The Student Room Group

International Baccalaureate at City and Islington

Poll

Which 2 subjects should I take for groups 4 and 6?

Hi there,

I have my interview for IB at CandI coming up soon, and have some general questions about it...

First of all, the subjects I want to take are:
English A1 HL
French B SL
History HL
Biology SL/HL
Maths SL
Chemistry/Economics/Psychology/Social and Cultural Anthropology SL/HL

And my GCSE predicted/targeted grades are:

English A/A*
English Literature A/A*
Maths A*/A*
Statistics B (acheived)
Core Science A (acheived)
Additional Science B/A (predicted) A* (targeted)
Geography A/A*
French B/B
ICT B/B
Drama C/B
R.E. A/B (got a C on a 50% module last year and high B's on this years mocks, but teacher predicted overall A which is practically impossible now)
DiDA Pass (acheived)

1) I have been advised it can be a bad idea to go to 'new IB' schools because they can be poorly organised/don't understand the course, and they only started the course last September. Does anyone know what it is like there, and how well it is run?

2) Does the course seem more/less enjoyable and interesting compared to GCSE's/A-Levels?

3) I want to take French B SL as I enjoy the subject and think it would be very useful and beneficial to me in the future, but am less confident in my ability in it, very unlikely to get above a B in my GCSE in it, and scared of getting a low IB grade which would damage my overall score - with a lot of revision/practise, could I get a good grade? (maybe 5?)

4) Science at my school has been crammed notetaking and textbook work, which has meant that althoug my grades are fine, I do not enjoy the subject much right now. However, the IB courses sound much more interested and have a decent amount of practical work, but I am not sure if it would be wise to take a HL science in this situation. The other problem is that I am commited to English and History HL, and am unsure if there are any decent amount of science courses at Uni I could take with only one science to HL - are there? Would having one of bio/chem to HL and the other to SL help? If not, I would probably just stick to Bio SL as my compulsory science, and then pick a second humanity at HL from G6 (note Chem cannot be taken in G4, only G6).

Which of the three listed G6 humanities options (Economics/Psychology/Social and Cultural Anthropology) would be the best in terms of university courses/recognition (are any more respected), and likely enjoyment (I have never studied any but am edging against psych and towards the other 2). I think Economics could be useful as I am very interested in politics and it would presumably support that, but many Eco courses need Maths HL, which isn't offered, so I may be better off taking S&C A?

Thanks a lot for the help!
Reply 1
Before I write my reply, I can tell you that I am an IB student at CandI. :smile:

1) I know that I was taking a risk by joining an IB college in its first year of the IB. But to be honest, it ultimately comes down to you. If you truely study and work hard at it, I think you could pass. But Melissa, the IB head, is REALLY great. She is always on top of things and I truely have faith in all the IB teachers etc. But, I am admitedly slightly worried that it is the school's first year doing IB.

2) My education history is a little messed up. I only did GCSEs for like a few months and was only offered 4 at a really dodge/techincally illegal "school". So, I can't really compare them to GCSEs, but I can to A-Levels. I started out in AS, but quickly switched to IB and it was an uhMazing decision! I highly recommend it.

3) Yes, you could. But becuase you're only doing it at SL it won't make too much of a difference. Most unis only care about you HL subjects.

4) I can't really help you here. I know that for my year right now they only offered HL Bio + HL Chem OR SL ESS which didn't give us much choice which really pissed me off to be honest :/ But I am in SL ESS and I can tell you that it is a really bad class with a really bad teacher >:frown: It's boring and the teacher isn't good at teaching and he's mean. But my friends say bio is the best if that helps in any way.

5) I am in economics right now, and am a little mad about the whole uni HL math thing also. I can tell you that anthropology is VERY well-known amongst IB and AS/A2 students for one thing: WORK WORK WORK. They have too much work sometimes, but it is apparently a VERY itneresting subject. I am in economcis and am loving it. I also had absolutely no idea abotu history, economics, or anthropology but now I am in economics I want to do it at uni (with politics which is my main interest). I highly recommend economics. :biggrin:

Hope I helped.... I might be a tiny bit biased lol
Hello there, i'm another student and candi doing the IB.

1. I also felt taking the IB at Candi would be a risk but as the person above said, Melissa is an amazing coordinater, very well organised has been really supportive. The teachers have all had IB training and they're also heads of departments, so they really know what they're doing. with that said, with the IB a lot of independant learning is expected, so it may seem like they're not teaching you enough but they are. i pressume you'll hopefully be joining this september and by then the teachers would of had prior experiance.

2. personally i cannot compare the IB to a levels or gcse's in the uk but from what i have heard from close friends who do A levels, the IB is a lot more fun!! there are only about 30 students so we're quite a close knit family and everyone is so so friendly, you'll easily make new friends. & with tok and cas it's definitely fun and interesting.

3. i do french b sl and i found it really hard especially when it comes to grammer. but we have about 5 students in our class and Susanne is a very patient teacher. a 5 is definitely achievable!!! :smile:

4. Honestly, if you do not enjoy a subject and don't need it for what you want to do in the future then i wouldn't advise you to take a HL bio or chem. I do HL in both and they're really challenging subject, biology being the most interesting though. :smile: If you do decide to take both science then i would suggest you take bio Hl and chem sl or just bio Hl. i've checked out uni's and so far most science based topics ask for both subjects and at least 1 at HL.

5. I'm going to be totally biased here and tell you to take anthropology!!! :smile: it's the most interesting subject you'll ever take and Sian is an AMAZING teacher! i'll admitt there is quite a lot of work involved but you'll definitely enjoy it!!!!

Hope this helps, and hopefully you'll join us this year :smile:
Just for the record I voted Bio HL and SL Psychology.

Mainly because I find them both to be interesting classes.
Reply 4
Original post by AmosFamos
Before I write my reply, I can tell you that I am an IB student at CandI. :smile:

1) I know that I was taking a risk by joining an IB college in its first year of the IB. But to be honest, it ultimately comes down to you. If you truely study and work hard at it, I think you could pass. But Melissa, the IB head, is REALLY great. She is always on top of things and I truely have faith in all the IB teachers etc. But, I am admitedly slightly worried that it is the school's first year doing IB.

2) My education history is a little messed up. I only did GCSEs for like a few months and was only offered 4 at a really dodge/techincally illegal "school". So, I can't really compare them to GCSEs, but I can to A-Levels. I started out in AS, but quickly switched to IB and it was an uhMazing decision! I highly recommend it.

3) Yes, you could. But becuase you're only doing it at SL it won't make too much of a difference. Most unis only care about you HL subjects.

4) I can't really help you here. I know that for my year right now they only offered HL Bio + HL Chem OR SL ESS which didn't give us much choice which really pissed me off to be honest :/ But I am in SL ESS and I can tell you that it is a really bad class with a really bad teacher >:frown: It's boring and the teacher isn't good at teaching and he's mean. But my friends say bio is the best if that helps in any way.

5) I am in economics right now, and am a little mad about the whole uni HL math thing also. I can tell you that anthropology is VERY well-known amongst IB and AS/A2 students for one thing: WORK WORK WORK. They have too much work sometimes, but it is apparently a VERY itneresting subject. I am in economcis and am loving it. I also had absolutely no idea abotu history, economics, or anthropology but now I am in economics I want to do it at uni (with politics which is my main interest). I highly recommend economics. :biggrin:

Original post by sabrinarafael

1. I also felt taking the IB at Candi would be a risk but as the person above said, Melissa is an amazing coordinater, very well organised has been really supportive. The teachers have all had IB training and they're also heads of departments, so they really know what they're doing. with that said, with the IB a lot of independant learning is expected, so it may seem like they're not teaching you enough but they are. i pressume you'll hopefully be joining this september and by then the teachers would of had prior experiance.

2. personally i cannot compare the IB to a levels or gcse's in the uk but from what i have heard from close friends who do A levels, the IB is a lot more fun!! there are only about 30 students so we're quite a close knit family and everyone is so so friendly, you'll easily make new friends. & with tok and cas it's definitely fun and interesting.

3. i do french b sl and i found it really hard especially when it comes to grammer. but we have about 5 students in our class and Susanne is a very patient teacher. a 5 is definitely achievable!!! :smile:

4. Honestly, if you do not enjoy a subject and don't need it for what you want to do in the future then i wouldn't advise you to take a HL bio or chem. I do HL in both and they're really challenging subject, biology being the most interesting though. :smile: If you do decide to take both science then i would suggest you take bio Hl and chem sl or just bio Hl. i've checked out uni's and so far most science based topics ask for both subjects and at least 1 at HL.

5. I'm going to be totally biased here and tell you to take anthropology!!! :smile: it's the most interesting subject you'll ever take and Sian is an AMAZING teacher! i'll admitt there is quite a lot of work involved but you'll definitely enjoy it!!!!

Thanks a lot for the help and advice guys, really helpful coming from current students! I had my interview earlier today and met Melissa - she does seem really nice and friendly! However, we have been told they are removing Biology SL due to a lack of interest, so the same as your year group but without the Chemistry option, that is group 6 only. Also, the only humanity in group 6 will be anthropology. So I have a choice between 1) Bio HL and Anthropology or Chemistry SL or 2) ESS SL and Anthropology HL, but don't have to finalise this until enrolment in September. I am tempted to for Bio HL and Anthropology SL because anthropology seems really interesting, both from what I've read about it and what you've said, but I can see no huge advantage to taking it at HL since I already have English and History, whilst a 'pure science' may be slightly more beneficial - I would really like to continue studying it, and although it won't open many courses, apparently it is a useful extra for humanities/social sciences and also shows I can do science well and have the bredth for it. If ESS is as bad as you say, thats another good reason. Thanks alot for your help!
Reply 5
I'm also doing IB at candi (there are a lot of us around here, it seems).

I can see why you might be worried about doing IB at a college that has just started offering it, but I have to say in some ways I think it's a plus. The college has a lot invested in the IB kids succeeding, and I think the uncertainty means they put a lot of effort in. Melissa makes sure she's involved every step of the way, and she tries not to let anyone fall too far behind.

I've got a bit of a different perspective from the other guys, because I did AS at candi last year. Although the IB did take a bit of getting used to (especially losing all the free time I had during the week), I'd still really recommend it. Along with Melissa and the other teachers offering loads more support, we've also built up a real sense of community in the IB group.

One of the things about candi is that it's pretty big, and as you're only there for two years you don't get time to get to know the people in your classes if you do A-levels. I got to the end of my AS year and realised I still didn't know most of the people in my classes - and whilst that was partly because I'm terrible at remembering names, it was also because there was only one person who was in more than one class with me. You're with the same people every day, but one of the advantages of being in a big college is that you can still get to know A-level students, so we're not totally separated.

On the subject of our ESS teacher, a lot of people have really taken against him, and I have to admit sometimes he can be annoying, but he's not always that bad. However, if you're really interested in doing proper science, I wouldn't go for it. It's sort of social-based/applied science as opposed to a 'serious' science, and although we do do some experiments I think we do less than the biology/chemistry lot.

Oh, and I just thought of another reason IB beats A-levels. This isn't true for the Anthropology set as their subject is really popular, but in Economics and History we have tiny classes - there are 5 people in my history class. This means you can't slack off, but all your questions get answered and we can have proper discussions. That might not be for everyone, but personally I think I learn better when we're talking, because I'm properly engaged.

And Clive - the history teacher - is a good person to know, because he's the EE co-ordinator, he's marked loads of EE's in the past and he also seems to know a lot about the university process.
Reply 6
Just so you know, I found out that the teachers we have this year will NOT be the teachers you have next year. So like disregard what we said about our teachers :P
Reply 7
Original post by AmosFamos

Original post by sabrinarafael

Original post by Velcrotique
I'm also doing IB at candi (there are a lot of us around here, it seems).

I can see why you might be worried about doing IB at a college that has just started offering it, but I have to say in some ways I think it's a plus. The college has a lot invested in the IB kids succeeding, and I think the uncertainty means they put a lot of effort in. Melissa makes sure she's involved every step of the way, and she tries not to let anyone fall too far behind.

I've got a bit of a different perspective from the other guys, because I did AS at candi last year. Although the IB did take a bit of getting used to (especially losing all the free time I had during the week), I'd still really recommend it. Along with Melissa and the other teachers offering loads more support, we've also built up a real sense of community in the IB group.

One of the things about candi is that it's pretty big, and as you're only there for two years you don't get time to get to know the people in your classes if you do A-levels. I got to the end of my AS year and realised I still didn't know most of the people in my classes - and whilst that was partly because I'm terrible at remembering names, it was also because there was only one person who was in more than one class with me. You're with the same people every day, but one of the advantages of being in a big college is that you can still get to know A-level students, so we're not totally separated.

On the subject of our ESS teacher, a lot of people have really taken against him, and I have to admit sometimes he can be annoying, but he's not always that bad. However, if you're really interested in doing proper science, I wouldn't go for it. It's sort of social-based/applied science as opposed to a 'serious' science, and although we do do some experiments I think we do less than the biology/chemistry lot.

Oh, and I just thought of another reason IB beats A-levels. This isn't true for the Anthropology set as their subject is really popular, but in Economics and History we have tiny classes - there are 5 people in my history class. This means you can't slack off, but all your questions get answered and we can have proper discussions. That might not be for everyone, but personally I think I learn better when we're talking, because I'm properly engaged.

And Clive - the history teacher - is a good person to know, because he's the EE co-ordinator, he's marked loads of EE's in the past and he also seems to know a lot about the university process.

Hello guys :smile:
If you want my opinion, go with A-Levels. I chose to do IB instead and it was probably the biggest mistake I ever made.

However that may be due to the college I attend. Ultimately the decision lies with you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending