The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester or St Andrews?

Hey guys, as the subject states: Manchester or St Andrews?

I have an offer for Politics and IR at Manchester for 35 IB points with 6 6 5 in HL and no lower than 5 in any subject.

And also an offer for IR and Economics at St Andrews for 35 IB points.

I'm basically clueless in how the two compare and would like to know what you think.

Anyhow, I'd like to know what you'd think and I'd greatly appreciate your inputs.

NB: There are 45 IB Points total and 7 Points for each subject; six IB subjects + 3 bonuses available
Reply 1
St Andrews... will look better!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Prestige wise Manchester has an amazing reputation internationally, in the UK St Andys has an immense reputation. Both are very good, and Manchester is actually ranked 5th in the world for its graduates going on to the highest powered careers in business sector (above cambridge :wink: ). So Manchester is great. But ive also heard that IR is one of St Andys strongest subjects and they are very well known for it, especially in America.

So either way you have a great choice. Really you should decide based on location as they are so different and also whether you want to do Politics or Economics.
Reply 3
St Andrews... just because it's awesome =P

In all seriousness though they're both very good universities so in reality you should base your choice on which you prefer as a place. Just keep in mind they are very different. St andrews is tiny, and manchester is quite a big city.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
From the sounds of it, this mainly depends on where you'd prefer to live. Manchester is a huge city with plenty to do and St Andrews is tiny, as well as being quite expensive. If you like living in cities then choose Manchester, if you want to live in a small town then choose St Andrews. This is assuming that you can't find any other defining differences between the two (there are several)...
Reply 5
Based purely on my own experience the people I've met who went to St Andrews turned out a little... odd. But if you fancy the idea of wandering around everywhere in academic robes, St Andrews is the place for you.

Manchester's a great city to live in, but like mimimimi says it really just depends what sort of a place you want to live in. You could also take a look at the courses you've been offered and see which one you like the sound of better, maybe contact the relevant department or current/former students for more information.
St Andrews - Prince William attended!

In all seriousness I suggest you visit the unis if possible and you'll get a good feel for the area. I've only visited the Uni of Manchester and I liked it, but I'm biased because I also live in Manchester!
Reply 7
Original post by superwolf
Based purely on my own experience the people I've met who went to St Andrews turned out a little... odd. But if you fancy the idea of wandering around everywhere in academic robes, St Andrews is the place for you.
Manchester's a great city to live in, but like mimimimi says it really just depends what sort of a place you want to live in. You could also take a look at the courses you've been offered and see which one you like the sound of better, maybe contact the relevant department or current/former students for more information.

This worries me . I too think st A could make a student odd

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending