How does insurance work when buying a first car? Watch

This discussion is closed.
MangoTree
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Lets say I have no insurance whatsoever, I only passed my test about a week ago and I want to buy a car. I have a general idea on the make and model I want to buy but nothing specific. I want to visit the dealers one day and buy that car, when do I set up the insurance for it? Do I buy insurance before buying the car, in which case I would not know exactly which car I would be buying, or after buying the car, at the dealership?

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

Buy insurance after you by the car, but before you drive it (it's quick and easy to do).

ALWAYS do a car insurance quote comparison on:
gocompare.com
www.moneysupermarket.com
confused.com
and more to check you have the cheapest deal possible
Tinsley
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't think you drive it home unless insurance covers you. Someone else could drive it home for you if their insurance covers them to drive other cars, that's what my Mum did as I hadn't passed my test when I bought my car.
bibekpd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MangoTree)
Lets say I have no insurance whatsoever, I only passed my test about a week ago and I want to buy a car. I have a general idea on the make and model I want to buy but nothing specific. I want to visit the dealers one day and buy that car, when do I set up the insurance for it? Do I buy insurance before buying the car, in which case I would not know exactly which car I would be buying, or after buying the car, at the dealership?
If you passed your test a week ago dont bother getting a car just yet as your insurance will be sky high :rolleyes:

However if youre loaded then carry on reading:

Unlike america in the uk youve gotta get the insurance for your self for a specific car,

So if you go to dealers and find a car you like then jot down the vehicle reg and you can go to comparethemarket.com or moneysupermarket.com ( biggest insurance comparison websites currently) and fill out the form and the bit where they ask cars details, enter the reg and for the bit where it says when did you buy the car..click on not bought yet.

Thats how you check the insurance before buying the car.

Keep in mind, some car sellers give you free 7 days of car insurance for you so you can drive it home straight way and get the insurance the next day or whatever. IT IS ILLEGAL for you to even drive out of the sellers premises on to the road without a car insurance even if youve just bought it and youre going to get it once you get home.

So as i said check the insurance first and if you DO decide to get the car then pay the dealer an advance, buy the insurance and go get the car. OR ALL of the insurance company have 14 days of cooling of period so you can cancel it within that time if somehow you dont end up getting that car.

Also, Comprehensive insurance is the cheapest for new drivers, try insurethebox.com as its cheapest one around at the moment.

Hope this helps!
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Tinsley)
I don't think you drive it home unless insurance covers you. Someone else could drive it home for you if their insurance covers them to drive other cars, that's what my Mum did as I hadn't passed my test when I bought my car.
Actually thats illegal. You have to have insurance that actually covers the car. Otherwise, the car isnt insured. And if you get caught by the police on your way home, you get in big trouble.

You have to have insurance to drive home in the car. The proper way to do it is to look for cars. And when you know which car you want to buy, then get insurance on the car before you pick it up. Most garages will want to see proof that you have insurance (the certificate, printout off the internet etc) before they let you drive the car away.
Some garages though will give you 7 day insurance (mainly on new cars). Its always worth asking if the garage does that.
bibekpd
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
SOME insurance companies cover comprehensive cover for their drivers on ANY CAR so in that case they can drive the car to your house or something.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bibekpd)
SOME insurance companies cover comprehensive cover for their drivers on ANY CAR so in that case they can drive the car to your house or something.
Actually you are wrong. Yes- the other person may be insured to drive your car on their cars insurance policy. But the the car you are driving will be uninsured. You have to actually insure the vehicle. If the vehicle is uninsured, you are in trouble- (i think the car can actually be taken away by police)
bibekpd
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
Actually you are wrong. Yes- the other person may be insured to drive your car on their cars insurance policy. But the the car you are driving will be uninsured. You have to actually insure the vehicle. If the vehicle is uninsured, you are in trouble- (i think the car can actually be taken away by police)
Never thought about it that way. You seem to be right. Learnt something new today
Tinsley
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Actually thats illegal. You have to have insurance that actually covers the car. Otherwise, the car isnt insured. And if you get caught by the police on your way home, you get in big trouble.

You have to have insurance to drive home in the car. The proper way to do it is to look for cars. And when you know which car you want to buy, then get insurance on the car before you pick it up. Most garages will want to see proof that you have insurance (the certificate, printout off the internet etc) before they let you drive the car away.
Some garages though will give you 7 day insurance (mainly on new cars). Its always worth asking if the garage does that.
I just asked my Mum she said the dealership I bought it from had some sort of cover so that it was insured for a week or something. No idea what mind, it was from a Seat garage in Hull...She said its quite common for dealerships to offer that?

She drove it home with whatever that was as she is insured to drive other cars too. She said if her insurance didn't allow her to drive other cars she couldn't do it, as in I wasn't able to drive it home with her on my provisional and the like.
R. Murray
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This makes me wonder if when you have third party cover for other cars through your comprehensive policy and you go and test drive a car, you're insured. But when you sign on the dotted line the car is yours so you can't be insured can you? I'm talking about private sales here, not dealers with the "get you home" cover.
EvieMo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you bought from a private seller you would still have to get insurance before you could collect the car and drive it home. The seller should expect to have to store the car for a day or two so that you can arrange insurance. If you buy insurance online or over the phone you are normally covered instantly.

Dealers often offer free insurance for 7 days so you can get the car home. It also enables them to tax the car for you.

Dealers should have insurance so that you can take the car for a test drive before you pay for it, without you needing to arrange your own insurance.
chriscpritchard
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Actually, you are wrong. It depends on the wording of the insurance policy as to whether you are insured to drive it (if the insurance policy says "insured to drive any car not owned by you, with permission of the owner" then it's fine, whereas it can sometimes say "insured to drive any car not owned by you, with permission of the owner as long as other insurance is in force" or similar). You may get stopped by the police, but assuming you can provide an insurance certificate there is no problem and the car won't be taken away. The vehicle is not insured the person is!

The problem is with continuous insurance, for the car to be taxed (even if kept on the drive) then a valid insurance policy in relation to that vehicle must be in force (note I said in relation to, as specific people are insured, but on most policies they're only insured to drive one car). However, this is enforced by the DVLA and not the police, and they normally send a nice letter out to you first, before a fine. You can drive the car without tax (but someone must be insured to drive it) on the way to/from an MOT test or for minor repairs as required to pass an MOT, as an MOT certificate is required for taxing the car.
chriscpritchard
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by R. Murray)
This makes me wonder if when you have third party cover for other cars through your comprehensive policy and you go and test drive a car, you're insured. But when you sign on the dotted line the car is yours so you can't be insured can you? I'm talking about private sales here, not dealers with the "get you home" cover.
This is the case (mostly), not because the car is not insured, but because the wording of the policy always says that you are not allowed to drive a vehicle owned by a you, or a family member.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by chriscpritchard)
Actually, you are wrong. It depends on the wording of the insurance policy as to whether you are insured to drive it (if the insurance policy says "insured to drive any car not owned by you, with permission of the owner" then it's fine, whereas it can sometimes say "insured to drive any car not owned by you, with permission of the owner as long as other insurance is in force" or similar). You may get stopped by the police, but assuming you can provide an insurance certificate there is no problem and the car won't be taken away. The vehicle is not insured the person is!

The problem is with continuous insurance, for the car to be taxed (even if kept on the drive) then a valid insurance policy in relation to that vehicle must be in force (note I said in relation to, as specific people are insured, but on most policies they're only insured to drive one car). However, this is enforced by the DVLA and not the police, and they normally send a nice letter out to you first, before a fine. You can drive the car without tax (but someone must be insured to drive it) on the way to/from an MOT test or for minor repairs as required to pass an MOT, as an MOT certificate is required for taxing the car.
Whatever the wording of the insurance is, your own insurance (which covers your car) might say you may be able to drive the car. But if the actual car you are driving isnt on the insurance database (i.e. it isnt insured) then the police can stop you and dish out whatever punishment they give out. This website shows you if your car is insured or not- and i think its the one the police use (or if not they use a similar one) http://www.askmid.com/
chriscpritchard
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Whatever the wording of the insurance is, your own insurance (which covers your car) might say you may be able to drive the car. But if the actual car you are driving isnt on the insurance database (i.e. it isnt insured) then the police can stop you and dish out whatever punishment they give out. This website shows you if your car is insured or not- and i think its the one the police use (or if not they use a similar one) http://www.askmid.com/
The police can stop you, yes, but as I said, if you can show via an insurance certificate (what actually matters under the RTA) that YOU are insured to drive (not the car, that doesn't matter in this case!) then you'll be fine. After all, when I got car insurance it took about 2 weeks for the MID to be updated, if I'd been stopped, which I could have been, I'd just have needed to show my insurance certificate and I'd have been allowed to continue
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by chriscpritchard)
The police can stop you, yes, but as I said, if you can show via an insurance certificate (what actually matters under the RTA) that YOU are insured to drive (not the car, that doesn't matter in this case!) then you'll be fine. After all, when I got car insurance it took about 2 weeks for the MID to be updated, if I'd been stopped, which I could have been, I'd just have needed to show my insurance certificate and I'd have been allowed to continue
I give up, your clearly not going to accept the truth.
Dan9878
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
[QUOTE=Emma:-);31028111]Actually thats illegal. You have to have insurance that actually covers the car. Otherwise, the car isnt insured. And if you get caught by the police on your way home, you get in big trouble.

Thats not true, some insurance companys say that for 3rd party entitlement the car must be insured, others say it doesn't need to be. It should say on the insurance certificate.
chriscpritchard
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I give up, your clearly not going to accept the truth.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/part/VI - nothing there about the car being insured, only insurance "in relation to the use of the vehicle by that person" - of which TPO drive any car cover counts as.

(at the moment, the prospective - coming into force LATER this year - S144A-D mean a policy bearing the registration mark has to be in effect)
x-pixie-lottie-x
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
you can buy one day or 7 day insurance which would be what you want to drive it home then get some proper insurance sorted
http://www.comparethemarket.com/1-day-car-insurance/
x
jamieclegg123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can I make a point I have an insurance policy similar which allows me to drive any car not owned by me with owners permission and drove my son's newly bought car home and was pulled over twice shown my insurance documents and was allowed to drive off so you are wrong and the other person is correct
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (4)
36.36%
No (7)
63.64%

Watched Threads