The Student Room Group

How to STRUCTURE a higher english essay?

:confused:, agghhhh now i really am stressing, i started trying to write a drama essay and im already struggling. I just don't know how to structure it? I was thinking of writing like one paragraph on characterisation and then another on setting and then another on dialogue and then so on but i really have no clue :frown:. I can write poetry essays no bother but i cant do drama essays, ANY HELP PLEASE
Reply 1
it depends on the question u have to b relevant we use this structure like ur intro then central concern paragraph then two or three main paragraphs n then conclusion ull b fine y dnt u like interlink stuff in the one paragraph so uressay flows instead of doin a paragraph based on characterisation or whatever u feel comfortable with good luck dnt panic it wnt help u
Reply 2
Original post by ilovelife1234
:confused:, agghhhh now i really am stressing, i started trying to write a drama essay and im already struggling. I just don't know how to structure it? I was thinking of writing like one paragraph on characterisation and then another on setting and then another on dialogue and then so on but i really have no clue :frown:. I can write poetry essays no bother but i cant do drama essays, ANY HELP PLEASE

The most important thing to remember is Reference to task ( refer to question )

It's important to answer the question in the order the question is in! For example, a question about ending, alot of people tend to write everything they know about the play and then at the end of their essay, they write about the ending. It shouldn't be.

Let's take an example. A question asks:

" Choose a play in which there is a scence in which an important truth is revealed, and discuss how the revelation of this important truth is important to your understanding of the character "

Personally i prefer to go straight in with reference to ask. Ie.
A view from the bridge by Arthur Miller is a play in which an important truth is revealed . The play centres around the life of the main character, Eddie, and his family as they take in two illegal immigrants. During the play Eddie's actions appear very abnormal for a father figure and it is difficult for the reader to understand his actions. However, during act one when Catherine, Eddie's daughter, walks out of the bedroom with her lover Rodolpho; the important truth that Eddie is in fact in love with Catherine is revealed, as " Eddie grabs her and forcefully kisses her on the mouth ". This truth is important as it provides reasoning and explanation behind Eddie's actions and hence allows the reader to understand his character.

SO what i've done there.

- Reference to task.
- Small insight into the play.
-Said what the truth is.
-Said why it is important.

Then you must go on to provide evidence to show why the revelation of the important truth allows you to understand the character.

In the example i provided above, i would then ( new paragraph ) go on to list quotes and discuss them, saying how his actions are very abnormal and how i find it difficult to understand his character until the important truth is revealed.

I understand what i have said may be a little confusing, but mainly just make sure you refer to the task.

I hope that help a little! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Inlineadam

It's important to answer the question in the order the question is in! For example, a question about ending, alot of people tend to write everything they know about the play and then at the end of their essay, they write about the ending. It shouldn't be.

" Choose a play in which there is a scence in which an important truth is revealed, and discuss how the revelation of this important truth is important to your understanding of the character "

A view from the bridge by Arthur Miller is a play in which an important truth is revealed . The play centres around the life of the main character, Eddie, and his family as they take in two illegal immigrants. During the play Eddie's actions appear very abnormal for a father figure and it is difficult for the reader to understand his actions. However, during act one when Catherine, Eddie's daughter, walks out of the bedroom with her lover Rodolpho; the important truth that Eddie is in fact in love with Catherine is revealed, as " Eddie grabs her and forcefully kisses her on the mouth ". This truth is important as it provides reasoning and explanation behind Eddie's actions and hence allows the reader to understand his character.

SO what i've done there.

- Reference to task.
-Said what the truth is.

Then you must go on to provide evidence to show why the revelation of the important truth allows you to understand the character.

In the example i provided above, i would then ( new paragraph ) go on to list quotes and discuss them, saying how his actions are very abnormal and how i find it difficult to understand his character until the important truth is revealed.

I understand what i have said may be a little confusing, but mainly just make sure you refer to the task.

Wow thank you so much, that really helped :smile:
Remember TEAM, TART and TARTY.

For introduction: TART
T - Title
A - Author
R - Response
T - Themes

Paragraphs (aim for at least 3): TEAM
T - Topic sentence (What is this paragraph is about)
E - Evidence (Quotes)
A -Analysis (HOW etc.)
M - Message (What message does this show?)

Conclusion - TARTY
T - Text name
A - Author
R - Response (concluding one)
T - Theme (Relevant to question)
Y- Your opinion (Evaluation etc.)

This is for English (a quite childish way of remembering how to structure but it works). Key is to link between paragraphs. So if you do a paragraph on one thing, the next paragraph could be about something similar in technique or theme. Connecting words (Secondly, Also etc.) are good for starting your topic sentence with. When I do essays I usually paragraph by theme rather than technique unless the question is only on one theme.

Hope this helps :smile:

SO what i've done there.

- Reference to task.
-Said what the truth is.

i know you posted this years ago but i am doing higher englsh and you really helped me out, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending