) and no-one in the world can tell me that what I felt wasn't love.
I couldn't define love at all, but I will fight to the death for its existence. Actually, on second thoughts, perhaps I wouldn't; I never used to believe in love until I fell in it, so maybe it's pointless trying to convince someone who hasn't experienced love. I think it's quite likely that if someone is convinced that love doesn't exist that they will (subconsciously) prevent themselves from falling into it (though that wasn't true with me). Whether or not love is anything more than a bunch of firing synapses and chemical reactions is a moot point; tell any pershon who is in loved that it doesn't exist and see what they say. Just because you haven't felt it that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it just doesn't exist for you.

N.B. Please would someone tell me how to quote properly? Cheers.
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by suspicious_fish)
"Love is something we tell ourselves is real to make ourselves happier. I don't think it is real no. But it takes on a certain reality once we have convinced ourselves we are in love. For example, one cannot deny the reality of the love of two 16 year olds in their first relationship. It isn't love but they think it is so to all extents and purposes it is love."
I absolutely and totally disagree. No-one can say that the love of 2 16 years olds isn't love - what does age have to do with it? Emotional maturity is all that limits our capacity to love. Through a long series of events I matured emotionally at a rather young age (and I don't mean for that to sound like a brag, it's not something I'm proud of or grateful for) and I fell in love with my best friend when I was only 13. Our love lasted for almost 3 years (though our relationship lasted a year and 8 months) and no-one in the world can tell me that what I felt wasn't love.
I couldn't define love at all, but I will fight to the death for its existence. Actually, on second thoughts, perhaps I wouldn't; I never used to believe in love until I fell in it, so maybe it's pointless trying to convince someone who hasn't experienced love. I think it's quite likely that if someone is convinced that love doesn't exist that they will (subconsciously) prevent themselves from falling into it (though that wasn't true with me). Whether or not love is anything more than a bunch of firing synapses and chemical reactions is a moot point; tell any pershon who is in loved that it doesn't exist and see what they say. Just because you haven't felt it that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it just doesn't exist for you.

N.B. Please would someone tell me how to quote properly? Cheers.
agree

instead of clicking 'post reply' click the reply button at the bottom of the post that u want to quote
immortal
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think love is real - as real as any other emotion, and as real as we wish to make it.

Love must have some basis in reality, as it alters the body's chemistry considerabley just like any drug (which I suppose is where you get phrases like "love's *****/fool/addicted to love").

I don't really know how emotions work biologically, but the meaning we have put to the word love, in my opinion is platonic love and sexual love, which I think is kind of being intoxicated with another person.

It's real for me - but it's how anyone see's it. If you are/have been in love you know it, and if you're not you may not believe in it at all, simply because without knowing it, it doesn't feel real - like perhaps a belief in a deity or something.

I have known that love (both kinds) was real for a while without experiencing sexual love, because I knew somehow what it would feel like when I got there.

So I guess it depends on the person.

So does the meaning of life.
GivMeBakMyAccnt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lushes)
do we make up love?

love is an emotion like happy and sad. Thats how I see it.
Cos it makes you feel both ways really, and it hurts more than saddness.
Or it could be like some hormone release, sorta like sexual pleasure, but more like love pleasure.
Some people make it up, I hate it when some one says they love there bf/gf and a week later they love someone else, urgh :mad: its so annoying.
Love is beautiful, Im in love and I doubt no other person could ever change this feeling.
emmarrr
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
do we make up love?
err i make love?
JnA
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think sometime love masks their insecurites they have with each other in the relationship. Its a reassurance, like 'Oh she/he still wants to be with me' sort of thing. Most likely its the honeymoon phase of therelationship, thereafter youwither become accustomed with each other or good friends or decide to look elsewhere. I dont know - its just a theory...so dont anybody get antsy!
Sophdoph
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think its real, its a chemical process and part of your body and your mind so it does exist. Lots of people think they are in love when they maybe aren't, but its a subjective entity, an emotion, so hard to define.
thephenom
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yes i agree :rolleyes:
jonas123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emmarrr)
err i make love?
i took you 8 or so months to come up with that one eh? :rolleyes:
Rainbow
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
love is just a chemical reactions (although others make argue that its biological :rolleyes: ) but love for a person such as your mother is the sort of love where personality, looks etc etc, dont matter where as in a sexual relationship with a person who you plucked out of a crowd, so to speak, IS based on these factors, however shallow this sounds it is still true

you cannot just love someone the first time you meet them either, to me that is a naive and foolish way to be
Kuz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
do we make up love?
Yep its all made up, the copyrights are probably owned by Hallmark or something!
Muffle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kuz)
Yep its all made up, the copyrights are probably owned by Hallmark or something!
Microsoft actually, they own the moon aswell and are placing bids on mars
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (65)
18.95%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.87%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.96%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.87%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.21%
Taster lectures or seminars (72)
20.99%
Speak to current students studying my course (79)
23.03%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
3.79%
Fun online activities or experiences (12)
3.5%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.33%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
1.75%

Watched Threads