The Student Room Group

Who's gonna get 10 A * ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maths_Lover
Well done on them. I said 8+ as I am doing 13 GCSEs. Can't stop procrastinating though ever since I found TSR! :facepalm:

:biggrin:

Same, overall I'm doing equiv to 16 but yeah! It's just so annoying. :ashamed2:
10A* is a bit beyond my reach, expecially after my bad GCSE subject choice, but i'm aiming for 6/8A*'S hopefully :biggrin:
Reply 82
hmm I'm going for 11 A*s and an A in FSMQ. Anyone got any tips?

I got predicted 10 A*s, 1 A and a B in FMSQ.
Reply 83
Original post by erniiee

Original post by erniiee

The best tip anyone can give someone aiming for many A*s is to work hard throughout the year, and use revision only as a means of consolidating the facts you already know, as well as practising exam technique. It's often people with bad teachers or disruptive class-mates that end up doing the hardest work to get their A*s!

I'm sure you'll do fine, though, as you're predicted so many A*s. Just work hard at the FSMQ so you can get an A, and don't let it worry you too much if you don't quite achieve that illustrious all A* grades at GCSE; many people don't even get the opportunity to do as many GCSEs as you, so count yourself lucky! :wink:
Reply 84
Original post by und
The best tip anyone can give someone aiming for many A*s is to work hard throughout the year, and use revision only as a means of consolidating the facts you already know, as well as practising exam technique. It's often people with bad teachers or disruptive class-mates that end up doing the hardest work to get their A*s!

I'm sure you'll do fine, though, as you're predicted so many A*s. Just work hard at the FSMQ so you can get an A, and don't let it worry you too much if you don't quite achieve that illustrious all A* grades at GCSE; many people don't even get the opportunity to do as many GCSEs as you, so count yourself lucky! :wink:

thanks for the advice. what are your revision methods?

Also, are you going to do the OCR FSMQ exam?
Reply 85
Original post by erniiee

Original post by erniiee
thanks for the advice. what are your revision methods?

For the sciences, it's reading through my CGP revision guide at least once a short time before the exam, and doing one or two practice papers.
For languages you can't really revise, so I try my best throughout the year and take it easy before the exams.
The trick with Mathematics just to do many past papers.
For humanities, I'm going to go through all my GCSE books and read my notes. I might do some more intensive revision including past papers, during half term.
English is the difficult one for me. I haven't done much preparation for it yet, and I'm quite worried to be honest. I'm not the best person to ask if you're looking for advice concerning English!

The most important thing is to manage your time well. I can never get that right, and always end up cramming in some last minute revision a few days before the exams, but that's never learning something new - it's going over what I already know. If I had to learn new content for my GCSEs, I think I would start a lot earlier than I'm doing now! Thankfully, my teachers are competent at delivering the syllabus.

Original post by erniiee
Also, are you going to do the OCR FSMQ exam?

I'm not doing FSMQ as my school doesn't offer it.

I hope that helps. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 86
I only got 9 :rolleyes:

thus I have failed at life. :colone:
Reply 87
Original post by und
For the sciences, it's reading through my CGP revision guide at least once a short time before the exam, and doing one or two practice papers.
For languages you can't really revise, so I try my best throughout the year and take it easy before the exams.
The trick with Mathematics just to do many past papers.
For humanities, I'm going to go through all my GCSE books and read my notes. I might do some more intensive revision including past papers, during half term.
English is the difficult one for me. I haven't done much preparation for it yet, and I'm quite worried to be honest. I'm not the best person to ask if you're looking for advice concerning English!

The most important thing is to manage your time well. I can never get that right, and always end up cramming in some last minute revision a few days before the exams, but that's never learning something new - it's going over what I already know. If I had to learn new content for my GCSEs, I think I would start a lot earlier than I'm doing now! Thankfully, my teachers are competent at delivering the syllabus.

I'm not doing FSMQ as my school doesn't offer it.

I hope that helps. :smile:

Wow, you sound organised. How did you do in your mock exams? Oh and what are your exam boards?

Pretty much the same for me in Science - past papers and as I've already done notes for previous exams I think I'm sorted. Maths has become really easy as I do FSMQ also, so past papers help me there too. Languages - I'm trying to learn as much vocabulary as possible!

I find Art really easy, and the exam should be a breeze. However, I'm really worried about English so I've done as much revision as possible; reading the texts and pre release material over, and annotating. Reading examiner's reports is REALLY helpful. If you've got AQA for English I've got notes that may help. Oh and RS - I'm just making notes but its one of my last exams so I'm taking it easy. :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by Cinnamon_Twist
This is EXACTLY what I feel. I am so worried about messing up my final piece and ending up with a C. I worked so hard as well :frown:

Are you doing Art with AQA?
Reply 89
Original post by erniiee
Wow, you sound organised. How did you do in your mock exams? Oh and what are your exam boards?

I'm one of the least organised people I know! In the Easter holidays I ended up doing very little revision; I really do hope I don't carry these habits into Year 12.

In my mocks I got 8 A*s, an A in English Language, and a B in English Literature, although based on those exam results I would actually have ended up with 9 A*s and an A, because of my coursework (hence the predicted grades in my signature). Obviously people keep reminding me to not get too complacent, and I agree with them! I think I might have got a bit lucky in the mocks with lenient marking and slightly easier exams in certain subjects.

My exam boards are as follows:

English, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography - AQA
Mathematics, French, Russian, History - Edexcel

Original post by erniiee
If you've got AQA for English I've got notes that may help.

Wow, I would be really grateful if you could send them to me. :wink: Perhaps you should consider putting them on the TSR Wiki so as to reach a bigger audience.

Thanks. :smile:
Original post by therealOG
already done lololololol

Edit: Haters gonna hate

just thought i should let you know that i loved this comment aha
Reply 91
Original post by und
I'm one of the least organised people I know! In the Easter holidays I ended up doing very little revision; I really do hope I don't carry these habits into Year 12.

In my mocks I got 8 A*s, an A in English Language, and a B in English Literature, although based on those exam results I would actually have ended up with 9 A*s and an A, because of my coursework (hence the predicted grades in my signature). Obviously people keep reminding me to not get too complacent, and I agree with them! I think I might have got a bit lucky in the mocks with lenient marking and slightly easier exams in certain subjects.

My exam boards are as follows:

English, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography - AQA
Mathematics, French, Russian, History - Edexcel

Wow, I would be really grateful if you could send them to me. :wink: Perhaps you should consider putting them on the TSR Wiki so as to reach a bigger audience.

Thanks. :smile:

Yea same, I'm really worried that I'll be too complacent in AS and end up having to do multiple resits in June ontop of the other unit exams :frown:

Wow, those are great mock results. I got 8 A*s and 2 As. Oh and a big fat D in FSMQ..but half of the class failed, so I wasn't too bothered :biggrin:

Okay, well I can email you the notes, I'll pm you. But I don't know how to put them on the Wiki - I'm a newbie!
Reply 92
Original post by Cinnamon_Twist

Art- Edexcel

Oh okay, I really have no idea what the work from people in other schools looks like, especially for Art. We're quite lucky to have such a great Art department, so I think I'm feeling good about the exam. My teacher told me I've got full marks in my coursework :biggrin: so I'm aiming for at least 78/80 in the exam work.
Reply 93
Original post by erniiee

Original post by erniiee
Yea same, I'm really worried that I'll be too complacent in AS and end up having to do multiple resits in June ontop of the other unit exams :frown:

Wow, those are great mock results. I got 8 A*s and 2 As. Oh and a big fat D in FSMQ..but half of the class failed, so I wasn't too bothered :biggrin:

Okay, well I can email you the notes, I'll pm you. But I don't know how to put them on the Wiki - I'm a newbie!

Those are great results too! :smile: Obviously I exclude FSMQ from that sentiment as you didn't exactly get a top grade in that. :biggrin: Unfortunately my school doesn't offer it...

I would be thrilled if you could PM me the notes. I've never put anything on the Wiki either, but I can't imagine it being that hard.
Reply 94
Original post by und
Those are great results too! :smile: Obviously I exclude FSMQ from that sentiment as you didn't exactly get a top grade in that. :biggrin: Unfortunately my school doesn't offer it...

I would be thrilled if you could PM me the notes. I've never put anything on the Wiki either, but I can't imagine it being that hard.

Aha, thank you. And sure :smile:
Reply 95
Original post by erniiee

I'm doing 11 subjects too. I wanted to get 11A*s but I'm struggling with Spanish and English. Anyway, I do FSMQ too, how are you doing well in it? :tongue: I find it REALLY hard, I've been getting Us!!:colondollar:
Reply 96
Original post by Bambi :)
I'm doing 11 subjects too. I wanted to get 11A*s but I'm struggling with Spanish and English. Anyway, I do FSMQ too, how are you doing well in it? :tongue: I find it REALLY hard, I've been getting Us!!:colondollar:

Yeah, its so annoying! I'm really worried about French :/ Hm, I used to struggle with FSMQ but I'm starting to get the hang of it! In my mocks I got a D, but in the recent past papers I've gone from around 60 to 70 to 80 :biggrin: so I'm just aiming for 80 so I get an A.
Original post by Aminaubah
Same, overall I'm doing equiv to 16 but yeah! It's just so annoying. :ashamed2:

16? :eek4: You must be dying!

Original post by erniiee
Yeah, its so annoying! I'm really worried about French :/ Hm, I used to struggle with FSMQ but I'm starting to get the hang of it! In my mocks I got a D, but in the recent past papers I've gone from around 60 to 70 to 80 :biggrin: so I'm just aiming for 80 so I get an A.

Good luck in FSMQ. :smile:
Reply 98
Original post by erniiee

I think the way they teach languages at GCSE is terrible, at my school at least. They don't teach us how to say sentences or what sentences mean, just tonnes of words that won't make any sense unless we see an example of them used in sentences! - . -

And aahh do you use the OCR FSMQ book? Should I just work through that and do past papers? :\ I'm not too worried, but seeing as I've been doing it during lessons I might as well get some UCAS points for it!
Reply 99
Go for it guys and girls! I got 3 A*s, 6 As, 1 B in my GCSEs back in 2006 and they served me well in gaining an Academic Scholarship to a very expensive Sixth Form in Oxford and two scholarships to University. (Unfortunately I had to drop out of that university earlier this year due to on-going health issues, but I'm looking forward to the future positively.) ALSO, bear in mind that for you Oxbridge hopefuls, candidates needing all A*s is, by and large, a myth.

Quick Reply

Latest