This discussion is closed.
El_Borish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
The problem with this forum is its a victim of its own sucess, when I search for things on google its not un common for this site to come up. It seems every thread is indexed which causes problems.This is why there are so many guests. I would probably guess that guests spend less than 2 minutes on the site, at which point they will either register or leave.
yep, i've been noticing it come up whenever an acedmic question is searched. so you think its people browsing old threads? maybe a deletion of thread before certain date?

WHERES OLLIE WHEN YOU NEED HIM?!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
To be fair, this *is* a learning forum and so I can't see there's anything wrong with coming on to ask for help.

The thing is I keep getting the server busy message when there are only about 200 people on here, including guests - I thought this new RAM was supposed to be able to deal with that kind of number?
Personaly I would have thought 512mb RAM was enough (the amount they had before). The problem here is probably more to do with processing power. Also maybe there is just plain straightforward bandwidth restrictions in amount the physical cables can carry at the hosts. Mind you they should be able to cope with 100mbps which should be more than enough for this forum.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by El_Borish)
yep, i've been noticing it come up whenever an acedmic question is searched. so you think its people browsing old threads? maybe a deletion of thread before certain date?

WHERES OLLIE WHEN YOU NEED HIM?!
Yep to be honest if some of the threads (i.e over 6 months old) were deleted it would probably solve a lot of problems. The months old threads newbies bring back up were probably found via google.
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The problem with this forum is its a victim of its own sucess, when I search for things on google its not un common for this site to come up. It seems every thread is indexed which causes problems.This is why there are so many guests. I would probably guess that guests spend less than 2 minutes on the site, at which point they will either register or leave.
Agreed...it is possible to prevent spiders from indexing the site but then you are cutting down on the number of new users who will come across the site and maybe end up regular visitors.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Personaly I would have thought 512mb RAM was enough (the amount they had before). The problem here is probably more to do with processing power. Also maybe there is just plain straightforward bandwidth restrictions in amount the physical cables can carry at the hosts. Mind you they should be able to cope with 100mbps which should be more than enough for this forum.
Yes but if what other people have said is true, d is just a student running the server from home. That means that he isn't going to be on more than a 1mb connection unless he is very rich which I doubt since he is a student.
El_Borish
Rep:
?
Yep to be honest if some of the threads (i.e over 6 months old) were deleted it would probably solve a lot of problems. The months old threads newbies bring back up were probably found via google.
it seems that themes often arise, with people usually asking for help on similar things. by that reasoning, if its 6 months old, theres probebly a more recent thread on the same subject.
El_Borish
Rep:
?
(Original post by NikNak)
Yes but if what other people have said is true, d is just a student running the server from home. That means that he isn't going to be on more than a 1mb connection unless he is very rich which I doubt since he is a student.
rich students?! what is the world coming to?
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It is a hosting company that runs this site, I know the hosting company but I am not sure if mods would like to me to reveal it. Either way D has to pay for hosting to a seperate company.

I think it is a dedicated server D is paying for however like you said it hosts his other sites not just this one.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by El_Borish)
rich students?! what is the world coming to?
lol - well in september I will be a rich student for a week before I spend all my student loans!!!
El_Borish
Rep:
?
lol - well in september I will be a rich student for a week before I spend all my student loans!!!
i can imagine the scene in the uni bar -

:eek: :eek: argh! a hundred pints! heres my student loan as payment!
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
surely if its a bandwidth problem then limiting the amount of guests allowed on would help?

i think the most guests on at one time is 400 odd, if it was limited to like 300 then it would be smoother and ablt to support more members
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
surely if its a bandwidth problem then limiting the amount of guests allowed on would help?

i think the most guests on at one time is 400 odd, if it was limited to like 300 then it would be smoother and ablt to support more members
That would be a good idea but I don't think VB allows you to limit the number of guests. You can allow guests or not allow them but I can't remember an option to limit them.
Ollie
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
hes not running it from home, he hires a server at rackspace, they will have a fast connection.

there has been a cull of users and threads before, it deffiently would speed up things (searches-which are an eater on the server)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (57)
4.85%
Uncertainty around my education (179)
15.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (130)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (166)
14.13%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (51)
4.34%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (68)
5.79%
Loneliness (101)
8.6%
Financial worries (39)
3.32%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (56)
4.77%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
4.77%
Lack of real life entertainment (62)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (104)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (106)
9.02%

Watched Threads