This discussion is closed.
El_Borish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
ok, i know d put in the 1gb of ram, but recently i, and i am led to believe, many thers are starting to get the "server too busy" message again.

at the same time, the reported member count is somehwere in the region of 85000, most of whom, it seems, come on, post a couple of things, and then disappear into the ether never to be seen again.

i dont know if loads of members will take up the server, but what about if search was done on all accounts with 10 or less posts, and inactive for the last month, (this would suggest they aren't coming back), and disable the accounts, thereby freeing up server or memory space?

my knowledge on thi subject isnt great, but its just an idea i had a while back?!
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by El_Borish)
ok, i know d put in the 1gb of ram, but recently i, and i am led to believe, many thers are starting to get the "server too busy" message again.

at the same time, the reported member count is somehwere in the region of 85000, most of whom, it seems, come on, post a couple of things, and then disappear into the ether never to be seen again.

i dont know if loads of members will take up the server, but what about if search was done on all accounts with 10 or less posts, and inactive for the last month, (this would suggest they aren't coming back), and disable the accounts, thereby freeing up server or memory space?

my knowledge on thi subject isnt great, but its just an idea i had a while back?!
huh? what u on about

oh and whats 'd' that evry1 keeps talkin about?
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by lumpycustard)
huh? what u on about

I think he's the one who created this forum.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
I think he's the one who created this forum.
oooooh aaaaaah

well done d!!!
El_Borish
Rep:
?
huh? what u on about

d is the owner and operator of this forum, or "mr forum person" as he calls himself!

the server seems a little overloaded due to hundreds of new members who dont stay longer than a week, so this is a suggestion to cut out some of the 'dead wood' if you will

NOTE: this is in no way an attempt to get rid of regularly posting, if not annoing, members!
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

are the unregistered users making the server busy because there is loads of them
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

The problem is one with people requesting pages using both server resources and bandwidth. Old members that arn't currently active are not causing the problems. You seem to have mixed up disk space with memory and bandwidth.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I think that the problem is the big load of users (registered or not) trying to connect to the forum at the same time.
Maybe could be that.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by eric bischoff)
are the unregistered users making the server busy because there is loads of them
Yes your right. I can't work out why so many guests are constantly just browsing the forum. You would think most of them would want to register so they can post their opinions.
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
d is the owner and operator of this forum, or "mr forum person" as he calls himself!

the server seems a little overloaded due to hundreds of new members who dont stay longer than a week, so this is a suggestion to cut out some of the 'dead wood' if you will

NOTE: this is in no way an attempt to get rid of regularly posting, if not annoing, members!
I agree, too many people register, post '*insert subject* coursework help' and are never seen again once theyve got their answers, anybody inactive over two months (one seems a bit harsh, if you go to australia or anything ud be removed by the time you get back)should be removed. Is there any way to impose a limit on the number of guests viewing the page at the same time too???
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
Yes your right. I can't work out why so many guests are constantly just browsing the forum. You would think most of them would want to register so they can post their opinions.
what is the point staying unregistered.There making the server busy so people who are active and registered cant post
El_Borish
Rep:
?
(Original post by NikNak)
yeah, i dont quite understand this myslef... bt we can;t very well ban them from browsing! (well i spose you COULD, but...)

so non-active members dont contribute to the problem? ok, i told you i dont know much abpout this stuff!
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
kool. well dont delete meee! lol i cud b nasty and ask for someone 2 b deleted but a) that wont happen b) only coz of personal probs anmd c) im not that mean.

one of erics bricks will do... lol
LPK
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
kool. well dont delete meee! lol i cud b nasty and ask for someone 2 b deleted but a) that wont happen b) only coz of personal probs anmd c) im not that mean.

one of erics bricks will do... lol
what do i throw the bricks at the unregistered people or the server
El_Borish
Rep:
?
(Original post by George-W-Duck)
I agree, too many people register, post '*insert subject* coursework help' and are never seen again once theyve got their answers, anybody inactive over two months (one seems a bit harsh, if you go to australia or anything ud be removed by the time you get back)should be removed. Is there any way to impose a limit on the number of guests viewing the page at the same time too???
you'd think just for tidyyness' sake you might want to delete them!

i dont know about unreg limitations, maybe this'll be a feature of vB3
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by eric bischoff)
what do i throw the bricks at the unregistered people or the server
never mind, i was on about a certain person, but u cn thro bricks at whatever u wana.

u want a cookie? does anyone?
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by George-W-Duck)

To be fair, this *is* a learning forum and so I can't see there's anything wrong with coming on to ask for help.

The thing is I keep getting the server busy message when there are only about 200 people on here, including guests - I thought this new RAM was supposed to be able to deal with that kind of number?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The problem with this forum is its a victim of its own sucess, when I search for things on google its not un common for this site to come up. It seems every thread is indexed which causes problems.This is why there are so many guests. I would probably guess that guests spend less than 2 minutes on the site, at which point they will either register or leave.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It may well be a bandwidth issue rather than RAM. I am assuming that he has the server at home in which case, he is probably only on some kind of ADSL link.

D is hosting a large number of sites on the server (not just this one) and may even be using it for all kinds of other purposes.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
The problem with this forum is its a victim of its own sucess, when I search for things on google its not un common for this site to come up. It seems every thread is indexed which causes problems.This is why there are so many guests. I would probably guess that guests spend less than 2 minutes on the site, at which point they will either register or leave.
That could be managed to tell the search engines to not look inside the web page, robots.txt as far as I know.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (105)
43.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (39)
16.25%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (91)
37.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
2.08%

Watched Threads