how to start a car with broken starter motor? Watch

Pookie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by snmichaels)
Of course you can tow an automatic. It's called 'N' for Neutral.

When towing any car, remember that the towee should brake for both cars. This will ensure that there is always tension in the cable/rope. If there is too much slack, and the tower drives off a little too quickly and jerk the cable/rope, it could cause some hefty damage.

Stevo is right, although speed/miles varies between cars, it is not advised to tow autos. I am afraid neutral isn't good enough the reason being an automatic uses the engine to lubricate the gearbox, so obviously when towing the gearbox isn't being lubricated.
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah, suppose you're right.
Lucho_Leche
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Ynox)
get a hammer, whack the starter motor a few times when someone is turning the engine over, should get it going. Usually its a stuck solenoid which causes the issue so that frees it up.
I'd just like to say thanks. Had this exact problem last night and between the above advice and the Haynes Auto Repair book I bought a few weeks ago for my car I got my car started this morning without a hitch hardest part was actually finding the starter.

I was amazed with just how softly I had to tap to make it happen too. I had no hammer so I used the soft rubber end of a screw driver and two soft taps to the starter and the solenoid and it just worked like magic.

I would suggest trying this to anyone who thinks has this problem and is competent enough to find the starter in their car.
Cha1694
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You can't put an automatic into neutral with the engine off, best bet for towing is to use a low loader. What I've had to do in the past, luckily my brother in law has one so it doesn't cost a bomb don't think they're cheap for calls out.
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A solid ten years late to the party, is that a record?
martinbrown1287
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
being a towing truck driver at towing service in Queens, i would not recommend to start.....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads