Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

Although it's an electrophilic addition reaction, and bromine behaves as an electrophile. Plus I never read in any kind of book that ethene in this reaction behaves as a nucleophile -- that's pretty weird. But as this question states it, so I guess it behaves as a nucleophile because it donates a pair of electrons to a bromine atom. But mark scheme rejects this explanation. It says that it behaves as a nuceophile because of having a \pi bond. Can anyone explain this?

ReputationRep:
    It has a double bond- an area of negative charge.

ReputationRep:
    On page 199 of the chemistry AQA AS textbook it mentions something about the double bond in ethene being a pi orbital... strange question though.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mark your answer as being 'wrong', it's just mark schemes are pretty picky (a nucleophile which they've told you it is, is defined as something that donates a pair of electrons) - say it donates a pair of electrons from it's pi bond

In the same way NH3 can act as a nucleophile because of the lone pair on the nitrogen.

ReputationRep:
    The double bond is an area of high electron density which would attack the  \delta^{+} area of the Br2 that was created in an induced dipole. Or something along those lines I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    I wouldn't mark your answer as being 'wrong', it's just mark schemes are pretty picky (a nucleophile which they've told you it is, is defined as something that donates a pair of electrons) - say it donates a pair of electrons from it's pi bond

In the same way NH3 can act as a nucleophile because of the lone pair on the nitrogen.
    Cool! So I guess that my answer was right, but as it has a pi bond, that's why it's donating a pair of electrons - I should've mentioned that.

Thanks anyway!

ReputationRep:
    The double bond is an area of high electron density.

When the Br2 molecule gets close, a dipole is induced - The bromine nearest the bond becomes delta positive, the bromine further away becomes delta negative.

Then you get the standard electrophillic addition reaction from then on.

ReputationRep:
    Double bond - area of high negative charge density, so when Br2 molecule moves towards it, the Br closer to the double bond gets a delta + (due to the negativity of the double bond) and hence the other gets a delta -, giving the molecule a dipole, so that it can react.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.