The Student Room Group

University with lowest requirements for Medicine?

Hi,
I've heard a lot about Universites with really high entry requirements and I was wondering if there were any Unis with *low/acceptable requirements for Medicine? I havn't completed my GCSEs yet and just wanted this as a sort of back up plan if I get unexpected grades.

And, if you were given an offer with 'under-average' grades please tell me what University this was. By under-average I mean compared to most applicants...

One more thing, I'm not sure how this entry and offer system works, enlighten me :smile:

Thanks
Josh

*low/acceptable compared to most Universites.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Josh_Dey

Hi,
I've heard a lot about Universites with really high entry requirements and I was wondering if there were any Unis with *low/acceptable requirements for Medicine? I havn't completed my GCSEs yet and just wanted this as a sort of back up plan if I get unexpected grades.

And, if you were given an offer with 'under-average' grades please tell me what University this was. By under-average I mean compared to most applicants...

One more thing, I'm not sure how this entry and offer system works, enlighten me :smile:

Thanks
Josh

Low Gcse's or low a levels?
Reply 2
Hi,

Thanks
Josh

A2 predictions of AAA minimum as far as I know, with you having to take Biology + Chemistry for AS and carrying on one or both for A2. Plus GCSE could matter at some uni's like you loads of A*'S, A'S and very few B's.....

Plus you have to realise that Medicine is very very competitive, plus you have to take extra exams like UKCAT and BMAT which some unis require... with a high score in it.......

Then you got to an interview, plus you got to have loads and loads for work experience......... its quite hard
Reply 3
Hi,

Thanks
Jo

the offers for universities when i was doing my GCSE's included ABB, and the majority of universities including most russell group unis were AAB, it all changes so quickly, as its really competitive, and i think with people having to pay more for uni more are likely to go for a job with a high degree of job security as well as high (ish) wages.
Reply 4
Hi,

Thanks
Josh

Southampton do a 6 year course that's a widening access but you only need BBC

http://www.soton.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2012/medicine.shtml

you have to scroll down a bit - only 30 places
my brother got an offer for medicine CCC. He ended up getting CCC and is basically just doing his 1 year hospital training this year instead of after the 5 years of degree etc. His awfully lucky though! Just hope he copes being with all these A* applicants
Reply 6
Original post by needsomeadvice
my brother got an offer for medicine CCC. He ended up getting CCC and is basically just doing his 1 year hospital training this year instead of after the 5 years of degree etc. His awfully lucky though! Just hope he copes being with all these A* applicants

Wow, that's actually very lucky! Which university? :biggrin:
I still can't believe it though, I've heard so many horror stories; this is like a miracle.:lovedup:
Reply 7
Original post by The_Goose
Southampton do a 6 year course that's a widening access but you only need BBC

http://www.soton.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2012/medicine.shtml

you have to scroll down a bit - only 30 places

How did you find it?
Reply 8
Original post by gozatron
Low Gcse's or low a levels?

Hmm, bit if both... not low though.

how about this? (I haven't completed GCSEs yet so these are just estimates)

GCSEs: 2A *s 6As 4 Bs
A Levels: ABB

I would like to know about a less competetive university :smile:

Thanks

*neg?
(edited 12 years ago)
How did you find it?

UEA also do a similar course....

BUT...you need to meet various criteria and this year for soton there were over 700 applicants for the 30 places.....so thats a 23:1 applicant/place ratio.....which is waaaaaaay higher than any normal med course
Hmm, bit if both... not low though.

how about this? (I haven't completed GCSEs yet so these are just estimates)

GCSEs: 2A *s 6As 4 Bs
A Levels: ABB

I want a slightly less competetive university...

Thanks

hey, i don't mean to sound harsh at all, but no university will look at you if you have predicted grades of ABB. this year there are very few med schools that are AAB, and by the time you apply, its likely that AAA will be the minimum anywhere is asking.

and in terms of a slightly less competitive uni, you may struggle to find one. if anything, universities with lower requirements will be more competitive :s-smilie:. the competition is going to be tough wherever you apply, but as long as you play to your strengths, you should be fine :smile:.

sorry to sound so doom and gloom! but you have ages until you need to think about all this, dont be worrying too much about it yet :smile:
Hi,

Thanks
Josh

With the grades that you've mentioned, my guess is that Keele would be your best bet - because they're so Personal Statement obsessed.
How did you find it?

I remember someone telling me a bout it a while ago. They wanted to apply and hadn't got the grades because their mum had been ill. Unfortunately I lost contact with her, so don't know the outcome.
Reply 13
Original post by periwinkle304
hey, i don't mean to sound harsh at all, but no university will look at you if you have predicted grades of ABB. this year there are very few med schools that are AAB, and by the time you apply, its likely that AAA will be the minimum anywhere is asking.

and in terms of a slightly less competitive uni, you may struggle to find one. if anything, universities with lower requirements will be more competitive :s-smilie:. the competition is going to be tough wherever you apply, but as long as you play to your strengths, you should be fine :smile:.

sorry to sound so doom and gloom! but you have ages until you need to think about all this, dont be worrying too much about it yet :smile:

Hi, no problem :smile:

I havn't even completed my GCSEs yet, these are just what I think I will get at minimum... But thanks for telling me :biggrin:
King's EMDP

You will have to check that your school is on 'their list', so phone them up.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/index/name/emdp/alpha/MNO/header_search/
Hi, no problem :smile:

I havn't even completed my GCSEs yet, these are just what I think I will get at minimum... But thanks for telling me :biggrin:

ah best of luck in your gcses! and what did you want to know about the whole entry and offer system? :smile:
My friend got in with BCC at King's college for medicine. There is a certain criteria, like you have to live in a deprived area and came from a school/college that have a really low scores.

Do you live in a deprived area?
Reply 17
Original post by yeahyeahyeahs
My friend got in with BCC at King's college for medicine. There is a certain criteria, like you have to live in a deprived area and came from a school/college that have a really low scores.

Do you live in a deprived area?

Hmm, IMO yes.
I go to a school that is in a big financial problem, to the point you have to pay for paper if it is lost.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hmm, IMO yes.
I go to a school that is in a big financial problem, to the point you have to pay for paper if it is lost!

Thats just retarded. My old school used to enforce stupid rules like that.
One teacher used to stand just inside the door and demand "outdoor coats off" as soon as you walked in through the door :s-smilie:
Original post by pascalgungah
what the?...... Thats ridiculous, those who do medicine are likely to become doctors, who have to be intelligent, if your brother can't even get one a or b then he should definetly not be doing medicine, he is basically stupid, how would you like it if you were smarter than your doctor?

If he is not academically able enough to become a doctor, he'll probably fail his first year exams so I wouldn't worry about that. It is a bit harsh that you would call someone stupid for getting average A level grades. You don't know under what circumstances meant that his grades were reduced.

Latest